Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 247248249250251 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:28pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think I must smell like lost hopes and dreams Unhappy
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:32pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One of the things I most love about our harbour and fishing in general is that one day it can make you feel like a champ and the next a total chump!

We too had high hopes for some Kingie action yesterday. Even went to the trouble of gathering some spectacular sized Jack Mack's that were glued to the bottom in 20m from the Papakura. Took them down to Little Huia for a tow for an hour or two on the incoming tide but no takers. Luckily we were able to feed them to a school of large Kahawai that were working the head of Te Tau Bank on the way home.

The snapper fishing was pretty good in the inner harbour too but had troubles getting away from the little guys.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge, I have put my new flounder net in 3 times this summer for 0 flounder. Twice up the rapids and once by the Waiau pa ramp, zilch.
Also been for a night time spear but not even seen a baby flounder.

We went for a wander with the dingy and spears from Tetoro ramp way back up towards waiuku, few weeks back.. conditions perfect.. Zilch.. even surprised at the lack of anything
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 2:53pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On the topic of taking water from the Waikato river... Currently at Mercer there is 330 cubic meters per second flowing down the Waikato.
Aucklands new take at 300 million litres per day, is 3.5 cubic meters per second (Twice as much as before).

That new take is 1.1% of the total flow. Whilst it must have some impact, I think it would be negligible.

For reference the mean discharge is 340 cumecs, so the flow is a little bit below average right now.
-----

Back to fishing in the Manukau, we got out on Sunday morning and also had no luck on the kingies despite having a livie and the occasional flick of a stickbait. We did manage to land a couple of primo fat harbour snapper at 45 and 48cm though. Kept 4 snaps - but the bite was red hot from the first drop. Plenty of smaller fish around. 

Huge schools of small anchovies? (5-10cm long) all over the harbour. Lots of birds hitting them, but disappointingly not a lot of other fish around them.

Was a stunning morning out. Harbour is pretty special on a day like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by seahunter seahunter wrote:

we got out on Sunday morning and also had no luck on the kingies despite having a livie and the occasional flick of a stickbait. We did manage to land a couple of primo fat harbour snapper at 45 and 48cm though. Kept 4 snaps - but the bite was red hot from the first drop. Plenty of smaller fish around. 

Huge schools of small anchovies? (5-10cm long) all over the harbour. Lots of birds hitting them, but disappointingly not a lot of other fish around them.

Was a stunning morning out. Harbour is pretty special on a day like that.

Anchovies turn up in the harbour in huge numbers in summer through to autumn.  Usually that brings in the kahawai.  Often the big kahawai are in the Huia Banks area and the smaller fish are further up the harbour. Terns are the give away. Last time we were out (four weeks ago now Confused) the terns were feeding on whitebait and the kahawai were prolific but small. 

The work ups on The Big Muddy don't appear to attract snapper like the pilchard work ups do in the Gulf. I think that is because the poor old anchovies and whitebait just get swallowed whole by ravenous kahawai leaving no burley trail as happens when pillies get chomped in half. Anyone else got any theories on that?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:47pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

New Species for me spotted on Sunday, inside the harbour:  I was stick-baiting near Cake island and a turtle popped up not 2 metres away from the boat.  I’m not sure who was more surprised - me or him for he didn’t hang around long.  Took one breath and bolted back below!  Very cool to see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

New Species for me spotted on Sunday, inside the harbour:  I was stick-baiting near Cake island and a turtle popped up not 2 metres away from the boat.  I’m not sure who was more surprised - me or him for he didn’t hang around long.  Took one breath and bolted back below!  Very cool to see.

Wow! I've heard of green turtles in the harbour but haven't seen one myself. Very, very cool!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:41pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Found a hawks bill in a very sorry state a few years ago washed up near Big Bay.Took it up to Kelly Tarltons & they looked after it for a few months & released it at the Poor Knights.Usual story,had eaten a lot of plastic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fenien Fenien wrote:

Found a hawks bill in a very sorry state a few years ago washed up near Big Bay.Took it up to Kelly Tarltons & they looked after it for a few months & released it at the Poor Knights.Usual story,had eaten a lot of plastic.

