FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build - Tropic 12

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build - Tropic 12
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:05am
MarkE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After having moved to the Central NI and selling off the SS18 project, I figured id build a little 12 footer to use around the lakes here, namely Taupo, Kuratau and Lake O.

Looked at a few designs but just kept coming back to the Tropic 12 by Bowdidge Marine. https://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/tropic-12/
 Light, beamy and a huge amount of fishing room for a 12ft made it an obvious choice.

Wasn't originally gong to do a build thread so forgive me for a late start Wink

At this stage we have the hull panels (6mm Meranti ply) all glued up and the Keel and chine taped with 400g double bias glass.
Next up we will be skinning the complete hull with another layer of 400g DB.

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow you have quite a headstart on me there. 

I found that there are quite a few lakes in the Canterbury region where even a small dinghy can get you into the fish. I have never been skunked on Lake Georgina, where the  shore based casters rarely see them. Just drifting off the shore and casting back towards land works well. 

Consider a pair of dinghy wheels. Ramps? Who needs them. Then you can launch off Manu bay in Raglan and go off the West Coast on good days. I did that multiple times and was always fun. I learned to always go early in the day before the seabreeze picks up.