Mooring Anchor Chain

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mooring Anchor Chain
    Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 2:39pm
Bdawg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I've recently upgraded my boat to a Surtees 575 HT & would appreciate some advice please on upgrading the mooring anchor chain I used on my previous boat. The chain has 10mm links and is 3.8m long with a decent size Danforth anchor(it was overkill for my previous 4.5m tinny) but a yachtie told me to go as big as you can manhandle. The 575 is really a 5.5m boat. Would I need to lengthen it to 6m and could I get away with 8mm links on the extra chain or stick to 10mm. We anchor our boat for about 12 days in a sheltered bay. Thanks very much for any feedback.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 11:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If decent anchor set up, is actually more in how you set it for effectiveness . More drop and lay back into prevailing wind anchor digs and chain lays out. Wind goes more than 180 degrees during night, there can be a problem. That’s when heavier can help. But better is to reanchor boat with same aporoach. If achor is heavy enough chain will pull around first if going 180 but anchor will only turn on bottom and should still dig in on same bottom. But I am not an anchor so this is literally all theory..
What I do know is with good anchor set up, do not anchor in woody bay rakino with not enough warp out on incoming tide at night, because your too keen to dive ashore to meet a new girlfriend when you have keys to a mates bach. That usually results in boat going for tiki tour and bouncing off rocks in middle of night while you are having a nice time. My boat still has the scars and lady in question is now my second wife. So sadly that is what I consider really hazardous!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

If decent anchor set up, is actually more in how you set it for effectiveness . More drop and lay back into prevailing wind anchor digs and chain lays out. Wind goes more than 180 degrees during night, there can be a problem. That’s when heavier can help. But better is to reanchor boat with same aporoach. If achor is heavy enough chain will pull around first if going 180 but anchor will only turn on bottom and should still dig in on same bottom. But I am not an anchor so this is literally all theory..
What I do know is with good anchor set up, do not anchor in woody bay rakino with not enough warp out on incoming tide at night, because your too keen to dive ashore to meet a new girlfriend when you have keys to a mates bach. That usually results in boat going for tiki tour and bouncing off rocks in middle of night while you are having a nice time. My boat still has the scars and lady in question is now my second wife. So sadly that is what I consider really hazardous!

Big smile So much good advice in one post
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 8:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No to take any focus off Shaneg's hard won experience, but the weight of chain is the important factor. So you are not gaining anything by going to lighter chain - you will need more of it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 9:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont forget chain varies in weight depending where made.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 10:25pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couple of points Bdawg. Are you using an anchor winch ? If so the gypsy will be made for a particular sized chain.

10mm is overkill for a sub-6m boat, but you will need less of it for sure. 8mm would be ideal, but you would probably need 8-10m, which will coat you around $150. Another couple of metres of 10mm would probably work just as well.

Consider replacing your anchor, especially if mooring the boat unattended. Danforths are an old design. They work OK in sand, but trip out easily with changes in wind direction. A modern hi-hold anchor like a Sarca, Rocna, or Manson Supreme will work way better than even an oversized Danforth. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:26pm
Bdawg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your advice, No winch and the bottom is sand. Ended up replacing the entire chain with 6m of new 10mm mid link chain. Cheers