Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 112113114115116 117>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 8:38pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have been enjoying the Bay of Islands last year then spent a few weeks over Christmas pulling in some gurnard and blue cod for a change.
But it has been a pleasure to get the little Surtees back onto home waters and our favourite haunt around the Sargent Channel.
We had a slow day last Saturday but gradually accumulated 5 keepers, mainly on sliders with strips of salted kahawai and barracouta. Luckily my wife was on forn as she pulled in four of them. We met up with Far Quirk out there and had a nice chat on the high seas. 

Today we tried an afternoon fish for a change and headed out to just look around and see what we could find. We picked up some live jack macs at our usual spot just in case there were any kingies around then spotted some birds mooching around over by Motuihi. There were few kahawai, but under the birds were masses of baitfish. "Find the birds, find the bait, find the fish" worked this time and we had a hot soft bait session ending up with 12 keepers including 45 and 47cm beauties. The sabiki rod also picked up a nice trev. Zman smoky shads did the most damage. 
The live bait in the tank came home to be converted to berley.
Nice relaxed launch and retrieve at Bucklands Beach.  It's nice to be home.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:07pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where to start?? Midnight at work with a midday finish,race home get boat and hit KKB by 1.30.Where to go?? not sw as predictated but se ,so off to Kaiaua farms. Nothing big, 34 to 38 with 4  x 45cm deemed for a Sunday smoke. 2 hrs had 14 so home as the wind swing sw. There goes the nice ride home. Noticed lots of boats moving around,we just stayed in one spot,no burley no sharks.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:10am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 8:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out again same place same time.Yep another after work trip today. Out to Kaiaua farm 2hrs 14 snapper and lost a few in the ropes nothing big .36 to 42cm.Another quick trip.Then disaster struck on way home. The axle had rust and not picked at wof,bent up wards in clevedon,so towing home by truck sunday morningDisapprove Once home will look at get axle made up.But wife been looking around and 4k seems to the going price for new. Anyone have a preference??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you need to buy a whole new trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:09pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Sounds like you need to buy a whole new trailer.
yes will be looking tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:24pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw that little orange boat parked in Clevedon, wondered if it was yours.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 5:11am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I saw that little orange boat parked in Clevedon, wondered if it was yours.
Hopefully still there,removed all gear that was removable except vhf/stereo.

Talking to Nephew and they struggled to find fish over coromandel,10hrs and 5 between 3 of them.
Found Kaiaua can be hit n miss,usually miss but last 2 trips have gone well,since pumping out all the valvoline oil from tank and replaced with mercs oil motor is running exceptionally well.

Going out soon to meet tow truck so once home remove boat and start the buyingloking round. Currently sts on a  2004 voyager trailer so not a new . Might get a axle made up then sell as no rust in frame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 5:39pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally got it home(trailer) not in too bad a nic for 2004 might get a new axle made and fit new bearings and should be good to go,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:37am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A PB Snapper caught off Karekare Beach in Northland, last Friday.
Used a whole dead Jack Mackerel, un-weighted in 10 meters, over sand. As soon as I saw it, I knew I was going to release it. Weighed it in the net using boat scales - net was too small to fit it all in. Weight was about 13.5 kg including net (0.5 kg) so easily a 27 lb fish - head was massive!!
Used an 8/0 recurved hook and caught in corner of mouth. My mate was busy trying to unhook another snapper (18lb) so I had to be very patient landing it. 30 minutes earlier, hooked a big kingie but kingies do the dirty thing and it found the berley rope and broke my 30 lb fluoro leader.
Sorry, can't upload my photo.
Previous pb was 22.5lb
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:38am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 11:30am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also saw a huge school of koheru off Whangaroa. We foul-hooked one and used it which caught a udersized but close, kingy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 12:36pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Superb fish, well done. Must have been a huge buzz and redemption after losing the kingie.

Glad you could release it (not that I'm going to judge anyone - having had both my biggest snapper not survive attempted release). 

