FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oiling/maintenance of wooden baitboard?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oiling/maintenance of wooden baitboard?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What method do you use to keep a wooden bait board in good shape?
Have always used plastic up until now, but having purchased a "proper"ali board with rod holders (Cheers Andre Thumbs Up ) I have cut a piece of plywood to sit in the tray. Don't fancy the "fingernails on blackboard" effect of cutting into the metal while prepping baits...
Is it best to simply wash the ply after using and replace as often as required, or is there a way to extend the life of the board?

Interested to hear what others do.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:00pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ditch the smelly old wood. (will be after a few uses)

Talk to your local butcher or fishmonger and find some of the poly that chopping boards are made out of.

Easy clean and wont hold moisture that will start corrosion on the new bait station.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a ply bait board and a poly board on my boat. I just scrub the wooden one down as I do the poly one.If you have a removable wooden one you really need to scrub both sides and the surface underneath and leave the board standing up to dry. The ply on mine is part of the bait board and doesn't get smelly. It's still sound after 8 years or more

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If your green.
Or into sustainability.
Use wood.

Ply is composite.
A natural plank is better.
Plastic is just a lot of compressed oil.

Make your choice.

If you use wood some have natural,oils.
If not add natural oils.

Plastics will hold bacteria.
Natural untreated woods have natural bacterial agents and are a lot safer in food prep.

Hope that helps.

Sorry started this post over an hour ago been talking swords.
With a few people.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:37am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you can get hold of an off  cut of marine plyWayno it would be fine. A light scrape every now and then keeps ply good. stand to dry and keep dry til next trip out so it doesn't start to go green. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:58am
viscount View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

use a good bees wax with mineral oil, leave in sun for a while then put a good coat on, buff off then an other both sides, should keep it good for a while, we use on timber tutting boards at home.
beers wings and things
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:24am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

If you can get hold of an off  cut of marine plyWayno it would be fine. A light scrape every now and then keeps ply good. stand to dry and keep dry til next trip out so it doesn't start to go green. 

Yes it will last for years, mine is marine ply.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:03am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i use a wooden cutting board ,kitchen style. i wash it after fishing in salt water and leave to dry no smell.lasted for years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I put a scrap ply in my plastic bait board yrs ago...the 2nd one
fixed it in with screws underneath with washer to lift slightly.  Screws also stopped warping in wet/ sun etc.. and jumping out in rough water.
 I just hosed it down well . A light mist spray of gone in 30 sec .. well also bulges, carpets  upholstery, places green and mound may form...

Never any smells.. or mound etc.

Lasted 4 or 5 yrs.. then had to replace the plastic bait board.. slowly sort of chalked off...

This time found a larger plastic chopping board in a $2 type shop, big enough to cut and shape to fit with about 1 1/2" gap at the back for sinkers etc not to roll around....and drain hole that the ring plyers drop into back right.
 Again screwed in from underneath and washers.
 Again gone in 30 sec mist spray.

Oiling chopping boards is for quality more expensive old school boards in kitchens...not ply inserts in a bait board.

Having had both, I do prefer the plastic insert.

My very 1st insert was screwed from the top with counter sunk screws... that was a mistake.. slice across one of those accidentally and instant edge taken off the knife...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 2:07pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Timber best, make sure it is a dense wood, heaps more sanitary, scrub with warm soapy water, pat dry and let dry naturally, self heals and cleans, beeswax or just olive oil after cleaning and drying. our chopping board has lasted since 1984 and still going strong, is kauri though.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:14pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agree with notalloyit. A decent piece of thick wood is best. It is what I have always used. Natural oils in the wood help keep bacteria down, wash both sides and leave to dry. Never had a problem or found the need to add extra oil. Be careful what you use as might taint the bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:42pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My bait board is made of marine pky, the entire contraption.
I painted it with k36 araldite, it's a laminating resin. It's lasted a few years.
It seems to scrub up fine, don't care about scratches in it. Hygiene isn't a high priority really, and it gets washed with the salt water hose before I head home.
Sunlight and wood itself is a natural disinfectant.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For bait board.. just thick enough to raise the floor level of the bait board  only up to the front lip.
 Go any higher and things bounce off too easy.
To the front lip makes it easy for knife work.. filleting and butterflying baits.

As to extra work looking after.. there are far more better things to look after.. like keeping trailer wheel nuts CRCed...
Then in most cases are exposed to sun rain, warp if not screwed down... and a quality board will also do the same, faster than  a simple ply insert.

A bait board is not like a kitchen chopping board, or filleting board on the filleting bench... these are best being thick and heavy.. usually laminated and not cheap... and require better looking after long term.

The only place I have seen thick chopping board , has been on larger boats (7m) and charters , and that is usually something like the end off a plank, which gets a good scrub after use in sea water.