FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mercury pro xs 115 command thrust

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury pro xs 115 command thrust
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:32pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, anyone have 1st hand experience with these motors? Tossing up between this and a Yamaha 115b.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:15pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have done 150 hours with mine, it's brilliant. I get 0.9-1.0nm/litre with it when cruising between 20 and 25 knots. Pushes my Extreme 605 Gameking along at 34knots WOT.

It runs the 14 5/8" diamter prop which gives way better grip in the water compared to the 13 1/4" prop the Yamaha runs.

You also get better holeshot from 2066ccs of the Merc, versus the 1800 odd cc of the yamaha.

The Merc is also lighter at 160kg dry weight.

My only frustration with the Merc is that it comes with the vessel view display. Which now I have it sussed is great, but the instructions for driving it are very crap, and not too many people know much about them either. Now I have figured it out, I'm loving the whole package.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:39pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great thanks, sounds good. What pitch prop are you running?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

16” pitch Enertia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:56am
Platinum
Platinum

As something of a Post Script, make sure you compare a "standard" CT Merc Four Stroke, against the Pro XS. I didn't do that and was left wondering whether there is any difference in mid range performance. Because from a specs perspective, all you get with the Pro XS is some fancy paintwork and an extra 300 revs at top end. Which is neither here nor there for a fishing boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:18pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marineworx can help with the vessel links. My 60hp works well with my simrad.

I ditched all my engine gauges and simply use the Simrad for all the engine info. 

My 60hp up to about 1000 hrs now. 115hp in my next boat i hope.
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:52pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the input guys, Merc it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:20pm
Joker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with Bob.
Just done 500 faultless hours in 3 years on a 90hp CT (same engine block) on a FC560 c/c.

Its got heaps of low end torque, quiet and I get 1.1 - 1.3 litres per mile at cruise.

Would definitely buy again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:20pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As above, I would also highly recommend the Merc CT’s. We’ve just put 160 hrs on our 115 and love the motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, anyone have 1st hand experience with these motors? Tossing up between this and a Yamaha 115b.

The essential core thing before anything else is considered for a plaining hull boat.. in this order.
 1/knowing the normal total gross weight of the boat.
2/ the primary end use of that boat.. eg race, cruise, trolling, ski, towing etc
3/ The type of lake/ river/ bars/ seas.. inshore or outer gulf going to be used for.
4/ The expectations as to cruise speeds.. this is usually established by 2/ and 3/

5/Then choose (calculate) the hp required to handle these conditions with at least 10 to 15 % reserve power at those rpms.

6/Then choose your hp of preference (ie brand/ model) applicable to the power requirement to meet these expectations.
 7 & 8/ mount the engine at correct height.. usually nailed after 1st sea trial with a prop that is calculated to be in the correct ball park.
9/ Sea trail to confirm correct height and the calculate the required prop from data off the ball park prop.. which often turns out to be pretty good.

you cant 'fix' a min or under powered engine with a prop change to meet expectations without over propping , but will still fall off the plain in chop.
A min powered or above will not require a permatrim.. a higher rake prop is what levers the bow down.

So get that power right..
 The more reserve power you have the better the chop and economy becomes.. less throttle less load , less rpms.

Top speed, is irrelevant as much as top speed of the wife shopping basket car, a tractor, aeroplane, truck or bulldozer.. it is an unfortunate result of having enough power to get up hills at  cruise speed..