New boat - fat snaps - 4 stitches

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boat - fat snaps - 4 stitches
    Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:42pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Woke up a 4am this morning, launched at Kawakawa bay just before 5am for a solo softbait session. Tried a few different spots before settling into a looooong drift along the channel between Ponui and Waiheke islands. Best colour of the day was Pink Shine crazylegs, followed closely by Nuclear Chicken 5" shads. 5/8oz jig head was needed because I don't have a drogue yet and the wind was quite brisk early on. Picked up a few barely legals and then once I got near the sand bar marker at about 7:30am it was all on - all males and getting bigger every time, kept 6 from 40cm to 50cm, good hard fights out of them too.

I was planning on taking my limit because I was supposed to be attending a big family BBQ tonight and wanted to turn up with plenty of fresh snapper - but that wasn't to be... While stabbing the 50cm one in the head, the blade of the small razor sharp paring knife got stuck in it's skull. I was holding the fish down with my left hand and trying to pull the knife out - and as the knife came out the snapper gave an almighty kick, resulting in a deep gash between the thumb and forefinger of my left hand. Blood spraying everywhere, I had to think quick - chucked the snapper in the chilly bin, took my shirt off and wrapped my injured hand up nice and tight - started up the mighty 30hp yamaha and put the hammer down, racing back to the ramp (sorry for any fishos I may have buzzed too close - emergency). When I got the the ramp, there were some people working on a trailer sailer, and one of them (Pete?) was kind enough to go get my car and retrieve my boat for me.

Then luckily the coastguard were at the ramp, and the good buggers patched me up, then stropped the boat down, fitted the lightboard, put my rods and chilly bin in the car etc. Great bunch of guys - appreciated! Then it was home to drop the boat off, and my long suffering 7.5 months pregnant wife took me to the A & E - 2 hours later I have 4 stitches in my hand and a course of antibiotics - no boating for me for a couple of weeks :(

A couple of mates were good enough to pop round and fillet my catch for me Hugafter I managed to flush the motor and wash all the blood off the boat single handed (literally). Exhausting day, but I feel lucky to have met a few good samaritans - hope I can help someone out to recharge the karma account!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 5:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL One of them days eh. Still got some decent fish and a lot of good guys helping out. Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:30pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Tele

Pm your address & I will mail you a SS iki stick ... a bit late
now admittedly but may prevent a repeat.         
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Tele

Bloody legend - will do!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capnnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 7:09pm
Capnnod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shame about the finale!  For those that aren't members join COASTGUARD these guys do a terrific job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 7:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Couldn't agree more - I joined the coastguard and insured the boat before it left my driveway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:45pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

No boating for a couple of weeks? WTF???

Get yourself a barrier glove, the medical jobbies and put that over your wound and get back out there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Just worried about disturbing the stitches when launching and retrieving - i guess if I had a willing accomplice to do the hard yards I might be ok...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:58pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

You will be fine! Just go easy and it will be ok. Even tape your thumb and finger together and you will be sweet! (Tape em together after putting the glove on!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If it helps at all: Supa Glue is fantastic for fixing pesky skin flaps reopening

Great for when you have just sliced yrself also

clean the wound
drop a couple of drops into the crevice
and squeeze shut

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:29pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good + bad, eh?Cry
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:53pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Tele29 Tele29 wrote:

Tele

Bloody legend - will do!

PM received, iki spike custom made & on its' way.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:20pm
firefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I find getting the iki spot a bit hit and miss. I prefer to use blunt force trauma in the form of a fish bat. Hope cut heals well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:24pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by firefish firefish wrote:

I find getting the iki spot a bit hit and miss. I prefer to use blunt force trauma in the form of a fish bat. Hope cut heals well.

Once you know what you are aiming for it becomes much easier.

The best way to find out what/where needs penetrating is to boil
a fish head then when cool scrape away all the flesh. At the base
of the backbone where the head skeleton forms a slender triangular
cavity covered by a thin membrane can be seen. It is this membrane
that needs spiking & death will be instantaneous ... indicated by a
short quiver & the upper back fins spreading like a fan.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Let it heal Tele, that's a dodgy place for a cut. Take ujp Bazza n his offer for an iki stick, knives aren't a good choice .... speaking from experience. still a great days fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:25am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This article tells it all....

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:45am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

This article tells it all....

Thanks for that Grant .... but not quite so sure about the horizontal pierce.

I pierce from the top down with a slight inward angle which helps keep
the fish still moreso than lying it flat to spike. Another reason is that if the
exact spot is missed a small amount of twisting invariably finds it within a
second or two & will know by the "feel" as minimal resistance when piercing
the membrane.

Nevertheless will give the method described a go to see if it has any advantages.

As an aside watched a com fisho tied up at the wharf at Hohoura busily spiking
fish that were already dead & tossing them in another bin. Was intrigued by this
so asked "Why are you spiking them if they are already dead?" & he merely
grunted "The Japs won't know tho will they?"

Having been to the fish markets in Japan & came to the conclusion there is little
therest of the would can teach Japs about fish or fishing that they most likely will
be able to tell the difference & NZ's  fishing reputation will suffer as a result.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:19pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As an aside watched a com fisho tied up at the wharf at Hohoura busily spiking
fish that were already dead & tossing them in another bin. Was intrigued by this
so asked "Why are you spiking them if they are already dead?" & he merely
grunted "The Japs won't know tho will they?"

Having been to the fish markets in Japan & came to the conclusion there is little
therest of the would can teach Japs about fish or fishing that they most likely will
be able to tell the difference & NZ's  fishing reputation will suffer as a result.

i agree, I can taste the difference tween a smartly iki'd  snapper and one thats been left to die in the bottom of the tinny for a few hours so im sure the japs can indeed tell the difference tween a straightaway iki'd and iced snapper, and one left to choke to death,especially some of the sushi/sashimi makers and so buy accordingly.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:16am
firefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tips on finding the iki spot I will give that a go. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 3:38pm
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The iki spiking info was bonza Bazza. Cheers Tongue

Cheers for sharing your story Tele. Glad it all worked out in the end and you got some awesome help from others!
Page  12>