FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 106107108109110 111>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:15pm
Macca99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We tried the city channels this morning and it was very quiet. With a 6am low tide we were fishing from 630am - through until 10 am. Bar one 32cm fish and one undersized we just couldn’t get onto them.

By the looks of it many other boats were the same with a lot of moving around going on trying to find a patch of fish.

Hardest day I’ve ever had there at this time of the year for many years. Was it the tide? Or just “ that’s fishing” any theories welcome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:19pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We were out at 7:30 picked up two 36-38s on the first drift then went to Motuihe as I had a visitor and wanted to show them a bit more of the gulf. Picked up a bin full of 35+ off Home Bay but nothing big... well maybe one that look promising but spat the hook. Home by 11:30 in a very choppy harbour from all the boat traffic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jamesdaulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:10am
jamesdaulton View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's a little quiet on here  at the moment? Launched the FC 390 at Army bay Whangaparaoa at about 8:30 Saturday Am. Headed out to the Tiritirimatangi side of the channel after picking up a couple of Kahawai under the workups off army bay. SW came up quickly so headed back to sheltered water (we have a puppy on board so comfort is a priority) . My wife got a nice 95ish cm King on a white soft bait back under the birds. Very good effort on light gear in 5 meters of water. 

Lost 1x good snapper but pretty quiet on that front. 

How is everyone else getting on? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:05pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey JD, a mate and I chugged out on the FC390 in the Mahurangi Harbour area around 6.45am on Saturday and deployed some salmon burley.
Classic strayline mission, we committed to the one spot through the tide. Pulled anchor at 11.30am. Was slow n steady at first. But managed a feed and a few line pullers. Felt like we were on the lucky spot as others around us looked quiet. Pic of a nice flurry good pannies that came through mid tide.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 11:05am
onanotherjob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out yesterday around 1pm leaving Okahu bay heading towards cable lanes north of Tiri .Was out this way last Friday for th annual sparky fishing comp with good results .
Found a heap of birds sitting on the water around 1km north of Tiri near the cable lane .Sounder showed heaps of bait . Sabikis deployed and a full string of the biggest jack macs i’ve ever seen pulled up.
First live bait dropped was hit as i was dropping it slowly line began to run . The first king in the bin not huge but plenty of fun .
next hour was same result no long waits for hits had to just motor back to the bait every now and then . Released a couple more kings around 90cm .
Then learnt a couple of lessons on bigger models first lesson use a net droped on on side of boat not lifting it in cleanly net was beside me . Then got heavy on the drag with no need 45m deep sandy bottom busted off .Should have checked leader for damage after a fish or two .
I didn’t have shark issues but there’s some big shadows in the water .Wouldnt recomend a swim in the area
Wind got up and had a classic wind against tide ride home too Okahu .
Mate who was to late to come out was good enough to meet me at the ramp for a retrieve and traffic management in to my drive way at home .
All and all a good day out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 4:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great report, mate. Sounds like a fantastic day battling kingies.

With livies, do you use a circle hook or a J hook - presumably through the nose?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 7:57am
Bronze
Bronze

7/0 J hook through the nose .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 8:36am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty quiet in here since everyone's back at work and a few weeks of less than ideal weather!

We headed out 2 weeks ago on what was predicted to be a weather window. Out from Kawakawa the chop and wind was a pile of ****. We battled down the Eastern Bays to a reef and picked up a few smaller models but the weather made for an unpleasant experience so we tried up by the beacon out from KKB. Seemed like a day of undersize snapper. Ended up with 2 33-38cm.

Heading out tomorrow to hopefully land the boat (and our) first legal Kings.

