Moving Auckland Port to Manukau Harbour

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 1:51pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

I thought they were going to put a big breakwater and new container wharf complete with a nice marina with shops and all off Muriwai. Isn’t that happening?
Could even do trans-Tasman ferry terminal while they are at it... maybe even a tunnel to Sydney in years to come.
Wink.  Some people just have no imagination!

This was an option looked at in the 1990's, stacked up environmentally but was too expensive.

There has been a number of feasibility studies done on shifting the port to the Manukau over the years and it has always come back too problematic for a number of reasons including a historical government pledge (not sure who was in power at the time) to iwi that no major development would happen in the Manukau Harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 3:16pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

It's politics.  They feel they need to be seen to be doing something whilst in fact doing nothing constructive.
Agree completely. Can't be any other explanation for wasting taxpayers money. Does anyone seriously think the Akl port is moving to the Manukau??
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 4:11pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looked at objectively I think that pcj is right, that Whangarei makes most sense.  It ticks all the boxes, once the railway has been upgraded.  But Auckland Port is owned by Auckland Council who won't consider moving it to a location outside Auckland.  So because of the interference of politicians we are getting all sorts of stupid suggestions coming forward.

When I first moved to New Zealand, 14 years ago, I was amazed that there was still a working port in the middle of a big city.  Most of the rest of the world had moved them out decades ago, as container ships got bigger and the requirements for a port changed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 4:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Whgrei I seem to recall was discussed a couple of years back. Obviously all sorts of cons and pros came out of the woodwork - people protecting their vested interests. but one issue seemed to be the volume of freight that was going to have to travel the northern link(proximity to market).
But this proposal as I understand it is simply about moving the port to the other side of the city - nothing else on the table. There is a good reason most of our ports are on the East coast. Unless they plan to reinvent the wheel.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 4:54pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It blew me away that this bunch of morons even considered the idea... let alone allocated more tax-payers money for a bunch of consultants to tell the government its a fu-cking stupid idea.  I mean seriously?! 
Next election cant come around soon enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:27pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

... Next election cant come around soon enough.

Election day in the 'West Island' tomorrow.  I fear it's a real possibility that the western cousins of the morons you have will be voted in.  The only consolation is that they are less left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pray for better things FA. The news here is it is close.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:02pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If or when Marsden Point closes down, wouldn't that make a possible site for a port.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

If or when Marsden Point closes down, wouldn't that make a possible site for a port.

Not refining - but still a major fuel import depot I think.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 8:07pm
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Auckland has what a quarter of the population? (Ok, I know it's not exact but it's somewhere there), therefore the % of total NZ consumption is the same. That's a quarter of NZ consumption being shipped elsewhere and then double handled to ship in to Auckland, if you use Whangarei. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they shouldn't be so precious about downtown and understand that the world isn't always pretty. There's a reason they put the port there quite a few years ago and that's because it made complete sense. All they need to do is increase the efficiency with how they move the freight within Auckland.

Seems to me, they want to shift it so a few out of touch with reality people, can walk around with their latte's saying how wonderful downtown is now they've moved the dirty ships out. Nuts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 8:55pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Whgrei I seem to recall was discussed a couple of years back. Obviously all sorts of cons and pros came out of the woodwork - people protecting their vested interests. but one issue seemed to be the volume of freight that was going to have to travel the northern link(proximity to market).
But this proposal as I understand it is simply about moving the port to the other side of the city - nothing else on the table. There is a good reason most of our ports are on the East coast. Unless they plan to reinvent the wheel.
Alan

Port Whangarei has a high profile advocate by the name of Wayne Brown behind it.

He seems to get a disproportionate amount of air time for his options - no doubt a fairly smart guy who has had high profile jobs in the past - but always has a lot to say for himself. It is hard to get a word in if you find yourself in conversation with him.

He is currently running for the AKLD mayor position.

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:02am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

There's a reason they put the port there quite a few years ago and that's because it made complete sense. 

It did make complete sense when they built it, but since then the container ship has been invented and they just keep getting bigger and bigger.  If you started from scratch with a modern container port now you wouldn't build it there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 1:42pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

It's politics.  They feel they need to be seen to be doing something whilst in fact doing nothing constructive.

That pretty much sums it up

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:13pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Pray for better things FA. The news here is it is close.
Alan
My prayers went unanswered Alan.  I guess it was always going to an uphill battle when the son of god was a chippy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - commiserations.
Look for someone to want to move one of your ports shortly.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <12