Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 188189190191192 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sat tides get us back inside the bar 2hrs before sundown.. light breeze from S coming in thats ok

That light SW breeze looks as if going to pick up after lunch.
Even thu swell down..NOT a time to cross the Waikato bar and the Manukau would be not the best either.
Will check this arvo forecast, if no change will pull the plug...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote josephal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:44pm
josephal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What sort of rigs and sinker weights are you guys using on the manukau? When I tried fishing it last year the current was horrendous lol. Granted you said try fishing couple hours before high.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by josephal josephal wrote:

What sort of rigs and sinker weights are you guys using on the manukau? When I tried fishing it last year the current was horrendous lol. Granted you said try fishing couple hours before high.

Hi Joseph. It depends entirely on where you're fishing. I usually fiosh shallow water of 5m or less and can usually get away with 6 to 1 oz or less. I strayline that shallow water or use a two hook dropper rig. Usually one of each.  For deeper water I use up to a 12oz sinker on a dropper rigs. I try to avoid the big tides unless it's an evening fish in the shallows. #m can be very productive on the big tides which are incoming tides with an approx 6pm low
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a free spot on my boat for a 9.00am start tomorrow. I've had someone drop out of my crew. PM me is you're keen to chase snapper across the Manukau Bar, leaving Te Toro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Spot taken thAnks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished harbour entrance superb conditions lots going over the bar
8 Snapper largest 52cm threw several legal ones back not big enough stopped fishing as had enough - didn't catch one Kahawai!

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:54pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice looking catch john,with some sizeable fish there,and all showing good condition.
Was considering a late afternoon ,early evening trip my self, but the sudden arrival of a fairly fresh south wester put paid to that.
Strange about no Kahawai. Associate this time of year with a few big ,very fat, roed up Kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work MacSkipper! We were one of those boats trundling past.We crossed the bar at around 10.30am. went out to 58m and it was very slow. In typical west coast fashion though things picked up and we got snapper to 10lb, 5 or 6 gurnard, a trevally, one kahawai and one of those big Peruvian - or whatever they are called - mackerel. Like a Jack mack but longer and more slender. We also got more than our fair share of big tope. Today was like a replay of last week were we had a similar catch of snapper and sharks. 

With an hour and a half to spare before we had to head in we towed some MacSkippy lures for albies and after 5mins were rewarded with a double strike, both of which ended up in the ice. A very productive day. This was a big gurnard, 47cm and 1.2kg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Nice looking catch john,with some sizeable fish there,and all showing good condition.
Was considering a late afternoon ,early evening trip my self, but the sudden arrival of a fairly fresh south wester put paid to that.
Strange about no Kahawai. Associate this time of year with a few big ,very fat, roed up Kahawai.
every day last few weeks wind in afternoon - possibly because water temp quite cool for this time of year and as land warms up sea breeze sets in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:32am
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks like we all had similar snapper fishing and great days out.
With all the wind we've been having it was nice to get out in light winds.
Our story is pretty similar to Smudge but we left at 1130 and went out to 47m.  
Fishing slow and got a number of kahawai, gurnard, one trev, pannie snapper and one 55cm, a small and a medium tope.  Hmm quite a bit of gear wasted on the tope.
Came back into 30m at 1730 but pannies got smaller and one got taken by what I imagine was a large shark (kingfish in my dreams) as it broke my line before we could see it.  Time to go home so crossed back in at 1830.
Conditions were great but we effectively crossed pretty close to low and high tides.  Great day out.
How far out were you trolling for the Albies Smudge?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We probably didn't need such an early start yesterday but launched just after 6 yesterday from Te Toro .
Bar was flat and just a little lumpy on the end of it with the out going tide .
Out to 60 meters and found the fishing slow with a snapper here and there but probably 2 million sharks .
We persisted for a few hours slowly filling the bin with reasonable sized pennies all the while releasing twice the number of sharks .
We moved in closer to a spot Neil had on his GPS at about 38 meters and then the fishing came alive and we filled the bins .
Best snapper was about 8 lb caught by Neil's daughter , we also had a few trevs , my and gurnard in there too .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

We probably didn't need such an early start yesterday but launched just after 6 yesterday from Te Toro .
Bar was flat and just a little lumpy on the end of it with the out going tide .
Out to 60 meters and found the fishing slow with a snapper here and there but probably 2 million sharks .
We persisted for a few hours slowly filling the bin with reasonable sized pennies all the while releasing twice the number of sharks .
We moved in closer to a spot Neil had on his GPS at about 38 meters and then the fishing came alive and we filled the bins .
Best snapper was about 8 lb caught by Neil's daughter , we also had a few trevs , my and gurnard in there too .

