North Cape ...Kinda report.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Cape ...Kinda report.
    Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 6:19am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent Monday and Tuesday nights under the light at the cape with my wife for a bit of a getaway.

It's a place I love and go there when the weather and commitments allow, so I know it pretty well.

Put back a couple of nice big 20lb+ snaps and ate a small fish on the boat and dragged home 5 beautiful north cape eaters.

Got three nice packies which is my personal limit + one extra because I just couldn't help myself.

As usual guys were there slaying them and more people are showing up in tinnies so the pressure is building big time.

There has been fighting on the beach I hear (over crayfish) which I won't get into here but the resource is doomed without quick and decisive action in my view...

For the first time ever we were checked by fisheries which was nice to see. I would guess they are there in response to the recent trouble.

One of them thanked us for returning large fish and limiting our catch which was cool and I asked about other fishers they had seen that day.

His response has prompted this report.

He said there were groups of guys fishing the Tom Bowling Bay side that are up for several days and each fisher is taking (high grading he thought) 7 big snaps per person per day.

He said if you look at the take of a group of guys like that on the 4th day it pretty much is sickening to see....

Good one guys and you know who you are.

I now believe without massive take reductions licensing and harsh policing the whole thing will go tits up like it has in most other countries.

Human greed and the competitive nature of man has been proven over and over to destroy pretty much everything good to eat or worth a buck.

I am sure most of these people have kids and some have grandkids...………

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:07am
Bertram View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

well said GARRY best post of the year we as the fishing public ALL need to make the change 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 9:37am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks for an interesting insight 

well done on your fishing!
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 3:29pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All you fishos who go on about throwing fish back etc are wrong the commercial take is over 90% of total fish taken. They dump all the prime big spawners regularly at sea which wash up on bayleys beach and others regularly, filled my ute up once for fert on the farm.

Until the rec guys wake up we are the ones who have taken a cut--
NZ fisheries are responsible for the maui dolphin decline read the science.
This emotive bull beggars belief be like all the sanfords etc and get your seven good ones and enjoy it while it lasts.

The greed is in the commercial and has always been with the powers in govt in cahoots for political party handouts.

Wipe your chin you jokers is what I say.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 4:55pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I must haev seen 30 or 40 boats between houhora to northcape.  Fishing was hardish and it must be the new fad see it on TV and race thre  - blinking egg fishing shows post up tiny bit of reef that hold a few fish so everyone races up, sad to see.  Had a quick dive at north cape late Sunday didnt see a cray, boats for africa.  Fishery is doomed for sure.  Heard though the rumour mill a few boats confiscated and many taking crays in berry, its been happening for a few months now.  Fisheries came over to us while we were suiting up but wernt interested in boarding us while we were half nude! even with an invite :P  Long liners working really hard to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:30pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No matter how many fishery officers there are, certain types dont care and will always offend. Can't imagine ever fishing with other boats close. A Fishing show catching good  fish, names a spot and like sheep people follow  in there masses and piss off the locals. Wots the alternative, Shows with no indication where they are fishing? When areas get fished out, Its nothing for boaties to travel for hours towing boats to better fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

9628. what you say is old news to all of us, and largely correct.

BUT, just because the guy next door is more abusive than you doesn't make your abuse (if you are an offender) any less moraly wrong and environmentally wrong...

Jakepitsville. I am glad I wasn't up on the weekend then! I hear the garden patch looks like a parking lot....

I have a couple of rocks that I know the comms know about but seems a lot of recs don't so If I time it when the pots aren't around as I did on Tues I get to pick from any number of crays. It sure won't last though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can't blame people who want to visit a great part of the country for fishing. But what can be done is to use common sense about what you take and what species you target. There are always A holes though.

Those number of boats is still a pittance compared to Kawau right now still.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 10:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

You can't blame people who want to visit a great part of the country for fishing. But what can be done is to use common sense about what you take and what species you target. There are always A holes though.

