NZ Fads👍It's time

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:00pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

In Florida they produce concrete reef balls that doesn’t breakdown in salt water and place them over baron sand and they get good results, google it it would be great for beaches like Waihi beach etc, I know of guys who go out and place big coconut fronds in the Caribbean for mahi.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:51pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mattoo have you considered an approach on the basis that Maori or Maori ancestors used FADs. Within your link to the NSW website it states:

"History of FADs in NSW

FADs were first used by indigenous fishermen of the tropical Pacific by floating palm fronds on top of the ocean."

I'm sure if suitable koha was paid it may rekindle memories. Authorities would then need to reject the traditional practices of Maori and Maori ancestors. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek but I'm sure you get the drift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:12pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was aware thanks Fish Addict.

My reference was more a relevance to current times and similar age of bureaucracy within a modern recreational and commercial (charter) environment.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the most important question here is.

"Should we"!? Or "Do we Want to"!?

Is there appropriately a benefit or is fishing pretty good and leaving fisherman to find fish the best way going forward.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:54am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They save on burning up heaps of fuel -'environmentally friendly'? The fish come to you. If others still want to troll endless miles - they still can. But I guarantee you if you had the Fads, they would be where the bulk of the fishing is. The charter boats here in Vtu all fish the Fads - but they troll between them also - so a mix. But always based around the Fads.They are generally funding them, altho Fisheries drop a few in too.
These Fads are quite simple - string of floats. No GPS stuff - when they are gone, they are gone. Last variable times but generally 12-24 mths. The bottom rope is floating rope. The top 20m of rope has the be sinking rope - so when the floats break off the rest drops down out of the way. I used to tie cocnut fronds to them too. But they generally don't last too long. These ones now have like shade cloth tied below.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:09pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've done a few fads near the island I work at now and they worked rediculously well. We put them in high current areas between 5 and 600m of water and they produced a lot of billfish, mahi and wahoo until someone cut them off.

I was fishing really deep for snapper one day and actually hooked the end of the cut off fad line.

Steel I beam. A bit of chain, some rope and a few floaty things is all you need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontashya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:36pm
jontashya View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://www.nzherald.co.nz › article
Web results
Artificial reef's permit ends amid flak from conservationists - NZ Herald
If we knew exactly what we were going to do in life .........what would be the point of doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontashya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:38pm
jontashya View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:00pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The link below shows what can be done with fishing licenses...

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:40am
Platinum
Platinum

The link doesn't appear to be working Jason. I was going to post the same news but you beat me to it. Here is a cut and paste.

WA MEDIA STATEMENT
Thursday, 7 November 2019
Sport fishing bonanza more than a passing FAD
•     Network of Fishing Aggregating Devices (FAD) to be anchored off Perth, Albany, Bunbury and Cape Naturaliste
•     More planned for Geraldton, Exmouth and Broome early next year
•      Enhanced sport fishing and regional tourism opportunities to support regional economies
Recreational boat fishers in Perth and regional WA can expect a sports fishing bonanza for iconic pelagic species such as mahi-mahi and marlin with the deployment of a series of offshore Fish Aggregating Devices (FAD).
Fisheries Minister Dave Kelly today announced purpose-built floats will be anchored to the seabed at locations off Perth, Albany, Bunbury and Cape Naturaliste over the next few weeks, and off Geraldton, Exmouth and Broome early next year.
The McGowan Government will invest $439,000 of recfishing licence fees through the Recreational Fishing Initiatives Fund for the installation, maintenance and monitoring of the 26 devices over the next three years.
The FAD acts as a floating fish beacon in open ocean to attract schools of baitfish, which brings in large numbers of fast-growing migratory pelagic species such as mahi-mahi, marlin, tuna and wahoo.
Concentrated aggregations of these species make for a spectacular fishing for boat fishers and have been used successfully throughout Australia. Off the metropolitan coast, the Perth Game Fishing Club deploys FADs in November each year and then retrieves them the following May. This latest deployment will bring the total number of FADs off Perth to 12.
The 20 new regional FAD installations are expected to attract visiting fishers and bring a welcome economic boost to regional towns and centres, with recfishers spending $1.8 billion a year on fishing trips.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:42pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that... I should have checked
Looking forward to seeing what turns up on the Broome FAD......
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 4:32pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Titanic, Fishaddict,

Excellent, appreciated info.

They have there heads on in Aussie.

We need the game clubs, members and sports fishing council to rattle there dags to rattle others dags.

Or just do the kiwi boomer thing and put the fads in with public awareness.

No need to create a shipping risk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 5:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the late 80's I remember reading in an Aussie mag where blokes built a portable floating fad, it sounded ingenious and apparently it bought fish in and around it. It was sort of conical shaped floating prism, where the sides of cone formed a sort of hexagonal shaped device of mirrors, it was weighted at the pointy end to keep it point down. It contained a battery and pump system that fire a spray of water from the top of it angled to one side.

So as it bobbed and moved on the sea surface it would project and shine/flash sunlight into sea and had water splashing and shimmering on the surface. They used this on the east coast I assume in lesser current areas perhaps...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A rider.

I strongly support the use of fads in NZ.

But the deployment randomly can create high risks to maritime travel.

So if you are doing it off the cuff.

Be public, show gps positions to all and sundry.
Put a light on, put elevated flags on.

Fads are a great idea and should be used here.

Many have been deployed in the last few decades.
And kept secret.

Fortunately as far as I'm aware no maritime issues.

So be thoughtful and considerate to us all who use the water commercially or recreationally. And indentify publicly your deployment.

The consequences of your deployment are yours, so be very considered in your approach.

Consider your use of these as a protest with responsibilities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A local put one out N side of the Chicks in 110m... was supposedly 10m below the surface.

It lasted over a year, he said he got wasted by what he thought to be a YFT trolling a livey around it.

I think it eventually got taken out by a trawler as it was in a common route.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Good public info on the Perth model...

The locations of six PGFC FADs has mostly been in the public domain. In fact their locations are shown on C-Maps and Navionics charts for all to see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 4:09pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well the Aussies are streets ahead of us for sure in that game.

Seems like a dedicated Facebook posting will gather more interest here in nz to increase a ground swell to encourage clubs to get something done about it.

It is the clubs who should be driving it.
I would believe most of there charters state the encouragement and growth of the sport.
And the development of new fishing methods and the sustainability of the target biomass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbo55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:27pm
Gibbo55 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

TSFC put a couple of fads out a few years back. You would have to ask them what happened to them?
Page  <12