Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 267268269270271 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:35am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just been talking to the young lady at burnsco. She fished last Saturday between Matakawau and Awawhitupark,in 3 to 4 m with strong tide and said she couldnt miss,bit of red weed but nothing to major.

Had same issues out east,where we did ok Saturday ,guy up the rd fished same place for nil.

Livebaits are getting hard catch out east "smudge" had a nice trev on the sakabi  and fold down warehouse rod. bit of an effort to get in but good fun.Became snapper bait.Hindsight should of smoked it.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Just been talking to the young lady at burnsco. She fished last Saturday between Matakawau and Awawhitupark,in 3 to 4 m with strong tide and said she couldnt miss,bit of red weed but nothing to major.

Had same issues out east,where we did ok Saturday ,guy up the rd fished same place for nil.

Livebaits are getting hard catch out east "smudge" had a nice trev on the sakabi  and fold down warehouse rod. bit of an effort to get in but good fun.Became snapper bait.Hindsight should of smoked it.

Hehe that would be Kat, she and her partner Chad know their stuff. Two scenarios are very succesful in the Big muddy at this time of the year through to April:

The transition of the channels where they start to rise up and the transition where they start to level off, typically 2 to 5 metres where 1/2 ounce sinkers rule. Strayline rigs with the lightest of sinkers pay off very well in scenario two. In scenario one strayline rigs with heavier sinkers, two to four ounce, pay off very well.

A regular big snapper spot (Skoti's spot) fishes well using straylines on slack water. So do a pile of other rigs Big smile but yeah, it's hard for people to get their heads around fishing light weights in the Manukau. Light gear really helps. For instance, last night I was fishing 10lb braid (a bit heavy, using an 8/0 hook on a single hook dropper and a 5/0 hook on a 10kilo mono mainline - no trace - just a 1/2oz sinker, a soft bead and a 5/0 hook. Both rigs got decent fish. Nothing huge but I'll take a 45cm snap all day long.

Bait was kahawai, I didn't try a jig, we had a pretty tight schedule.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 5:01pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Hehe that would be Kat, she and her partner Chad know their stuff. Two scenarios are very succesful in the Big muddy at this time of the year through to April:

The transition of the channels where they start to rise up and the transition where they start to level off, typically 2 to 5 metres where 1/2 ounce sinkers rule. Strayline rigs with the lightest of sinkers pay off very well in scenario two. In scenario one strayline rigs with heavier sinkers, two to four ounce, pay off very well.

A regular big snapper spot (Skoti's spot) fishes well using straylines on slack water. So do a pile of other rigs Big smile but yeah, it's hard for people to get their heads around fishing light weights in the Manukau. Light gear really helps. For instance, last night I was fishing 10lb braid (a bit heavy, using an 8/0 hook on a single hook dropper and a 5/0 hook on a 10kilo mono mainline - no trace - just a 1/2oz sinker, a soft bead and a 5/0 hook. Both rigs got decent fish. Nothing huge but I'll take a 45cm snap all day long.

Bait was kahawai, I didn't try a jig, we had a pretty tight schedule.

Thanks "smudge" good advice there that I need to take onboard,get away from 10oz so line is straight up and down,just enough to get down and fish will find bait,Must try the shallows rather than bashing out main channel. Have now convinced nephew under 45 have more taste. Surprised myself last weekend,home latish left fish on ice overnight,easier to fillet.yrs on still learning.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 6:41pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great advice as always smudge šŸ‘.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:32pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A regular big snapper spot (Skoti's spot) fishes well using straylines on slack water. So do a pile of other rigsĀ Big smileĀ but yeah, it's hard for people to get their heads around fishing light weights in the Manukau. Light gear really helps. For instance, last night I was fishing 10lb braid (a bit heavy, using an 8/0 hook on a single hook dropper and a 5/0 hook on a 10kilo mono mainline - no trace - just a 1/2oz sinker, a soft bead and a 5/0 hook. Both rigs got decent fish. Nothing huge but I'll take a 45cm snap all day long

Curious, at slack water, are you guys fishing tide lines in the main channel straylined, have only done that at dead low tide when zero current is around, but seems to be just that little bit in the tide line.... the odd nice fish too

Im fishing 2 overhead setup for baits, 4 & 8kg mono, when the current slows down, going from droppers of 1oz to 1/4oz strayline baits, my 4kg mono setup gets most of my fish
Now looking at doing 2kg mono a little bit more. Right up on the banks well away from the main channel, its realistic using ultra light gear in some places
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:09pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smudge, didnā€™t deploy any jigs although did have them and my jigging setup on board. There was too much tide, wind and swell to contend with in my 12ft Dinghy at Cake Island.

With regards to other posts on straylining and methods this time of year, i generally stick to the shallows on light gear as Smudge does. However if targeting bigger models then I can be found at or nearby Skotis spot well into winter.

My gear typically ranges from 10kg to 15kg mono but thatā€™s because it was used for over the bar and the deeper channels where larger sinkers are necessary. I usually have no issues using said mono in the shallows but lighter gear would be better, I just canā€™t be bothered changing my spools. I could buy another couple of combos but with 13 setups already I probably shouldnā€™t šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Smudge - likewise with the live bait. We could only manage tiny snapper. Every time I target live bait in the harbour I canā€™t find them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

A regular big snapper spot (Skoti's spot) fishes well using straylines on slack water. So do a pile of other rigs Big smile but yeah, it's hard for people to get their heads around fishing light weights in the Manukau. Light gear really helps. For instance, last night I was fishing 10lb braid (a bit heavy, using an 8/0 hook on a single hook dropper and a 5/0 hook on a 10kilo mono mainline - no trace - just a 1/2oz sinker, a soft bead and a 5/0 hook. Both rigs got decent fish. Nothing huge but I'll take a 45cm snap all day long