Any tips of livies out from Okahu? Seem to be plagued by baby snapper on the Sabiki.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 6:31pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out today to Motuihe - which was slow with softbaits being picked at by the worlds smallest Snaps. Got a 44 and a couple of 35s before headed would to the northern side of Rangitoto, which was protected from the southerly and the bite was far better. Ended up with 11 before we headed home. Glorious day on the water, a real cracker autumn day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 11:55am
Sezza View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

We headed out past Rangitoto last night at 5pm for an evening fish. The bite was hot right on slack tide. Caught plenty of panny sized snapper, trevally and kahawai on strayline and softbaits. 
There were kingfish that was hanging around but not interested in our offerings. Tried to get them on a fat kahawai livebait and stick baits. They would chase the stickbaits but lost interest about 1.5m from the boat.
It was a great start to Autumn fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

as no one posts . I will be fishing tmrw 10am out of okahu bay. I am taking a weapon middle age woman with zero fishing skill .
We will target kingfish from the 45m behind the noises towards kawau. Is expectd the new 0%skill will fill bin quickly . If your out and about we are on the good ship “brokeback
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sezza Sezza wrote:

We headed out past Rangitoto last night at 5pm for an evening fish. The bite was hot right on slack tide. Caught plenty of panny sized snapper, trevally and kahawai on strayline and softbaits. 
There were kingfish that was hanging around but not interested in our offerings. Tried to get them on a fat kahawai livebait and stick baits. They would chase the stickbaits but lost interest about 1.5m from the boat.
It was a great start to Autumn fishing.
silly as it sounds,my Nephew catches kings in a most unusual way,bit of white bread with the hook on top,lets it float out about 2/3 metres and kings grab the bread not seeing the hook or line and success.
She said you're deaf.No I have selective hearing.And thats when it started.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:27am
May View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Morning team,

Heading out with a couple from work this eve.

Just seeing if anyone has had luck down either side of AK harbour recently? (Past the Navy wharves and on the other side/ tank farm to Hilton)

Alternatively was thinking Motuihe/ Rangi Channel.

Was going to drift with bait and a couple of different slider/ micro jig options

Cheers!
Jason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:14am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last night in great conditions fished the front of Chelsea, through under bridge, up the channel in all our usual spots.

Caught nothing.

If I was going tonight I'd be going around rangitoto or motuihe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
May View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info Ecko - not so good on the fishing front!

I'm sure it was nice just to be on the water in nice conditions though Wink

Have to pick them up from Westhaven, so will do one drift down the city then head to the channels.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:25pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great. Good luck!
We've been doing well on orange kaveman Microjigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:44pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got out today after a few weeks absence from the water.  Fished north of Rangi lighthouse - only used softbaits. Caught a number of 32cm sized fish and only put 2 x 40cm in the bin. Used a multitude of colors and shapes, casting ahead and dragging behind - brighter colors got the better bites. 

Went round to Administration Bay to see if the anchovies were there - found hundreds of Terns resting on the water but no bait fish or feeding activity.

Lovely day to be out and still very warm - but with no wind and a small tide the drift was minimal and hence had difficulty covering a lot of territory.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:42pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very interesting report, thanks for posting. I can imagine those conditions today. When you're in those kinds of hot, listless seas, it just doesn't feel very promising once the sun is up.

Ocean Angler has posted a few times recently about great fishing in that same area, but I note they went out off Whangaparaoa yesterday for a softbaiting challenge, not Rangi. Probably tells a story!

Though they did poorly off the tip of the peninsula anyway, particularly given they are top anglers - only a couple of fish over 35cm in several hours. Seems pretty slow out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onanotherjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:45pm
Bronze
Bronze

Got out failed in the catch department couple of snaps no kings no screaming reals .
Was plenty of anchovies Boulder Bay as marked lots of Terns caught my live bait here jack mack’s eating anchovies .
Moved out as marked found bait and birds no hook ups .Was very hot and bright and much different to the last few weeks . Gave up as my fisherwoman wasn’t doing so well in the heat after a couple of drinks and no water .
Went around the other side home caught snaps along side of Motatapu and had a swim at Motuihe .
Day wasn’t a loss but the intensity of fish feeding was not there .Bring on the bigger tides for Churchill club comp next Saturday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:01pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My apologies - that's where we were, in Boulder Bay not Administration Bay. We were probably in a little closer than your marked area

Saw lots of terns but no anchovies unfortunately. Picked up a couple of 32cm snapper there too. The Terns were all parked on the water with heads up - no looking down into the water at all. They only moved when we got close to them, they'd fly around and resettle on the water.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Page  <1 106107108109110 111>