True Muppet, I don't really appreciate how lucky Iv'e got it here. For instance went out tonight at five after work Fished till seven thirty. Only one out which is common if its not a weekend. Out of interest how many boats you talking fish Kawau regularly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 7:10am
Platinum
Platinum

My guess is he is not complaining about the boat numbers but mentions it in terms of the potential kill numbers if everyone goes hard out?

I came here from some place else and certainly accept others right and desire to.

I just wish everyone would respect the ocean and the life in it, but that's a joke for some.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:14am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Garry 23041 Garry 23041 wrote:

My guess is he is not complaining about the boat numbers but mentions it in terms of the potential kill numbers if everyone goes hard out?

I came here from some place else and certainly accept others right and desire to.

I just wish everyone would respect the ocean and the life in it, but that's a joke for some.

Yep,see wot your getting at Garry. One thing I've never got my head around Garry why does every man and his dog travel North for fishing. In the Seven years of posting on here I could count on one hand the out of town boats that i have helped to catch  fish here. Sure I get alot of enquiries on my Private Message page but 90% I never hear from again. Maybe its a good thing but no doubt if things continue like yuov'e reported there will come a day when people will invade down South for better Fishing.Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

True Muppet, I don't really appreciate how lucky Iv'e got it here. For instance went out tonight at five after work Fished till seven thirty. Only one out which is common if its not a weekend. Out of interest how many boats you talking fish Kawau regularly?

Geoff was out a couple of weeks ago off Martins Bay looking at the south side of Kawau island. Instead of the water line horizon it looked like a city skyline, a lot of boats mate but again they are there to catch fish like we all do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 5:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great post.

But sadly it is the current, past and future reality and it will truely get worse.
That's a given.

There will be no return ever to the good old days.
I won't cry even though I want to.

I can't decry those born after me enjoying this beautiful country and it's blessings.
I'd like too but that's the progression of life.

We may hold out for hope that the balance of take from our resources is more acceptable but without population stabilisation as well it will be the same o same o.

We can't stop it or can we?

Support controls over poachers, commercial and recreational. Nail the buggers when you see them.

Consider the value of our resources and show self restraint in your catch and share that set of values with your mates and family.

Consider that the more people we create the presssures will remain so consider the value in a balanced human number option.

There will always be better days, but never ever will we be able to return to the past.

Managing the future is our only option.

Just take part in that management yourself without sacrificing your involvement and enjoyment of fishing and harvesting.

Enjoy what you have now.
It may improve, it may not.

Enjoy the moment.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 7:58am
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo its not all doom and gloom everywhere, The Fishery here is as good as its ever been and getting better. Every trip is like the good old days to me as you suggest. There wouldn't be to many places left where fishing is improving like here. Your comment on nailing the buggers, poachers unrealistic. Typical scenario here are gang members come from central north island, Quads, diving gear and plunder sack fulls from remote beaches. Fisheries been trying to catch them for years but they are so understaffed they are always behind the eight ball. You confront them its agro straight away. I have once, a mate lost a seahorse kontiki, they arrived back with there sackfulls and a Kontiki sitting on top. I was whitebaiting at time, could see my mates name on Kontiki, approached them, told it was lost yesterday. Reply- F###Off its ours. Unless you fight them for it thats the way it is and has always been since iv'e lived here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 8:48am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should be a copper or two with a few of the armed forces to do the job. The armed forces look for poachers from overseas why not our own?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Geoff you have a great fishery for now.

We all thought we had great places.

Crossing the bar at manukau for anything was unheard of.

Our tools have got better and the numbers who fish from shore to wide have exploded in the last thirty years.

Not meaning to be doom and gloom more the opposite, I didn't phrase it correctly.

I was trying to say that a lot of our fishing is really good.
Being a good fisherman helps.
Lots of opportunities.
But it is not as carefree easy as it was.

As for poachers, confronting not sensible.
But recording registration plates, time and numbers and descriptions passed on to the authorities is most appropriate.

Long may your region be a great unkept secret.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon if that guy gives their land back they would give his torpedo back....

Or not, if they learned anything from us..