FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 108109110
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 9:01am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some nice snaps lowbox. And great to hear the Kahawai are around again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 8:26pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice work Lowbox.  58cms is a good snap.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakedunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:52pm
jakedunc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Up at the crack of dawn Saturday we sorted the petrol mix, bait, supplies, and picked up a new tacklebox and rod from from a TradeMe purchase on the North Shore before putting the boat in at Takapuna Boat Ramp at around 8am.

It was not only our first time in the gulf but first time out in our boat and it was an absolute white-out with fog, so it was quite bizarre to begin with. We cautiously headed over towards the Rangitoto Lighthouse using the Navionics app, which ended up being a saviour.

We fished out from the lighthouse near "The Hole" and dragging a light sand anchor slowly drifted all the way across the front of the lighthouse and up near "Duder Spit". Using Squid and Bonito we managed to get about 5 good panny Snaps and threw back a heap of babies and just-unders.

We then did a move up to the NW corner of Rangi near "Spoil Grounds" and did a bit of softbaiting with some ZMan Motor Oil jerks and nabbed a 46cm snap, which put up a good fight. Also a wee Kahawai for the smoker.

Once the fog cleared it was a beautiful day on the water, with no wind and sunshine galore. An excellent maiden voyage for our new boat Loyal and many more to come!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Slow day out today but a memorable one for us.

Started off poorly... We had to flush some crap out of the boat before driving out from home. Anyway we get to the ramp to launch and realised I left the bloody bung on the back of the boat. Only live 2 mins from the ramp but went back and scoured.. Couldn't find it. Thank god our neighbour had a spare from his catamaran and was able to lend for the day!

We headed out to Rakino/Motutapu to a few spots that usually produce the goods consistently for us but no interest. We decided to try a new area we hadn't fished before and trolled a bibbed Rapala in white/red along the headlands on the way.

Well glad we did because we picked up our first legal king! He went about 11kg and estimate 90-95cm but had to cut him to fit in the chilly!

Aside from that we nabbed 3 40cm snapper that went home for the neighbour!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:08am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work! Must troll a Rapala myself sometimes!

Went out to Rangi again yesterday - slow and small snaps so went up to Rakino which was better but then died. So went to Motuihe and cleaned up. Curly tail softbaits doing the damage, The microjig caught so many small fish I ended up putting it away. One hit on a Kabura but it was a 46cm model so that was OK.

Enjoying softbaiting with the Daiwa Certate - so smooooooth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 4:33pm
Rumblefish1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was off orewa beach just off the river mouth again today no action on sliders today but old school bait and long drifts today got the goods was a slow soft bufe though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:50pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out in the fog this morning  - it was bloody thick and I wasn't sure I'd made a good call. Followed the GPS to Rangi and got zilched and headed for Rakino. In the fog. No visibility. A bit stressful, peering into the fog and trying to stay at a safe speed in case something loomed out of the fog. Which they did -with plenty of room to avoid.

but at Rakino channel there were birds, and KY , and Snaps underneath. They hit the Kabura (but not the softballs or microjigs) hard. As soon as I dropped from the surface to the bottom another snap would hit it. Everything else was ignored.

Then the Kahawai hit the softies. Man we are lucky to have such great fighting fish that we don't even care much for!  I took some for the smoker - and the fun.

Then the fog cleared and I went home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:12am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would've loved a morning fish but had work. Opted to start at 530am and finished at 2pm.

On the water by 330pm we decided to stay near and fished the northern side of Rangi working our way along the coast.

Slow fishing with intermittent bites but no hook ups. Trolled a rapala to try our luck around some coastline but no cigar.

With light fading fast we stopped for a snapper fish and picked up a nice 45cm eater and a kahawai before heading home.

Can't fish today unfortunately...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 11:42am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With a killer purple sunset too

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:10pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Friday Saturday down coro. Friday arvo  half tide short bite time and came in with a good feed. Saturday half tide in coming the same. went back out half out going tide as the sun was going down and real nice fish up to 48cm. fishing two hundred mtrs of shore by a little reef.great time away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Still not creaming it on the fihs however todya better than the last few trips.

Bagged 3 nice Kahawai and a 57cm snapper who fell for a Catch Livey with stinger hook.

Now look I thought that these were all some marketing bull**** but I am completely converted on these things.

The last 4 snapper I have caught have all been om thay cheeky little hook.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:21pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They definitely work but they don't last long. I've had that red thread get munched after one panny on a couple of occasions in one pack I bought. I won't be buying another. Maybe it's only worth putting them on when the bite is light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:25am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

out yesterday off army bay around by the channel 20mtrs home with 5 pannies ,a lot released that were 27-29. hooked a bronze that was around 1.5 mtrs ,boy that thing could go 150 mtr runs.
Page  <1 108109110