Full marks to you Fenien , good on you for saving that bird. We are wrecking this planet and particularly the ocean and it inhabitants.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I remember that now Fenien. My mates kids found a yello bellied sea snake at Karioitahi once. Man did it wake up when we put it in a warm bath!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:15pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think there are a number of factors at play as to why the Manukau workups tend not to have hungry snapper in tow.

Strong current would also play a big part too as any left overs get quickly spread far and wide and often the schools are so fast moving that they can be hard to stay on top of.

The Kahawai we were catching on Sunday beneath the terns were spewing up half digested anchovies everywhere and some were into the 2kg size bracket which was great to see
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 2:20am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anchovy fed kahawai, in smaller sizes cut in half. Sounds like best snapper bait ever east side. Or put the shredded fillets on a medeteranian pizza.
FlawOne, probably right takes a while for snapper to get under a work up. Current is too fast there even though there is bait being worked. 
Having said that… used to be big workups down harbour entrance off wattle bay when I was younger. 

Was a slaughter on trevally and big kahawai this time of year at harbour entrance off Wattle bay when the first big grim reaper jigs came out in late 80s early 90s. About the time when penn gls’s (never owned one, was surfcasting with a Mitchell 489 down Hamiltons Gap and under  Lighthouse back then) were state of the art for jigging a 150 - 200 gram lure at harbour entrance. And man did the guys who did that bring in some fish. Not many snaps though. 

The big snappers I saw from harbour always came from the  Papakura channel and over towards the airport in Feb to end of March. Then closer to Graham’s in April and May. Would been shot for saying this previously, but all old fellas who taught me are dead.
Don’t suppose I’ll see fishing like that again with such characters but my memories are pretty good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:07am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Impressive stuff ShaneG. Yeah I have seen anchovies inside the snaps but even in still water I've had no luck fishing the bottom for snapper. Probably too many kahawai hehe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 12:47am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Impressive stuff ShaneG. Yeah I have seen anchovies inside the snaps but even in still water I've had no luck fishing the bottom for snapper. Probably too many kahawai hehe.
Those we’re great days. Remember thinking I’d beaten the old fellas one day with snapper of around 7lb caught surfcasting at Hamilton’s gap, only to find on my return to Graham’s Beach (where we stayed) old Jack Hudson had a 19 lber and 14 lber out of the papakura channel from his  little glass boat which he used to drive  sitting on back seat on his knees with his wife sitting opposite on port seat. Was a early 14 ft yellow top side with a white hull figlass from memory. With about a 40 hp evinrude on the back
40hp was serious horse power  back then and  hardly no one had fish finders, were just coming in for trailer boats. Those old boys didn’t need them knew the tides (how they launched and retrieved) and had plenty of transit  marks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:57am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice evening for a fish, I took my 8 year old grand daughter out. 3 m on the edge of ropers. It was all on as soon as we anchored, we kept 10, 6 over 45cm biggest 52cm. She had a ball. Unfortunately she tripped on the pontoon at the ramp and cut her lip. I had to give her back to her Mum a bit broken. 😕😞
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 7:25am
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Nice evening for a fish, I took my 8 year old grand daughter out. 3 m on the edge of ropers. It was all on as soon as we anchored, we kept 10, 6 over 45cm biggest 52cm. She had a ball. Unfortunately she tripped on the pontoon at the ramp and cut her lip. I had to give her back to her Mum a bit broken. 😕😞

Great work! She will remember that fishing trip after those great fish. Seems like ropers is fishing well! Weather is looking pretty good for the next two days as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 7:41am
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hope the granddaughters lips all ok to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 11:13am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers yeah she is a tough kid and has bounced back 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 11:55am
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like there's plenty of boats out there today!! If the wind doesn't get up and the kids play ball tonight I think I'll try a night fish tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:48pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out this morning for a few hours. Stunning day, plenty of boats out there. Warm water 23c, glassy calm.

Lots of small snapper around but we managed to find a few good size fish up to 43cm. Squid and pilchards doing the damage. Plenty of good size Koheru and small kahawai around. 

A first for me on the Harbour - a TURTLE!! Guess a good 60cm long and just cruising past. This was near Graham's Beach. 
Page  <1 247248249250251 288>