Measure of a mans success

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measure of a mans success
    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I find it very interesting as to how people measure their success.
I have never caught a 20lb'r,although I must admit I have been trying, never caught a huge kingie, in fact the only one I've ever landed was just legal lol.
I have taken up softbaiting in the last couple of years with VERY VERY limited catches haha. I actually come home with very little fish from this method. Could be due to the fact I normally have bait on board and give up pretty quickly.LOL I have been to see the master giving a seminar on the subject. That master being no other than Mark Kitteridge, and still can't master this form of fishing. Yesterday my wife and I drove for three hours into foreign waters armed with only the softbait gear....NO BAIT. Stopped in at hunting and fishing botony on the way to top up. Can't speak highly enough of the young fella in there Zac. Anyway, as I walked out of the shop after spending way more than I wanted to explain to the wife we headed for unfamiliar grounds in our little stabi. We spent the day casting sotbaits around and kept 5 fish for our efforts. My wifes first attempt at it and she caught 2 keepersClap. The fish were not huge, 2 at 40 and 2 at 35 and 1 at 33. Now I am the first to admit I am far from confident in this method of fishing, however, after coming home with a feed caught in new waters, having a wonderful day with my lovely wife, I would class the day an absolute SUCCESS!!!TongueBeerHandshake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:53pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Obviously you have mastered it. Any new fishing method takes time to get the feel of it, probably faster  with no back up of bait.Well done.
Its always a good feeling of achievement to have broken through.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:53pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice report & Ivan & good on you for sticking with it.
Leaving the baitat home was the best moveBig smile

I reckon catching a fish on a softbait is way more fun that hauling them up on bait..Straylining is pretty ok but sb is still better.

Now that you have the hang of it & also that your Mrs has caught fish that way, reckon she will much prefer not having to deal with  bait~~but time will tell Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice to sse a very honest report in many ways...
 Very much describes us..
 Espec the opening..

I find it very interesting as to how people measure their success.
I have never caught a 20lb'r,although I must admit I have been trying, never caught a huge kingie, in fact the only one I've ever landed was just legal lol.

I have hit the 19.4 and 17.4 lbs, and yet to get my 1m + king after many yrs.
 On the other hand we go out for the good company, and day on the water..general get a feed,  and little targeting.
 Primarily baits, and a SB as secondary.
Successful?
 Well in that in the last 2 yrs was over 50 trips, and last 7yrs been around that level, and never failed to bring home at least a good feed  for 3 families...
 Fillet up a 30.. or even a 28cm with a little care and skill gives a good sized fillet on the plate. Rule of thumb. If you get 1/3 of the total weight of the fish in clean fillet you are doing well.

Be it SB or bait..east coast is on the drift, straylines, West coast over the bar is ledger, and drift or anchor which ever works on the day.

As to the missus hitting with SB... We have noticed over the yrs such comments have been very common.

I would class the day an absolute SUCCESS!!!

Totally

Well done...nice report
Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Ivan, your persistence is, and will pay off.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would class success as having a great day on the water and you have achieved that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 4:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The key to soft baiting is let it sink and watch that line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:28pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool report IvanWink liked! Next trip to Mokau bring the SB rods, be keen on giving it a go with you! Going out with no bait and me Strayline rods would be the hard part thoughLOL BeerG.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can see how you measure success.
1-You got out on the water
2-You did it with the missus
3-You got something new
4-You tried something new
5-You tried somewhere new
6-You commited yourselves
& pulled it off.

Now that 20lber and solid king......Exactly the same story