Mercury outboard service costs

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Smart choice MB Clap

Thanks mate, that's reassuring. Mrs thinks I'm mental trailering the boat all the way down to Auckland. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 5:33pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is there only 1 Merc service agent in Whangarei?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 6:42pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Dyno testing an outboard?
Never heard of that being done..interested in how they do it?
I believe they put a load bearing prop on and go from there?
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 8:38pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Is there only 1 Merc service agent in Whangarei?

One authorised service centre as far as I know. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 8:55pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mikes marine in Silverdale does a good job at a fair price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 9:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Dyno testing an outboard?
Never heard of that being done..interested in how they do it?
I believe they put a load bearing prop on and go from there?
several types of outbourd dynos around, most are hydraulic. Needed to check the ECU mapping and make any adjustments.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 9:40pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quite Brutal when they do a sports motorcycle. Not a lot of sympathy shown in the pursuit of horsepower.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 10:49pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Mikes marine in Silverdale does a good job at a fair price.

Cheers. It's going back to FC Boats where it was purchased. Seems like a safe bet plus I have a small issue that needs addressing under warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 3:46pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm unsure of service,motor was a biatch to start after service,started easier before it went in.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 5:38pm
Gappy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There is a Mercury dealer and service Agent in Kerikeri now Twin Coast Marine.

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Reading with interest. My new Mercury outboard is up for service. I'm taking it down to Auckland from Whangarei because I don't trust the local authorised service provider. In fact, I wouldn't trust them to service a kayak. Everyone I know has had some issue or other with them not getting it right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 5:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hmm unsure of service,motor was a biatch to start after service,started easier before it went in.

What are the symptoms Paul? I'd call them for a please explain. That5's a lot of money to spend to make your motor harder to start.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 6:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

What are the symptoms Paul? I'd call them for a please explain. That5's a lot of money to spend to make your motor harder to start.
Could be me,but it seems to flood? prime bulb till hard,turn key and push 3 times then around to start and it coughs.Before doing this it would start and then lift fast idler till warm.

Will try again during the week,once warm can stop/start stop.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 7:37pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Could be me,but it seems to flood? prime bulb till hard,turn key and push 3 times then around to start and it coughs.Before doing this it would start and then lift fast idler till warm.

Will try again during the week,once warm can stop/start stop.
don’t prime whose 2S Mercs to much, just pump the bulb until it’s firm not rock hard. They flood easy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 7:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Don't push the key three times Paul, once is enough. As per what Kandrew says they flood easily. Push it once and count to three.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 8:51pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Gappy Gappy wrote:

Reading with interest. My new Mercury outboard is up for service. I'm taking it down to Auckland from Whangarei because I don't trust the local authorised service provider. In fact, I wouldn't trust them to service a kayak. Everyone I know has had some issue or other with them not getting it right.

this is the yard that has Stabis starting to appear in it as you come into Waaipapa?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No no no!.... you guys have it all wrong. 
Push key- once.
let it cough just once
Look east
smidge of choke..... Depends on hours since last start.
Lift one foot
Let it fire up
Gentle fast idle
turn hard lock right.
its so easy.
works every time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 9:21pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's good to know, thanks Beer

I'll give them a try next time. They need to get their name added to the Mercury website if they want to drum up some more business. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 9:25pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From my experience on those motors
When you push the key in/operate the choke, it energises a solenoid that allows raw fuel to be squirted directly in to the crank cases...only push it once you have started cranking the engine, let it off the moment it fires. .a quick stab if the engine sounds like it's going to stall..
Well that was my method when I had one.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 3:32am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks all will try it again tonight. Just started so easy when first brought though. 
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 7:25am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's good to know, thanks Beer

I'll give them a try next time. They need to get their name added to the Mercury website if they want to drum up some more business. 
You need to make sure they are an proper registered service agent, they need to be able to access the Mercury website to record the details of your service so your warranty continues.

Lots of marine techs can service a motor to get your warranty they need to be registered service agents.
Page  <1234>