New knot mono to braid for me …

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New knot mono to braid for me …
    Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 9:08pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having a glass or 3 surfing YouTube while my other half  is watching my kitchen rules and found this. I don’t know it but maybe it’s fairly common for others? and it’s way faster than what I’m doing with braid mono connections.  Would this be ok for kingies and marlin as well as soft baiting ???

https://youtu.be/dvXcVfCRR0k?si=JP60DeQt-WM09L6p

https://y.be/dvXcVfCRR0k?si=JP60DeQt-WM09L6p
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 6:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It certainly looks easy to tie. My concern would be the way the braid presents itself to the guides, there's no 'buffer' that you get from the half hitches on an FG knot, having said that I doubt that would be much of a problem. I'm not sure how the mono would streamline through the guides either - especially on heavier line weights. Worth a crack to see if it works in the living room. Maybe don't cast it though.

I use an FG like most do nowadays and it can last me a whole year on my light gear but I'll retie it if it starts to look shabby. I think that would be more important on this knot.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 3:01pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like that, super easy to tie.  Definitely only for quite light line though, I tied it in 40lb supple trace and it was pretty hard to pull it right up, don't think I'd do it in anything heavier and it is a bit more bulky than an FG as the coils are in the leader not the braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 3:37pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

I like that, super easy to tie.  Definitely only for quite light line though, I tied it in 40lb supple trace and it was pretty hard to pull it right up, don't think I'd do it in anything heavier and it is a bit more bulky than an FG as the coils are in the leader not the braid.

I believe the knot shown in the original post is known as the Yucatan knot.  Like you I tried it.  I had mixed success, sometimes it tested well and other times not so.  I agree, it's a bit bulky so I tied it the other way around.  Rather than wrap the doubled braid around the mono, wrap doubled mono around the braid.  It then pulls up as a nice slim knot and tested well twice although I did have a total fail once.  I was wrapping the doubled line 14 times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 11:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Here you go, this is the way I described above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 9:35am
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ha ha ha , yeah Smudge , I tie about 2 rod lengths of 6lb fluro to my braid  and get a season out of it . Not that I cant tie the FG but it does take some mental preparation  Big smile......and about 3 goes .
 The knot looks easier to tie , didnt like the musicBig smile  and where  ( oh where ) do you get scissors that cut braid like that ? I stretch it tight and I still gotta chew at it , any how  I will try the knot , wrapped both ways as above  but I think that the FG + 1/2 hitches  will be hard to beat as far as going thru the guides is concerned .
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 10:34am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've gone back to an Albright knot on most of my rods. It may not be as strong or slim as an FG knot, but I can tie it with my eyes closed in a few seconds. I add a Rizzuto finish. Still use an FG knot on my stickbaiting and mechanical jigging rods. 

How strong does a knot have to be? Listened to a podcast by a guy who does deep jigging in Aussie (i.e. 300 - 600m). He uses an Albright knot because the FG knot is too strong. Logic? If he snags up, he only wants to lose the leader and jig rather than risking a whole spool of braid. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 1:00pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is the knot I use for joining braid to mono for lighter lines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TASzTlhfouY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 6:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

I hear what you are saying MB.  In Vtu with Alan L I snagged the bottom in about 400m.  This was my first drop with a Diamond -Eye slow jig I have had success with in the deep here in WA.  The leader was 150lb and I was concerned I may lose the lot.  The leader snapped less than a metre from the jig so I got lucky.  That's if you can call losing a $50 jig and $40 worth of hooks lucky.  The terrain over there is just too gnarly for deep water jigging imo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2024 at 4:42pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know a lot of people RAVE about FG knots. I have one on my Torium thats about 3 or 4 seasons old still going strongShocked

However I am more of a fan of the humble double uni. Watched a few videos of it VS the FG and for the fishing I do, they both are good enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deltadreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:01pm
deltadreams View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That you tube looks a lot like the Yucatan Knot.  I use this and hasn't let me down - yet !!!
simple to do and quick.
DD
Remember: it's not a fish until it's landed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:52pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still use the Yucatan Knot on my baitcasters and overhead reel’s.