Ngongy Brown

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ngongy Brown
    Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:56pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished in the rain on saturday and had been catching a few rainbows between me and my brother before hooking this one. We have both caught decent trout in the past upto 7lb and this was substantially bigger than those. We both called it for over 10lb before release but would be interested in what others would estimate it at. It was the thickness across the shoulders that was the real suprise.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not sure if photo but interesting coloured rainbow. That condition is amazing. Awesome fish 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice brownie Mike.
Knowing the size of those big dooks of yours I'd guess 11.5 -12lb, maybe a bit more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:37pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks bill, it’s hard to show off a fish’s true size when your somewhat of a trophy yourself 😆
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:40pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

not sure if photo but interesting coloured rainbow. That condition is amazing. Awesome fish 
sorry my poor written skills. I meant we had been catching a few rainbows then got that one was difinetly a brown.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:36pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Okay, this is going to sound a bit nuts, but if you measure the length of the Quiksilver logo on your sweatshirt, and then sort of conservatively use that to guesstimate the fish's length in cm (I reckon just looking at the photo, the trout is about 2.5 x the length of the brand name), you could plug the numbers into the old trout 'condition factor' table to at least get you in the ball park of the fish's weight.
This is for metric measurements...

My understanding is a condition factor of 50 is regarded as very good.

condition factor =  weight x 3612.8
length3

For example, if you assume a condition factor of 51, and the length is estimated as 66cm (66 cubed = 287496), the X (the weight) would be 4082g or 9lb-ish.

If you want to beef the condition factor up to 54/55, the formula says the weight would be around 9.5lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:25am
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks TTK. Did a few calculations from the photos we got, which weren't the greatest as my cameraman was knee deep in mud and the space i had was limited. I did quite a few calculations from different photos and got it somewhere between 67.2cm and 70.1cm. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:50am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

haha, I can imagine the dramas on the river bank! Great fish, by the way.

So if we go with an average of those two lengths, and round it up a little for good luck, let's call it 69cm.

Plugging in that as the length, gives a good guide to the weight, depending on what you want to estimate as the condition factor. As I said, 50 is a regarded as high condition, 55 is basically as round as a football.
By my calculations:

CF 49, the fish was about 10lb
CF 52, the fish was 10.5lb
CF 55, the fish was 11lb

So with all that said, I reckon your fish was definitely an old-fashioned 'double figure' trophy. And Uncle gives you the official thumbs up too. Well done!