Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 262263264265266 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s a great fish seahunter. Stonker, well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:02am
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Kahawai heads in 30 - 35 cm range are great decent snapper baits.. only problem in manukau would be current to let it rest on bottom and if you get to do that then rays and sharks picking them up.

Mean I'll give it a try. Don't want a stingray but would be keen to catch a shark just once in my life.

Not sure how to safely remove the hook though, saw a guy recently lose his pinky finger trying to unhook a shark. I've got some "slash proof" filiting gloves maybe they'll be enough. Will chuck them in my bag next time just in case LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 11:33am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That’s an awesome snapper fish hunter. We were tempted to head over to the Papakura channel on Friday but missed the best tide and it was nearly dusk after fluffing around trying spots closer to home in search of carrots.

The thing I love most about our harbour is its tendency to humble you every now and then. Keeps things interesting and more rewarding when you get good results.

I’ve found over 25 plus years of fishing the Manuaku that the good spots come and go. It’s forever changing. One of my favourite spots delivered 11 big gurnard in 30 mins and I’ve revisited the same spot countless times yet never had it as good, ever. But because of that one memory it’s nostalgic to me and I still try it!

Mejobloggs - you can get those long nose hook removal tools for sharks. I don’t use them but I probably should have many times 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 1:02pm
Bronze
Bronze

Here's the guy gets his finger removed by a shark Shocked

Bit of gore/injury warning i guess. Not too bad, but just thought I'd add the warning if there's any squeemish or kids browsing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0Sdj3TEKM

Definitely will be bringing something to aid hook removal lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 3:56pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We launched from Cornwallis this morning about 7.30 to catch the first of the outgoing tide. A bit lumpy so stopped off at Big Bay for a bit and picked up 1 x big one eyed carrot. Carried on to Ropers and got another 8 between about 10am to 11.30. Got enough so went home.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 4:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a nice catch DIY
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:08pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Far out, nice catch mate... liked

Have never caught a Gurnard on the muddy
May I ask.... what depth did you fish & what baits caught them... berley ?
Is there a preference for the outgoing tide
I'm in a kayak, so pretty restricted to where I can go to
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:32pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I caught these in about 5m and will generally fish between 2 - 8m. I use flasher rigs or this strayline rig using small cubes of salted bonito from my local dairy. I don’t use berley. From fishing on the east coast with kaburas and micro jigs I’ve had to learn to stay in one spot as I would usually move all over the place. I haven’t really worked out which tides are best and have caught them at all stages of the tide. One thing I have learnt from Gurnard on the muddy is the get used to failure!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for sharing that   

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

One thing I have learnt from Gurnard on the muddy is the get used to failure!!

Yeah, I know all about that over these colder months
Its a brilliant fishery over the warmer months & 8mins form home to access it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:50pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It is definitely a great fishery. I only really fish it in the winter for carrots and the rest of the year we fish in the gulf out from gulf harbour to anchorite etc or up round the coromandel. We catch a lot of good snaps and recently got into kingfish jigging but I still find it hard to beat a still flat calm day on the manukau in the winter when the carrots are on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 1:13am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Generally I will stay in one location and fish the "waves" of Gurnard that tend to show up. Although of course the lure of "that sport over there might be better" does tempt me from time to time Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 2:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

6 hours at Huia on the rocks out past the boat ramp

Not a single bite haha

Where is the manager, I wish to complain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 3:15pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

6 hours at Huia on the rocks out past the boat ramp

Not a single bite haha

Where is the manager, I wish to complain

I'd like to say that I've never had a day like that on the Manukau, but unfortunately I've had quite a few of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

My 4th trip to Manukau without a bite.

Possibly I'm using too big bait/hooks? Seen other guys catching smaller fish but I'm sick of smaller fish and looking for something decent. Biggest snapper in my life is 36cm which is pretty puny haha

Today for bait I had a Kahawai head (from 30cm Kahawai). I cut it in half vertically to expose all the insides, and put a size 6|0 circle hook through the eye.

Also tried a chunk of paraori flesh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK, now isn't really a good time to target big snapper in close on big baits in the Manukau. Keep your baits small, see if you can snag a trevally or a gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:35pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Plenty of kahawai feeding on the surface today around the harbour, not much else but a beautiful day out there and a decent haul for the smoker. Quite small kahawai all around 35cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 7:37pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A quiet day for us on the Muddy today. Fished the incoming off Grahams Beach for very little. A couple of small snapper, a horse of a kahawai and this guy

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 7:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm waiting for mid September to hit the coast, bugger the harbour for this time of year Flaw Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out for a morning fish today after an extended lay off. Nice morning, southerly and poor fishing for us. Plenty of small kahawai and not much else.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 7:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Was out off blockhouse bay today, stink fishing, just the 1 kahawai for the bin
Saw heaps of sign in 2-3m, stacks of it, got zero bites from it all.... lots of activity on the surface
Interestingly, last time out, the water was 14.6, today was 15.3 & 15.6 right on high tide
Page  <1 262263264265266 288>