McLay 6-5 Hard Top *Lethal*

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McLay 6-5 Hard Top *Lethal*
    Posted: 03 May 2003 at 4:59pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

well here's the first boat which is mine, i would be happy to come take photos of your boat and give you a hand to place them in here if you would like....... Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2003 at 6:50pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and a fine fish catching machine it is too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 7:01am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

must admit that I love the McLays
The Auckland dealer is just up the road and services my Ramco so I drive past it every day. Glen Eden Marine has alway treated me real well and I often look in there for an update. Normally just before my wife shows me some more kitchens she likes. Cant blame her mind you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 10:20pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Theres a nice brand new 650ht up there with your name on it Barrie. Swing past my place Sat mornings when you own her Baz and we will put pay to the ocean. I to drool over some of those mean machines every day as i drive past, oh well keep buyin lotto's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2003 at 11:05pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Here's a few Photos but they are stills captured from a Video Camera here it is all rigged out.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 5:28am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peter
you been whareing her out by looking as well have you?
I will be driving past her in about 2 hours from now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 8:52am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lethal,

Great boat. See you have trim tabs. We have tabs on our boat, but haven't really got them sorted out yet.

Couple of questions:

1. How do you know their postions up/down

2. Do they improve performance/economy

3. What make are they

4. When do you use them

Cheers.

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 1:21pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lethal is a great boat....but you knew that, Eric...she is a reel pleasure to fish from!.....

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 4:02pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice rig Lethal.

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 10:36pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Hi Naki,

the Trimtabs are the next best things to sliced bread when you work out how to use them properly,

first i made them work so it was easier to understand with out think what was going on at the back of the boat,  the right hand knob when pushed forward made the right hand side go down back made it come back up and the same for the left so now if you want bow up you pulled both back together and forward for bow down,

this made trying to think now if push this down the trim tap this side would go down and the left side would dig in it become too hard and when approching a on coming wake of a boat you need to bring the bow down in a hurry and you did not have to think anymore it become second nature like drive a car sort of.... 

how good are they well the truth be know you cant do without them when running a hard top as the wind blows you over you pull the wheel the other way to adjust and the boat leans into the wind by having TrimTabs you can adjust for this and keep the boat running straight which intern makes the boat run on its keel which makes for a more comfortable ride,

now every time you dig a trim tab down into the water the more gas you are going to use dew to more drag being created by the trim tab,you can adjust for this by tilting the motor up a wee bit, but if its rough and now they really come into play, by tilting the T/Ts down you can stop the boat from bouncing around some what but you should slow down as well because now you are putting a lot of pressure on the hull,

every boat is different like with mine im carrying over 75lts of saltwater on the way home because of my livebait tank and its to one side of the boat so i have to keep a T/T down to compersate for the extra weight on that side, its great to get home and they are still very much alive and at anytime i can let some go if i please......

Hope this helps in some small way......

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 10:43pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Thanks A C , Bushie, Barrie,Naki,Kerren........ got  a few tips tonight on where the Gurnard are hanging out, should be interesting....... 

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 11:34pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Naki,

As you may have seen from other posts I am also an enornous fan of trim tabs. As Lethal has pointed out you have to work out which way they are wired in - mine were initially 'back to front' for instinctive use, but thats easy to fix. You can get trimtab meters, but they are not cheap and after a while you 'feel' where they are. If in doubt put them all the way up and start again. In answer to when do you use them ? - all the time. You find yourself adjusting them and throttle and tilt all the time. There was a very good thread on the Pakula board about a year back on the different way motor tilt and trimtabs change boat trim - they both affect bow up and bow down but do it in a different way. I found it most helpful in understanding what I was doing. I'll see if I can find it and post the link tomorrow - way past my bedtime!

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 5:59am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Naki
I have been out with Lethal and came home from the Barrier in weather that was not nice...with the trim tabs...she rode like there was little or no chop at all... most impressed...thinks its a must when I get a bigger hardtop boat. Will put them on before I stock the bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 7:57am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the feed back guys. So, am I correct in assuming that when the tabs are down, the tilt on the motor can be lifted further than would normally be tilted without tabs and in doing this, speed should increase for the same revs, thus reducing fuel comsumption?

For hole shot, should they be down along with the motor?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 8:20am
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Naki,

Found that link I was looking for. Try:

http://www.pakula.com/marlin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392&highlight=bow+down

Its titled 'Outriggers for small boats' but don't worry about that - it gets into what you want after about 10 posts. There is lots of it (55 posts) but keep going, its worth it.

obald

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 9:25am
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi fellas, I also have 'tabs on my tub, and use 'em all the time. From full up, I counted a "slow 6 seconds" till they were right down. Helps a little. Usually if you are unsure if one or other is down is also thru your wake shape, or 'lean' of the boat, but as previously mentioned, it becomes second nature.
When setting up my boat at a lake, I found the optimum trim for the motor as far as speed, economy and ride went. I now always trim the motor to this point and then use the tabs when necessary. Into a head sea stick 'em down and the ride is great- the bow "works". Folowing sea, tabs up (or maybe one used for balance) and the hull does what it was designed for. Having had, and been, in boats that have not had 'em, I would not be without them . Cheers Guys.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 12:12pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Obald this has to be the best bit of info i have ever read about trim tabs........ just a couple bits of technical info to throw
in your hat.

TRIM:- Controls the angle of thrust

TABS:- Alter the shape of your hull

They both can seem to achieve the same thing by
completely different means.

When you have the ultimate angle of thrust apply
the tabs.

With your props make sure you try before you buy ,
and turn around and look at the engine whilst trimming
and watch the prop wake change.

thanks for the link Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 12:22pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

obald, mine are Hydraulic driven and eclectically controlled and i have had them overload which pops a button i have also broken one of the arms but i think that was a fault in the plastic which was replaced free of charge, so a lot of strain is put on them when they are fully extended which to me means they are working hard...... what type are yours????????

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 12:45pm
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

obald:

Thanks for link, very interesting and imformative.

Was interested in the discussion on props etc. My 115 Yammie it is running a 19" prop with a top speed of about 25 knots. (possibly over proped). If I tried a 17" this should increase my top end, but decrease pickup, is this correct? What effect will this have on engine revs?

Martini Max:

Good idea about timing the tabs from nothing to full.

The make of my tabs are Can. They are hydaulic, but are controlled by electronic touch pads.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 10:17pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Lethal,

Glad you liked the link, haven't re read the whole lot but remember the discussion gave  me a real insight, getting your nut around the different way the motor tilt and tabs work to seemingly do the same thing was a real breakthrough for me. I haven't been out to check the boat , but I'm pretty sure my tabs are Bennett - electric controls with a hydraulic pump as usual. The forces these things have to withstand are phenomenal - I actually bent one of the SS plates on my last boat.

Naki, I'm afraid the amount I know about prop selection you could write on the back of a postage stamp with a builders pencil. I've read a bit but don't really understand more than very basic stuff. Perhaps someone can tell me when you would chose to increase pitch as opposed to diameter (or vice versa) if you think you need a 'bigger' prop. In fact I'll put it up as another thread - this one is getting a bit unwieldy.

obald

Page  12>