Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 187188189190191 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 6:23am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wild windy weather next few days - time to catch up on a bit of maintenance and walk dogs ready for next calm patch Cool...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep got an eye on next Sat / sunday for the bar.
 Written off the harbour a bit during this week also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a hard day on the Manukau. Lots of undersized snapper and only four keepers, down the harbour at kauri point.
Lots of boats out there .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:52pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Had a hard day on the Manukau. Lots of undersized snapper and only four keepers, down the harbour at kauri point.

You did much better than we did, nearly 5 hours on the harbour today and scarcely even a nibble between us.  I was worried we didn't have enough bait for the day when we set out, but you don't really need bait when nothing is eating it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for posting appreciate all reports good and bad - I am away from akld so weather is good of course!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:46am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

You did much better than we did, nearly 5 hours on the harbour today and scarcely even a nibble between us.  I was worried we didn't have enough bait for the day when we set out, but you don't really need bait when nothing is eating it.

Thanks for posting had same last weekend and rough to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:58am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We also struggled and our go to spots were dead. Managed to weigh a kahawai and trev in the kids competition and got two smallish snapper. But main feature of the day was huge sharks and stingrays. sushimi trev hit the spot though.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:02am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

We also struggled and our go to spots were dead. Managed to weigh a kahawai and trev in the kids competition and got two smallish snapper. But main feature of the day was huge sharks and stingrays. sushimi trev hit the spot though.
yum fresh trevally my favourite!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:00pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what was the water temp in the harbour
was going to go for a paddle in my kayak out of laingholm... sounds like its still too early
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 4:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

what was the water temp in the harbour
was going to go for a paddle in my kayak out of laingholm... sounds like its still too early
Was 19 degrees last weekend.  Was actually 20 3 weeks ago then dropped back to 19.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Waited foer the sunday wuindow and headed out over the Waikato bar.
 Think have figured out the min tide to get down the creeks..got to the ramp few minutes early
 Fog Thick fog...So put up the last track on navionics and crawled down...depth getting to 400mm..all good.
 Heard a bot coming up behind , pulled to the side.. well thnik it was the side as couldnt even make out the side of the creek.
About a 6m stabi, full plane goes pst.. experienced local boat , so take off after them..
 That was all good, but soon lost their prop marks.
Get to the port town and simply came out of a wall of fog to absolute clear sun...bit of a weird feeling.
Down to the bar, cell phone in.. head over.. dead flat... and no chop on the outside
 Perfect.
 Then head out towards the 35m mark and prospect a spot on the way.
Drop anchor and crew nailed a nice high 40+ even before I got my pre rigged rod baited..
Other crew brought in a few nice pannies and another 60s a PB
 Me nothing..eventually landing a couple nice pannies.
 Things went quiet
Then a bloody great shark..
 held for a few minutes another pannies and moved to intended 35m spot.
Coming up on full tide, anchor dropped, other crew nails a low 60s snap a PB...
2 crew 2 pbs..Thumbs Up
 Fished for a while ended up 2x 60s , 2 x mid 50s  2 x mid 40s  and 12 or 14 good pannies to hand around the neighbours , and a couple gurnard.. nothing spectacular.
Going over the top of the tide things just went dead, another good sized shark .. maybe a spottie as had lots spots Tongue
Then headed back to the bar...fastest cruise ever done out there 32 mph and I dont cruise at speeds to have the hull bang.
Being 2hrs after high , high tides there where a few pressure waves building inside the bar.. but all good.

Back at the ramp and Coxie pulls inbehind as backing down with the trailer...think he may  put up a video in next few days
 1st time seen his new J/ski...even tough its been out for the day, it and the trailer just glows .. "I have been very well looked after "

Another great day.. all new crew.. excellent company...and excellent feed for all and neighbours.

PS window goes thru to today till 10am.. tide/ window dont match.
 Next window wed arvo thru to around 5pm Thrus.. havnt checked if matches tides yet.
 And next Sat dawn thru to around monday dawn.. looking to keep an eye on.