Curious, at slack water, are you guys fishing tide lines in the main channel straylined, have only done that at dead low tide when zero current is around, but seems to be just that little bit in the tide line.... the odd nice fish too

Im fishing 2 overhead setup for baits, 4 & 8kg mono, when the current slows down, going from droppers of 1oz to 1/4oz strayline baits, my 4kg mono setup gets most of my fish
Now looking at doing 2kg mono a little bit more. Right up on the banks well away from the main channel, its realistic using ultra light gear in some places

Rudy, I use lightest sinkers I can but there becomes a point in time where you need heavy sinkers. Either side of slack water works best of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Smudge, didnā€™t deploy any jigs although did have them and my jigging setup on board. There was too much tide, wind and swell to contend with in my 12ft Dinghy at Cake Island.

With regards to other posts on straylining and methods this time of year, i generally stick to the shallows on light gear as Smudge does. However if targeting bigger models then I can be found at or nearby Skotis spot well into winter.

My gear typically ranges from 10kg to 15kg mono but thatā€™s because it was used for over the bar and the deeper channels where larger sinkers are necessary. I usually have no issues using said mono in the shallows but lighter gear would be better, I just canā€™t be bothered changing my spools. I could buy another couple of combos but with 13 setups already I probably shouldnā€™t šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Smudge - likewise with the live bait. We could only manage tiny snapper. Every time I target live bait in the harbour I canā€™t find them.

Cake island sucks for kings IMO. Better off landbased. The other side is better I think. I may be wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:18pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bit of a late report here - but we also got out on Sunday to fish the last of the incoming and over the high. Mainly stayed around Spot X in the Papakura channel. ~7-8m or so. Also noticed most boats were moving all over the place.

We could not catch a snapper to save ourselves - which is really weird. No small ones, nothing. 
PLENTY of kahawai around, splashing and breaking the surface. 

Ended the day keeping 4 decent Kahawai, 1 good sized trevally, 1 (the only) snapper of ~40cm, and a bloody good sized Gurnard. 
1 kingfish caught - ~50cm or so. Also flicked a stickbait all over the place, but no luck. Had a live bait (kahawai) out, no takers. 

Very weird few hours of fishing, but an impressive (and delicious) mixed bag of species! 
Straylined pillies and squid, with a few softbaits flicked around. Stunner of a day before the wind/tide kicked in.

Very keen to try and pull another decent kingie out of the harbour, but it's always hard to change what we know works!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Keep working on the kings SeaHunter. I am certainly not an expert on catching them in the harbour butplenty of them up to 15kg in there. The good guys get them much bigger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 11:30pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A good friend of mine fished last Sunday. He too said snapper fishing was lousy but they did well to land four kings from jigs in the Papakura channel
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:48am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see this thread has done the bunching up thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 2:21pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can anyone see the Manukau and save me a 5 minute drive,? Wondering if there will be enough clean water there tomorrow to have a fish. I took the days in between long weekends off hoping to get some fishing donešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Can anyone see the Manukau and save me a 5 minute drive,? Wondering if there will be enough clean water there tomorrow to have a fish. I took the days in between long weekends off hoping to get some fishing donešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Sorry Tonto, I have view of the harbour but I only just saw this post and its getting dark. My guess is the incoming tide would be the best option, the harbour will certainly be discoloured but there is a good chance that snapper will be feeding up. I'd go for the channel edges just as they start to rise up. If you fish in the dirty shallow water you are sure to catch plenty of rays and sharks Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Smudge, unlike Steve Irwin I try to stay away from harmful rays šŸ˜Š. Looks like it might p down tomorrow šŸ¤”
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 2:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Blockhouse bay this morning, was pretty quiet out there with a lot of nothing happening for the first 2.5hrs for 1 tiny undersize snap, honestly thought I was going home with an empty bin
930ish the fish started feeding, best snap went 42
Fresh Kahawai was best baits followed by squid & I finally caught my first Gurnard on the muddy = 39cm
Good day out in the end

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 8:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Bananas, I was doing work around the house today. Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:11pm
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Headed out at 12pm ish today from Mangere Bridge.

Thoughts are with those affected by the recent floods as there were a number of big slips and homes impacted along the coast.

Fishing was dead to start with so after an hour we moved and had some more success getting 10 all up so not a bad feed and a good arfo out.

The lawns were even mowed when I got home, should leave them and go fishing more often maybe šŸ˜…

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 11:03pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good to see some getting out and making the most of the very few weather windows we have been having lately. The weirdest summer season I can remember. And here we are on the brink of another storm, labelled storm of this century already !?

I havenā€™t been able to get out much. I put it down to two things;

1) work, weather windows, a little laziness.

2) my boat. Itā€™s a small dinghy. I honestly thought since downsizing from a 5.6 alloy boat capable of fishing offshore, that id fish more being small and economical. In reality I found myself missing the missions I used to do and also not being able to get out unless it was near perfect calm anyway, and with less crew to make a day of it.

So I went and bought another boat today. A nice 2016 model Mac 420. Pretty basic set up but I have many plans to make it a real fishing weapon in the near future. For now though itā€™ll be put through itā€™s paces on the harbour as soon as a weather window opens up. Then Iā€™ll venture over the bar once I get a new chart plotter and vhf installed.

Canā€™t bloody wait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 6:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Me & my bro did blockhouse bay yesterday, only got an hour in before the wind made it sort of borderline unsafe
Came back in, tidied up & had a couple beers watching the water... it dropped off an hr before sunset
2 x skunks, never happened for both of us on the same day... that's fishing eh
Page  <1 267268269270271 288>