FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NZ Fads👍It's time

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 1:00pm
viscount View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In Florida they produce concrete reef balls that doesn’t breakdown in salt water and place them over baron sand and they get good results, google it it would be great for beaches like Waihi beach etc, I know of guys who go out and place big coconut fronds in the Caribbean for mahi.
beers wings and things
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 2:51pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mattoo have you considered an approach on the basis that Maori or Maori ancestors used FADs. Within your link to the NSW website it states:

"History of FADs in NSW

FADs were first used by indigenous fishermen of the tropical Pacific by floating palm fronds on top of the ocean."

I'm sure if suitable koha was paid it may rekindle memories. Authorities would then need to reject the traditional practices of Maori and Maori ancestors. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek but I'm sure you get the drift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:12pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was aware thanks Fish Addict.

My reference was more a relevance to current times and similar age of bureaucracy within a modern recreational and commercial (charter) environment.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the most important question here is.

"Should we"!? Or "Do we Want to"!?

Is there appropriately a benefit or is fishing pretty good and leaving fisherman to find fish the best way going forward.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:54am
Alan L View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They save on burning up heaps of fuel -'environmentally friendly'? The fish come to you. If others still want to troll endless miles - they still can. But I guarantee you if you had the Fads, they would be where the bulk of the fishing is. The charter boats here in Vtu all fish the Fads - but they troll between them also - so a mix. But always based around the Fads.They are generally funding them, altho Fisheries drop a few in too.
These Fads are quite simple - string of floats. No GPS stuff - when they are gone, they are gone. Last variable times but generally 12-24 mths. The bottom rope is floating rope. The top 20m of rope has the be sinking rope - so when the floats break off the rest drops down out of the way. I used to tie cocnut fronds to them too. But they generally don't last too long. These ones now have like shade cloth tied below.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12