Nice work Skoti, fishing was slow for us at first then it picked up. Got the smoker fired up now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by TimTheEagle TimTheEagle wrote:

Looks like we all had similar snapper fishing and great days out.
With all the wind we've been having it was nice to get out in light winds.
Our story is pretty similar to Smudge but we left at 1130 and went out to 47m.  
Fishing slow and got a number of kahawai, gurnard, one trev, pannie snapper and one 55cm, a small and a medium tope.  Hmm quite a bit of gear wasted on the tope.
Came back into 30m at 1730 but pannies got smaller and one got taken by what I imagine was a large shark (kingfish in my dreams) as it broke my line before we could see it.  Time to go home so crossed back in at 1830.
Conditions were great but we effectively crossed pretty close to low and high tides.  Great day out.
How far out were you trolling for the Albies Smudge?

hi TTE, good to hear from you. Wefaknis told me the albies were at 65m so we headed there, found a current line and followed that. I think we spent 10mins dragging tuna lure when we had a double hook up. Did another 20 mins or so then pulled the pin to cross just before high. Smoked and fresh albie for tea Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olfishbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:43am
olfishbelly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is Monday 27 January going to be a safe day to cross the bar? I did a crossing with the Coastguard a few years ago but never ventured over again. Be keen to follow another boat out if anyone's willing to have us tag along. The forecast looks good weather wise with light winds and swells just over a metre. But I realise there's more to making a call than that. I'm not too sure whether it's a good day in terms of tidal flow, or what times would be ideal to cross and come back. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Joe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:24pm
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone around the papakura channel with some spare gas pls?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 3:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by olfishbelly olfishbelly wrote:

Is Monday 27 January going to be a safe day to cross the bar? I did a crossing with the Coastguard a few years ago but never ventured over again. Be keen to follow another boat out if anyone's willing to have us tag along. The forecast looks good weather wise with light winds and swells just over a metre. But I realise there's more to making a call than that. I'm not too sure whether it's a good day in terms of tidal flow, or what times would be ideal to cross and come back. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Joe.
Looks like it may be ok except outgoing tide which always roughens up bar - suggest you cross slack water or incoming so go out 630 return by 1230pm Mon?   What size is boat?  Can you do a trip report?   Should be a few going out that day - if not dont go as to rough!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olfishbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
olfishbelly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, Mac. So cross out a bit before high tide and return a bit before low tide? I thought from the coastguard educational videos that you should avoid crossing a few hours either side of low? Is it better, if possible, to cross both ways on an incoming tide?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:59am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, Mac. So cross out a bit before high tide and return a bit before low tide? I thought from the coastguard educational videos that you should avoid crossing a few hours either side of low? Is it better, if possible, to cross both ways on an incoming tide?
I am going by tides at paratutae island which is by bar NOT onehunga tide times half hr difference low tide is 630am high tide 1230 that is your safe window would avoid coming back in say 2pm you would be best till wait till 7pm then wind always builds in afternoon so morning is better!
Manukau bar is not too shallow at low tide unlike some bars but is usually rougher on outgoing tide as all the water trying to get out and usually west coast swell trying to get in. Avoid peak outgoing tidal flow.
Really on the day have a look and follow someone out if someone going out on Mon here they may offer?
If in doubt don't go! Log a trip report with coastguard!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:40am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

I am going by tides at paratutae island which is by bar NOT onehunga tide times half hr difference low tide is 630am high tide 1230 that is your safe window would avoid coming back in say 2pm you would be best till wait till 7pm then wind always builds in afternoon so morning is better!
Manukau bar is not too shallow at low tide unlike some bars but is usually rougher on outgoing tide as all the water trying to get out and usually west coast swell trying to get in. Avoid peak outgoing tidal flow.
Really on the day have a look and follow someone out if someone going out on Mon here they may offer?
If in doubt don't go! Log a trip report with coastguard!

Exactly what MacSkipper said. Low tide is fine to cross.  If you cross on an outgoing tide it will get hairy unless there is virtually no swell.  The river bar isn't generally suitable to cross at low
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Monday window is pretty good ..1.25 to 1.5m swell and wind rising to little more than a light breeze in the arvo and picks up little more around 4pm.
The bar is going to be busy all day...in both directions.
Mid size tides.. full at around 12:30pm.
 Heaps boats to follow out and in .

Waikato tide  is mid day.. can get down the creeks from around 9am.. earlier if familiar with them  Even thu the window is a granny crossing day.. very flat..I still like to be in over by 1:30 2pm very latest.
 looks like this extended weather window of the last week or so will be closing over around 3/4 pm tues.
 And nothing till at least around the 6/7th Feb.

Page  <1 188189190191192 288>