Options for chart plotters at a reasonable price?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JKJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Options for chart plotters at a reasonable price?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 5:53pm
JKJK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all, I'm just wondering what are my options for getting some kind of entry level chartplotter device? ie as cheap as possible, so doesn't have to be super fancy or a huge screen, just workable.  For my 4.8m fibreglass boat.

Given that I've never had one so i don't know what to look for, and I'm pretty dumb when it comes to anything technical too hah.

Can anyone suggest what models would be good to look at?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 6:05pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have one of these on my 12 footer and very happy with it. It’s a track plotter which gives me the ability to lock-in waypoints and track my drifts when I’m fishing. Works for me but there’s plenty of options.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fish-finders/garmin-striker-plus-4-fishfinder-with-gps-track-plotter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:08pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The most important thing to determine is whether you want a ‘track plotter’ or a ‘chart plotter’. The chart plotter shows location on a map or chart. The track plotter shows your tracks without a map overlay. The track plotter does normally provide latitude and longitude however, so if you know the lat & long of where you are going, you will be able to set a course for your destination.

With a track plotter, you won’t be able to see the charted depths of your planned route, meaning you could be running over rocks if you take a straight line. Hope this makes sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JKJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:15pm
JKJK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah I meant chart plotter not tracking - want to be able to see exactly where some shallow reefs are to avoid them for example

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:19pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple mates have Kandrew suggestion on their kayaks, they're a very good unit

There's plenty of easy step by step video tutorials on youtube to you learn any unit

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:31pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The one in Kandrew’s link is a track plotter, not a chart plotter. Cheapest chartplotter is usually a combo chartplotter/sounder (chartplotter/fishfinder in NZ) at around $600. Stand-alone chartplotters seem to be more expensive than combo chartplotter/sounder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:09pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheap and cheerful. Phone/tablet with Navionics app.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JKJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 1:06pm
JKJK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, its definitely a chart plotter I'm looking for - any suggestion on brands/models for a low price?

There's still a lot I dont know sorry - 

Do you need to buy any thing else  when buying a chart plotter eg the thing that goes in the water to make the radar pulses? (no idea what it is called)  Is the installation of this easy enough or do you need to take it to a professional to install?

Do you need to buy the charts separately or are they included?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 3:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A chart plotter shows structure & water depths on a chart. A chart plotter has a receiver either built in or as an external unit that is open to the sky that receives satellite signals to determine your position.  

A chart plotter tells you where you are but you can't rely on it to tell you exactly how deep the water is below you. For that you use a depth sounder (fishfinder) which has a hull mounted transducer that uses sonar to read the exact depth you're in and hopefully show you some fish.

Hope that's not too basic and clears up a few things?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:25pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Buy a 8 inch Tablet $250-300, and a good heavy duty tablet mount, and either Memory Map or Navionics software/app  and away you go....
I can get 3-4 days worth of fishing on one charge.  The cheapest tablets dont have a bright enough screen to be nicely seen in bright daylight. but the $250-300 range works fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 5:52pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The navionics app is ideal for me. $30 I think it is on the App Store and I just use my phone. They used to have a two week free trail. As mentioned above it is a map and the depths are slightly different from real life (that or my sounder is out) but it still marks the reefs/rocks etc and you can add your own points/marks. It is literally all I use 95% of the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:30pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a lowrance hook2 for sounder ($200) and navionics app on my phone and it works a treat. No need for a larger screen for plotter for me, once you get used to using the app on a phone it's not an issue. I do have the added advantage of having a rugged outdoor phone that can be submerged so don't need to worry about protecting the phone from the elements 👍
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:41pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kinda related and I don’t want to hijack however I’m thinking of getting a tablet to mirror my sounder.

Anyone got a cheaper tablet recommendation?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertiesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:43am
Bertiesdad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Samsung make a cheaper model- can’t remember the number. Check the mirroring function will work though- some manufacturers ( I think Garmin and Simrad newer models)allegedly have a defeat technology to darken the head unit screen if the display is mirrored to another unit through a network- wifi Bluetooth or wired. It’s to stop consoles being filled with iPads for a third of the price of the head units- multiple units are common in US on anything over 6m