FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Naki report

Page  <1 176177178
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ripples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:26pm
ripples View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, just to let you all know, our EBOP KFC Comp for May 9 is now cancelled for obvious reasons. Setting our sights on 2021. Good luck with everything!

Jeff
President
EBOP KFC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:00pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Kayaking is permitted in level 3 and so is fishing from a kayak      All safety rules apply as well as staying close to shore.
Great to get out there again.     Pulled my kayak from under its cover and was quite shocked how much dust it has collected in the past couple of months.     All set for tomorrow to make use of the high pressure system currently over us.

Watch out snapper and gurnard the holyday is over.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:28pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All the best Herb. Look forward to the report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:26pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Unfortunately I had a bad start.    Was fully rigged and ready to hit the water when a police car pulled up and a young lady police officer asked me if I was coming or going.    When I told her that I was ready to launch she very sternly told me that kayaking was not allowed.    When I replied that she was not well informed and should check with police station she got quite official and told me that she did not need to as she was well informed of what was permitted under Level 3     Since I had checked it myself in the morning I stood my ground.    It got very testy and I was asked twice if I was resisting.     She then recorded my name and other personal details.    I have no idea how far this farce would have gone maybe hand cuffs or taser; it turned  pretty ugly.   Luckily her male partner who observed it all at a distance phoned the station and then told her that kayaking was allowed.     Without any apology she got back into the patrol car leaving it to her much more reasonable colleague to wrap up this uncalled for drama.

I have worked with the police most of my working life and have met many great people but like anywhere a few big egos give the force a bad name.

What concerns me is that they go out on compliance patrol without making sure that they know the rules they are supposed to enforce.   

Had I not been so sure that kayaking was allowed I could have packed up and gone home and wasted my first great day on the water.

Did I catch some fish?    Lots of kahawai I did not really want.

Cheers

Rainbow  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That wraps up this whole thing in one sorry mess.
Better luck next time Herb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:39pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pulled out some nice carrots from the patch today πŸ₯•πŸ‘
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:52pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Big Albacore have arrived off New Plymouth.

Cheers and a Bountiful 2021 

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:18pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great news. What depth Herb?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 3:05pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Went out yesterday to 80m with not a sign of tuna     however a commercial tuna captain said they were catching them a 100m.     Water was cold but is warming up to 19degrees

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 4:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the intel Herb. Sporadic at best still.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:50am
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Conditions looked good from the salt mines, and thinking you guys must be hooked up to some Donkeys out wide, this year they have arrived early, herb you need to use the secret sauce to bring them in closer πŸ‘πŸ˜‚
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Tuesday looks good   6am at the port.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:13pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Will be giving the salt mines a miss tomorrow,see you on the beachπŸ–οΈ
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:20pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Three of us old farts went out to 97m roughly 10 Nmiles NE of the port for SFAdams.    Never saw any sign, birds or anything else related to tuna.    Total trip was 30nmiles  Water still cold and never went more than 18degrees even out wide.     Washed out blue colour. No wonder we  all felt buggered after dragging our backsides and yaks up the beach at low tide.    

Good trip all the same.    We must do this again soon

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:35pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Great effort Herb. You are in your 80s right ? Legendary effort and fitness.
I remember when you had a Frenzy and would fill up on gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:41pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

85 soon.    Just trying to make the most of what I have left.     Yes, I caught more gurnard with the Frenzy than nowadays with my much better yaks .    Truth is the gurnard have been overfished mainly by commercials for good number of years.    Maybe it is the same with tuna.    Would not surprise me as there are more and more supersainers/ long liners hammering anything that swims out in the Pacific.    I have already noticed a gradual decline in our tuna catch rate to what it was 20 years ago despite now having a better blue water yak, better fishing knowledge and much better gear.   

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:49am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Interesting Herb gurnard here are scarce as well. I barely catch any at papamoa.
I catch more Dory.
Page  <1 176177178