Minn kota or other and what size?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minn kota or other and what size?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:09pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking at putting one of these on the 14'6 but will ultimately like to put it on a 5.5m glass boat.
How big duo I need to go to cover both? Or will I just need to fork out again when I upgrade?
Also are there any options other than minn kota?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:50pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have the 50lb terrova on my 5m alloy boat and it’s plenty. If you have a cabin consider the ulterra model (self deploy). Go for the longer shaft length as easy to lift up but if swell is up
will work better as the swell won’t lift the prop out of the water. 80lb model would be awesome for the glass boat but significant investment (12v to 24v) 2 x the batteries etc. You definitely won’t regret getting one. The 50lb might be fine on the heavier boat depending how strong current/wind you will be operating in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:08am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have the 12v 55lb terranova on an FC560 C/C and a 130AH AGM battery. I must say that it has revolutionised my fishing in a lot of ways and almost never anchor these days.

The 12v system is just enough to make do in all normal fishable situations. The times when it is not strong enough to spot lock are times when you shouldn't be fishing - like 25mph winds and swell/current. The charging mechanism is a dual 12v VSR switch where the starter battery gets first look in for charging and when full automatically switches over to the House AGM battery - nice and simple setup. In sutuations where extended time is needed for say deep water dropping and staying on thr reef it is possible to run the outboard motor in neutral at a fast idle to provide all the necessary amps to keep going indefinately on my main motor's 35AH alternator.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:36pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’ve stuck one on my fc535cc video on the otdrmn YouTube channel.
Run as a seperate system and just charge battery each tome I get home
Here’s the first one of the 3 videos re the install

https://youtu.be/2VipHlrimjY

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:58pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any idea how much weight one of the 12v models is adding to the bow?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:28pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

3/8s of F all - battery would be way mire weight than the actual MK
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:10pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here are some results that I got off the net for current draw from a Minn Kota 12v 55Lb Terrova.
These results are pretty consistent with all other test results that I have seen.

Motor Speed......Current Draw (Amps)
1...................... 0.9
2...................... 1.5
3...................... 3.2
4...................... 5.2
5...................... 8.4

Remember you can only draw a maximum of 50% capacity on a wet cell battery without seriously reducing the recharge cycles, an AGM is more forgiving with many more recharge cycles initially available and a bit more available usable capacity maybe occasionally down to 30%.

In all cases recharge EVERY use as soon as possible with a multi-stage smart charger. If possible connect it to the main motor with a VSR switch that puts some charge into the battery on the run back to the ramp and also allows running the main motor charging during use if for an extended period of use.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the advice guys. Is it worth having the I pilot?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:37pm
Silver
Silver

i-Pilot with the heading sensor most definitely. It gives you the ability to move your spot lock position accurately, keeps a more accurate heading, store spots, accurately control your drift. My heading sensor is on the accessory switch, if I accidentally have the switch off (no power to the sensor) I absolutely notice. Without it it’s just a remote controlled motor without the real smarts that make them impressive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:58pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So looking at the powerdrive or is the terrace worth the extra dosh. Both at 55lb thrust
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nek minnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:10am
Nek minnit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So how much installed for one of these?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 8:47am
Silver
Silver

I wouldn’t go the power drive. The Terrova has lift assist which makes it a lot easier to manually deploy and retrieve and comes standard with the heading sensor included which you will definitely want. In my opinion worth the extra. How easy is it to get to the bow of the boat? If it is going to be difficult to get to the motor I would consider the Ulterra but this is a jump in price again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:49am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

I wouldn’t go the power drive. The Terrova has lift assist which makes it a lot easier to manually deploy and retrieve and comes standard with the heading sensor included which you will definitely want. In my opinion worth the extra. How easy is it to get to the bow of the boat? If it is going to be difficult to get to the motor I would consider the Ulterra but this is a jump in price again.

The auto lift models have been troublesome with lots of warranty claims.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 4:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use an 80lb thrust with I pilot.
Is a great tool.

I suppose it gives you options for a boat with greater windage, sea state and currents.

Joker I wanted one of those self lifts.
Have they really been that problematical.
Do you know where the problem lays.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:58pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

The auto lift models have been troublesome with lots of warranty claims.

I have heard that as well but it’s been a couple of years wonder if that’s been sorted yet? I couldn’t justify the auto deploy (Ulterra) but I have a center console so easy to get to the motor to deploy/retrieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by old timer old timer wrote:

Looking at putting one of these on the 14'6 but will ultimately like to put it on a 5.5m glass boat.
How big duo I need to go to cover both? Or will I just need to fork out again when I upgrade?
Also are there any options other than minn kota?
Cheers

I'd like to do the same for my 15' alloy - but limited space on the bow for mounting. Has anyone had any experience with stern mounted/tiller steer Minn Kota style motors?
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:19pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Easy to get to the bow. Is the lift assist only difference between them? How much does it do? The power drive with I pilot and same thrust is 1000 cheaper at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
Silver
Silver

This is from the trollingmotor.net website.
Check if the separate heading sensor comes standard with the power drive. That would be the main selling point for me.