Keep in mind I only look for a 5.5m boat, and NO breaks across the bar AT ALL.
 What I call 'granny crossing no chop' and at most a 'granny crossing' with a little chop at most.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fished the Manukau on Sunday from around 11am - 3pm, got 4 snapper and one gurnard (smudge wasn't lying).  Could have kept another 10 snapper that were west coast legal but I have a boat size limit of 33cm for snapper.  It was as forecast most of the morning but really blew up around 2pm which ruined the outgoing bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Waited foer the sunday wuindow and headed out over the Waikato bar.
 Think have figured out the min tide to get down the creeks..got to the ramp few minutes early
 Fog Thick fog...So put up the last track on navionics and crawled down...depth getting to 400mm..all good.
 Heard a bot coming up behind , pulled to the side.. well thnik it was the side as couldnt even make out the side of the creek.
About a 6m stabi, full plane goes pst.. experienced local boat , so take off after them..
 That was all good, but soon lost their prop marks.
Get to the port town and simply came out of a wall of fog to absolute clear sun...bit of a weird feeling.
Down to the bar, cell phone in.. head over.. dead flat... and no chop on the outside
 Perfect.
 Then head out towards the 35m mark and prospect a spot on the way.
Drop anchor and crew nailed a nice high 40+ even before I got my pre rigged rod baited..
Other crew brought in a few nice pannies and another 60s a PB
 Me nothing..eventually landing a couple nice pannies.
 Things went quiet
Then a bloody great shark..
 held for a few minutes another pannies and moved to intended 35m spot.
Coming up on full tide, anchor dropped, other crew nails a low 60s snap a PB...
2 crew 2 pbs..Thumbs Up
 Fished for a while ended up 2x 60s , 2 x mid 50s  2 x mid 40s  and 12 or 14 good pannies to hand around the neighbours , and a couple gurnard.. nothing spectacular.
Going over the top of the tide things just went dead, another good sized shark .. maybe a spottie as had lots spots Tongue
Then headed back to the bar...fastest cruise ever done out there 32 mph and I dont cruise at speeds to have the hull bang.
Being 2hrs after high , high tides there where a few pressure waves building inside the bar.. but all good.

Back at the ramp and Coxie pulls inbehind as backing down with the trailer...think he may  put up a video in next few days
 1st time seen his new J/ski...even tough its been out for the day, it and the trailer just glows .. "I have been very well looked after "

Another great day.. all new crew.. excellent company...and excellent feed for all and neighbours.

PS window goes thru to today till 10am.. tide/ window dont match.
 Next window wed arvo thru to around 5pm Thrus.. havnt checked if matches tides yet.
 And next Sat dawn thru to around monday dawn.. looking to keep an eye on.

Keep in mind I only look for a 5.5m boat, and NO breaks across the bar AT ALL.
 What I call 'granny crossing no chop' and at most a 'granny crossing' with a little chop at most.
good read - liked.  If you only go out when calm forecast then you will only get hammered a few times a year - if you push your luck one day you will get in trouble, so stay safe out there...its not worth dying over!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you only go out when calm forecast then you will only get hammered a few times a year - if you push your luck one day you will get in trouble, so stay safe out there...its not worth dying over!

Those couple calm day trips we took over the Manuaku bar in your 420 where a great influence on my already cautious attitude to the sea..espec bars. Had been over in bigger boats, the small er boat gives excellent perspective.

I go out when it has been calm, and come back ( strict tide dependent) when still going to be calm.
if you push your luck one day you will get in trouble,
Have an attitude those who want to push their luck for the sake of going out to get a feed and good company PLAY AT HEROES.. Its the ppl who go out to get them when things go wrong are the REAL HEROES

Crossing a bar is like crossing a road
  You can cross when not busy periods between rush hour (flat water) and look each way (wind swell height  visual etc)
 Or simply put a blind fold on , have only a rough idea of time of day, and walk out into the traffic hopping it will go around you (big set of waves dont come thru.

I always intend to come home to my wife, grandchild with a feed.. and similar with any crew, other wise what is the point.

Hmm Thurs looking real good , no wind and in thr nth..

Sat tides get us back inside the bar 2hrs before sundown.. light breeze from S coming in thats ok

Sunday Tide means coming in too close to sundown, and nautical is about 30 mins after

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:35pm
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

Planning my first trip out from mangere bridge this weekend and am looking for some help on where to start. Was thinking of heading between Te Tau bank and wairopa channel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kaplin14 Kaplin14 wrote:

Hey guys,

Planning my first trip out from mangere bridge this weekend and am looking for some help on where to start. Was thinking of heading between Te Tau bank and wairopa channel?
high or low tide?   Time your trip 2 hrs before slack water to much flow mid tide so bite is hour or two each side of high or low tide, if first time from mangere go over high tide gets quite shallow in places over low?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 7:26am
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Originally posted by Kaplin14 Kaplin14 wrote:

Hey guys,

high or low tide?   Time your trip 2 hrs before slack water to much flow mid tide so bite is hour or two each side of high or low tide, if first time from mangere go over high tide gets quite shallow in places over low?  

Was thinking I'll try mid way through the rising tide cycle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if first time from mangere go over high tide gets quite shallow in places over low?
 Do you have gps plotter or at least navionics on your phone or tablet..
Banks do move a bit, even so will keep you in the right place, espec if mist is present like last weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kaplin14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:08am
Kaplin14 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yip have navionic on phone was going to try out wairopa channel first and see how I get on there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Give that a go
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <1 187188189190191 288>