my smartwave 4200 build

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:26pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@steps and @onewaytraffic cheers guys!

took it out today for maiden with my little crew and it went like a dream! very happy with the setup!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:35pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:28pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool family pic. You look a little like a Korean dude I knew while teaching over there. He liked the outdoors as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:51pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm seriously over snapper and found myself in a mass mackerel workup on Mon so took a few for my family and my neighbor. panko bread crumbed them and the whole family loved them! will be on the menu again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That looks yummy. Havenlt tried macks myself .. but will do now.
How was the slimy mack in photo, are they good to eat as well, know kingis love them?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where else in the world can people like us do this stuff..and I dont just mean Covid... pre and post.
 And I mean the whole build/ thread to its final objective.

Now the bad stuff Wink  I read not skim stuff, and look at the pic in posts.. there is always some thing that pops up in the background..
 So going backwards up he thread.
1/ Those jackets have crotch straps stitched in .. we have them for the grandchild.. Do I see maybe one of them not cliped up right?
  Edit : Nope its the end of the strap that goes around the waist.. all good

here's how I store rods on small boats, tucked up and out of the way!

I had those.. mounted on the screw that mount the padded side panels to the gunnels.  The trouble is several where in the wrong place.. as step in the boat, where lean against with a good fish...etc...So I got a approx 70cm  strip double sided Velcro... and put the screws thru that.. its hook one side and fluffy the other. Got another top of the rear bimmini support..secure another 2 SB rods each side there...and lots rod holders..Thumbs Up

Edit: yeah those makeral are quite a surprise. It like difference of being raised on watties spaggetti (snapper)...never had the real stuff... then one day you have the real stuff...Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:23pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done with your new rig.
A cautionary warning with respect to your method of rod storage.  Rigged rods with hooks and lures attached are just waiting to hook up passing legs.  Unfortunately I speak from experience in this regard. Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:25pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

That looks yummy. Havenlt tried macks myself .. but will do now.
How was the slimy mack in photo, are they good to eat as well, know kingis love them?

yeah the slimy went real well! next time I'm going to gut descale crisscross cut salt n pepper it then on the coals! mackerel are eaten in Europe and UK alot and there are many great recipes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:28pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

A cautionary warning with respect to your method of rod storage.  Rigged rods with hooks and lures attached are just waiting to hook up passing legs.  Unfortunately I speak from experience in this regard. Ouch

oh no hope it wasn't too bad! the hooks are normally stored tucked under the Velcro,
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:39pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

oh no hope it wasn't too bad! the hooks are normally stored tucked under the Velcro,
cheers

The basis of my comment was that it does appear in one of your pics of the rod (in storage mode) that there is a lure attached with a couple of trebles swinging off it.

In my case after I had embedded one set of trebles in my leg I managed to drive the other set into my hand during the extraction process.  I was sober at the time but wasn't later.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

I once embedded an 80g salmon ticer into my upper thigh. It popped off on the back cast. Well in past the barb. Ended up cutting it out with my filleting knife so I could walk back to the car. Fun times. It only has to happen once. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:56am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

took a still from a small video looking at how the motor sits, very happy with height
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:58am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

note top speed, gave it a blip to see what the top revs were sitting at, this was 5720 fully trimmed up using 17.2lph
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nothing much wrong with those numbers. It's not a speed boat. 35-40km per hour will get you just about anywhere you want to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

50hp Merc height looks good.. think if changed either way to 'fine tune' you would fall out of that ideal height.

Gearbox ratio Please check this  2.33:1
 23.4 mph @ (20.3kn) 5720 rpms
Thats 23% slip... rather on the high side for WoT

Need far more grip, diameter..which will result in a smaller pitch  to be midway in manufactures recommenced  WoT rpm range at normal boat load.
Test something around a 11 pitch and another 1/2" diameter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:01am
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

50hp Merc height looks good.. think if changed either way to 'fine tune' you would fall out of that ideal height.

Need far more grip, diameter..which will result in a smaller pitch  to be midway in manufactures recommenced  WoT rpm range at normal boat load.

Double check your numbers steps
His max speed was 28.4 knots at 5720
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:37am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

yeah sorry should've pointed that out better, wot was 28.4 trimmed as far up as poss without feeling that slip and losing rpm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trimmed right up or trimmed to just before porpoising and/ or ventilation?

28.4 kn (32.7mph) @ 5720
2.33 gearbox
13" pitch
Diameter unknown

Hmmm thats a negative -8.2  something wrong with the data.
A negative slip means the boat is going faster than the engine Wink

Separate to the above..
 I dont have many small boats like this in my data base.
 Working on a 200 hull constant as a guesstimate puts the total gross weight on the water about 650kg
 Would t650 kg be ball park correct?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:51am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gearbox is 1.83:1 (unless it's a CT?) on that motor so slip ~14%?

220kg hull + 112kg motor + 160kg crew + 20kg fuel = 512kg, ballpark weight probably closer to 600kg all in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 7:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

600kg plus battery , cables, sounders, fish bins... so 650 seems to be pretty good ball park?

I queried the gearbox ratio above...asked to be confirmed.

Yes with post 1991 old gearbox   1.83  15% slip  which is high for WoT...about another 1/4 to 1/2" increase in diameter and 11 or 12" pitch ...
Page  <1234>