MPI Crayfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPI Crayfish
    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 1:09pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With recent cancellation of exports,MPI want to know if the commercial operators should be allowed to take an extra percentage at the start of the crayfish season??

Dear Stakeholders
Fisheries New Zealand is seeking feedback on a whether to enable uncaught rock lobster commercial Annual Catch Entitlement (ACE) to be carried forward into the next fishing year (which begins 1 April 2020).
Submissions are open until 12pm on 24 February 2020.
Tell us what you think about the 3 options
The 3 options that we are consulting on are:
A. Retaining the status quo: Making no changes to the Act, and not enabling rock lobster ACE carry forward; or
B. Enabling carry forward of up to 10% of the total rock lobster ACE, if uncaught by individual fishers; or
C. In addition to option B, also enabling the one-off carry forward of all uncaught rock lobster ACE, beyond 10%
Consultation document
Whether to enable Annual Catch Entitlement carry forward for rock lobster [PDF, 1 MB]
Reasons for this consultation
The outbreak of the novel Coronavirus has led to the collapse of demand for live rock lobster in the Chinese market, during the Chinese New Year period. This is typically a period of high live rock lobster demand and high prices. China is the leading export market for live New Zealand rock lobster, accounting for 98% to 99% of all exports.
It is uncertain how long low demand for Chinese exports will continue, or whether the industry will be able to find alternative markets before the end of the fishing year.
For most other species managed within the Quota Management System, ACE holders are able to carry forward up to 10% of their individual total ACE holdings that may not have been caught by the end of the fishing year. However, for all rock lobster stocks no uncaught ACE can be carried forward under the current rules.
There is an opportunity to provide relief to rock lobster fishers highly exposed to the unexpected market impacts of the Coronavirus outbreak, without creating sustainability risks, in conjunction with measures they can take themselves. Enabling ACE carry forward would allow for fishers to defer the catch of rock lobster to the next fishing year, when export markets for live rock lobster are likely to have improved.
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by 12pm on 24 February 2020 to [email protected]
In your submission, include:

• the title of the consultation document
  • your name and title
  • your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
  • your contact details (such as phone number, address, and email).

While we prefer email, you can send your submission by post to:
Inshore Fisheries Management
Fisheries New Zealand
PO Box 2526
Wellington 6140
New Zealand.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
FM Submissions

Fisheries Management | Fisheries New Zealand – Tini a Tangaroa 
Charles Ferguson Tower | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:10pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Primary industries are exposed to climate, market and local animal health risk. In the current Northern drought dairy farmers will be facing a major volume decline, maybe partially balancing the industries loss of volume to China by holding up the value of the balance.

It will still be a 20% plus loss in volume/income. In my experience of these conditions, with an increased loss with cull cows going before their time, along with purchased feed to maintain viable herds. The recovery will be 2  - 3 years.

It is a business risk. You bank the good years, you draw on those for the others.

That said, we have a new event. 20 years ago "we" would not have had the level of exposure to China we see currently. 

Having all your eggs/bugs, as in this case, or even half in one basket, is dangerous. Great financial temptation, let the good time roll. Learning the hard way is hard apparently.

Give them one years partial relief, them tell them to put a bit away every year for the future shocks. Cut the quota, make it as precious as Rhinoceros horn.

Farmers and commercial fishermen don't crowd fund urban redundancy, but they do majorly help fund an increasingly service based economy, God save us.

PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:58pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If as a recreational fisherman, I was to go out and catch more than I need to feed my need, so let em go. does that mean that on another day if I was to have a use for more, that I can add another fish or two to what I am entitled to?
Don't f n think so.

Fisheries is not a bank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The extension of that arguement /request goes like this;
If the prices crash for whatever reason and it is marginal to continue exporting, can they just shut shop and bank the unsold fish for next year? Nope.
Coronavirus is not an exceptional event - we have had numerous 'exceptional' events that cause crashes in demand/prices. Part of the business they are in. Same risks for horticulture exports, farming etc. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:34pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not an exceptional event....maybe why sales have gone down is 7.4 million people are on lockdown. I'd call that exceptional.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:35pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Ha ha ... tough titty .... best thing that could happen is for the market for crayfish in China has been halted, long may it last.

Exporters have not given any attention to the domestic market apart from putting a limited amount on sale at exorbitant price in favour of the bulk Chinese market ... bloody hell as a Kiwi customer I could not even buy a live cray at the chathams as they were totally preoccupied
in flying them out to China.

OK instead of crying "poor us ... please help" why not sell there catch on the domestic market at a sensible price ... say $30 kg ... after all as has already been mentioned farmers & pretty well all businesses have to "bite the bullet" when business starts to dry up for all number of reasons.

How is it that Canada can sell wild lobsters down here in NZ for NZ$20 each ? 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:15pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Not an exceptional event....maybe why sales have gone down is 7.4 million people are on lockdown. I'd call that exceptional.
I was in the Hort industry for 30+ yrs.
Lost 80% crop/income to one frost, bowled over with cyclone Bola, been hailed out. Each a unique event not to be repeated over 30 yrs. Exported to US with NZ$ buying 80c, dropping to 45.
What we have now is not exceptional. Normal scheme of things in the big picture. M Bovis - whole herds slaughtered etc, SARS virus, borders closed for trade for a number of reasons - shipments turned back over trade disputes etc etc.  This is simply business as usual in the long term game of exports and farming industry. If you can't ride these things out you are in the wrong game - tough as it may be. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 8:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They should give them a rest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Off to the Wairarapa tomorrow & have a couple of my cray pots secured on the roof racks.

Nothing will give me greater satisfaction than to score one or two crays that the comms have been having to put back.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!