Such a productive fishery in that bay, despite long-liner attention at certain times. Long may that continue.

interestingly, I am aware of a similar sized fish caught not far off East Beach after a nasty easterly storm. I wonder if the big fish sense the availability of uncovered shellfish etc and cruise in for a look. or maybe it's so rough in the rocky areas that they prefer to move over sand during storms.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2023 at 12:15am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome great fish Roy.
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another one of after work trips, just had to try out trailer. On/off easy as, can do it solo if need be.

Went around to kaiaua farms and managed to get 9 small snapper,32/34,moved to a 16m mark I have and produced tiddly squat, undersize by miles. Fish not really biting but more mouthing,disturb after the weather??

And at least 12 gurnard all of 200mm.

Dumped all the valvoline 2s oil and refiled with quicksilver,what a difference,sat at 3800rmp which relates to 25mph ,return trip used 22lts as last time out almost 30lts,same conditions.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:57pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 11:13am
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey team,

Heading out tomorrow evening for a few hours around Auckland Harbour. Taking the little pup for his second boat trip so don't want to go too far.

Had a fish through Rangi Channel a few weeks back and got some good eaters on orange sliders and micros, but went out the next week fishing around the same area and off Cable Bay Waiheke area and got lots of small stuff - much harder fishing.

Keen to hear how people have been getting on and thoughts on where to go.

Cheers,
Jason

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 3:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes launching went fine ,motor went going good.Nil wind so off to Coro we went. Went our favourite farm but weighed down so no ropes to tie too. So anchored short of the farm and caught snapper in succession. Soft bait got hit hard on weigh down twice so 2 more for the bin. 8 around the 42/44 mark then went horribly quiet.
Lets move ,thats when trouble struck. Go to pull anchor up and Yes caught the mooring line,lot of backwards/forwards and gained some warp.Hmm now what?? Head towards farm and gain some chain.Winning.Ended up at first marker,released pressure and pop up came the anchor.

Went to another farm and anchored well clear. Then she who must be obyed hooked a hammerhead and around and around it went.Nicely tangled 3 lines so out with the knife.Time to go.Check prop for line and yes wound its way around. Freed so off to Kaiaua to top up bin. Another 5 iat 38/39 then water boiled .Hmm kings?? out with the balloon and up came 1 nice kahawai 600ish,gave it a second go and another kahawai. So totaled 13 snapper 2 kahawai. All n all not a bad day for a 5.00am start from home and return 2.00pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 9:49pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The cobwebs on my truck's towball told a story of the crap weekend weather in the past couple of months, and family commitments on the rare mint days.

So this morning was a green light to try to Tamaki Strait on the incoming tide from dawn. Lots of fishy action amid the millpond off Beachlands in 7-9m, with small kahawai splashing at bait over a wide area, and plenty of bait sign - as Greenguy and Shark-Bait used to say on here, 'find the bait, find the fish'.
Well, I found the fish - on one big long drift towards the Ponui end of the strait I must have boated 25 fish on my cast or dragged softbaits - but 95% were 28-35cm long, and the smallest about 6cm! 

I put back quite a lot of small, but legal fish before realising that the chances of an upgrade were fading away, so if I wanted an overdue feed of snapper for the family I'd better keep some.
They scrapped hard, and the ones I brought home were in good condition. 

I hooked what was potentially a much bigger fish for about 2 seconds before it came off, but there was otherwise a complete absence of the 50+cm fish I expect to tangle with occasionally in the Strait.

Z Man 4" grub in Atomic Sunrise was the best performer, a nice bright colour in the quite dirty water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 6:56pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out today on the Nephews new Senator 7.40. Rides well and quiet with the 4 stroke. Went out towards Collville for under size/barely legal using softbaits and slides. Went on to use bait and the sharks arrived. Worked our back amongst the islands on way to coromandel .Hard day at the office with 6 snapper just over legal. Good day out . Spoke to a few at ramp and did no better. Thats fishing!!

Now on the bait front,used carp and it works. Liver and it works but one bite and its over. Mullet as per normal.
Page  <1 112113114115116 117>