FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out With The over 12's & Under 20's

Page  <1 109110111
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clemmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 11:02am
Clemmo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice report Alanimal.  We also have similar hunting grounds- 'Rangi channel, Motutapu, Rakino and the Noises' but in the last few years we are dabbling a bit further out in 'the paddock' or 'out wide' as I believe it is called on here? (Still learning).  Pretty new to the whole ocean fishing scene having fresh water fishing roots back home but work-up fishing is where its at!

Anyway, back to the report! 

After poaching information from the 'Out with the twelves' thread (cheers guys) we decided that we would head out in the direction of the noises as these were producing quite well at the moment.  Our plan however was to attempt to find any remenence of the work-ups further out and fall back on the noises at slack tide if there was nothing occuring. 

With calm seas and next to no wind the trip out was quick and relatively unviolent, skimming over the waves in our buccaneer billfisher.  Just passed motatapu we saw a few gannets and a heap of dolphins but not much was occurring.  The dolphins were tiny! How many species of dolphins are out there? Are these just a pod of jouveniles maybe?

Anyways, we passed the noises and headed out into the abyss, passing heaps of isolated dolphins, maybe 3 or 4 in each group but no gannets Cry.  Finally we lost hope..there were no signs of any work ups in this area so we stopped and decided to have a cheeky drift anyway.  To our amazement this proved quite successful consiedering there was nothing showing on the sounder.  Below was the best of the catch, caught on a 6in Grub in 40m (photo taken the noises however):

Not huge but we were chuffed Thumbs Up

Probably caught around 6 or 7 30-40cm snaps out in the middle before heading back towards the noises.  On the way back the smaller budgies were working not far from the noises.  kahawai! And frickin heaps of them.  Every drop was either a 30cm snap or a horse kahawai.  Good fun/annoying.  The noises didn't really produce for us so we headed home on beautiful calm water.

Stopped by at a couple of the channel buoys to drop a few cheeky jigs.  No Kingies though.. When do they dissapear from the buoys generally?

Here is an early shot of the bin before we filled it completely Big smile

And as i have only just figured out how to upload pics properly here are a few of my favorites from the tiri area this summer:

Tight lines.

Clemo

>)))))> www.harbourheatpumps.co.nz <(((((<
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 10:54am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

well, I must say this:

It will take me years to catch the same amount of fish in the 6m that I did in the 12. The 12 was a machine!

It may take us years to have the same amount of posts in this thread as it is in the 12's.

All in all - its great to read what everyone else is up to - so lets get the stories running!

Thumbs Up
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 10:35am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work mate and I hope this thread gathers momentum and gets as large as the under12s thread.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:47am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Out With The over 12's & Under 20's.
Us guys that keep sabotaging the 12's thread can now hang out here.

As I was a 12" Fyran owner, I know how awesome the fishing is in these gems - but have recently upgraded to a larger cabin boat so i can reach out a little further and survive the rough seas.

Well, out of 8 weekends of owning the new boat "The Rodfather" I have been out 7 times. Only once returned with nothing. Soft bait only policy on the new boat too haha

Most trips have been around Rangi channel, Motutapu, Rakino and the Noises.

Here are some of the fruits of the new boat :)

This weekend - Kawau to try something different. Leaving 530am - if anyone is out that way let us know!!
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Page  <1 109110111