Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 280281282283284 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 12:30pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work FlawOne!!
What type of jigs were you using? Might head out early tomorrow for a crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 2:05pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We use 200g Orange knife jigs but to be honest we didn't try anything else as it worked straight away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 3:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well what an interesting afternoon. Haha flew over the Manukau today saw all the mud banks.Yep we were on the DC3 so those looking up we were looking down.Looked calm.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 10:44am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out on Fri for the evening high tide off Jenkins for heaps of undersize, just going thru the baits
Very patchy, with lots of nothing at all happening then undersize again
Just 1 for the bin along a tide line mid channel
Before heading out that day, spoke to a fala who had been out all day 6am till 3pm, they got a feed but was hard very going... he had a white cat runabout, neat looking boat too

Went out this morning off Jenkins, straight to the banks, a few around 33cm for the bin, then game over at 630am..... just bait strippers after that without the rod nodding & bloody stingrays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 11:39am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Arron went out on  Friday with my other son Scotty. Slow going but they came back with 6 snapper, biggest was 48cm. Scott got a small kingfish which was undersized and had some excitement when a big bronzie took his live bait, Arron estimated it at well over 100kg. Their sabiki also nabbed an anchovy, always plenty of those in the harbour this time of year

Arron and I went out yesterday and another slow one, we had 4 on board and had a little fun chasing the tern work ups in the Waiuku channel for smallish kahawai.  We went home with some Jack mackerel and 10 snapper, the biggest was 58cm which isn't a bad fish, I nabbed one around 50cm& the others were all around 30 to 35cm. I had problems with a stingray that wanted to stay down deep on the light gear and a little while later we had a visit from a decent sized short tailed stingray in 21m deep water, quite likely the one I had on about ten minutes before. I think he came up to swear at me.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 12:47pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had an afternoon mission to Jenkins bay, where I met Bananaboat and Sam.  I was keen to meet the guys and fish their local.  But oh boy...fishing was tough!  Found lots of bait balls in the area, unfortunately I left my sabiki at home.  

Caught and released heaps of undersized snapper.  Fishing conservation at it's finest LOL.

The hot run over the past couple months finally came to a halt.  But overall I had a good time and it was great to fish a new area.  Marked a couple of spots that I will hit next time.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 12:50pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cracker fish guys  👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 10:16pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shott out this afternoon to put my mate onto his first King of 2024, the smile says it all. Cracker start to the year guys!

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 5:47pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work FlawOne!
We went out at dawn yesterday and found it patchy. Used your jig tips to find some kingies though! Landed a rat, and then had a rod issue that saw me lose what felt like  a good one. Bye bye jig Confused
Came back with 1 good Trev, 2 snaps and kept 3 fat kahawai. Brilliant morning out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 9:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, good to see some Manukau reports, fishing is hard in the harbour right now but having said that there are some great fish to be caught.

I'm out again tomorrow pm in the harbour, but I'll be bait bitch some very infrequent fishers. I'd personally be staying out until dark but yeah we'll be in by 5.oopm missing the best bits - and hopefully Saturday off the coast with Jackel Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 9:50am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bit of a late report. Got out on Sunday evening, not Friday as planned.

Launched late afternoon and immediately had an oops moment, forgetting to put the trusty bung in. Gave me a chance to give the bilge pump a good workout before we set off though.

We fished a hole near the Papakura channel, slow going with only two fish in about an hour. One of them was close to 50cm and the other a nice pan size. I lost another good fish, and I was surprised we were not catching numerous goldfish as per other reports.

With the full tide approaching we tried the depths of the Papakura channel. We immediately found all of those little snapper, with every bait being stolen within milliseconds of hitting the bottom or close to it. We managed a few more decent fish in amongst feeding the nursery snapper though and took 7 nice eaters home between the two of us in the end.

A school shark topped off a very bumpy evening. The harbour was nice and flat throughout the Waiuku channel, but the Papakura channel was pretty uncomfortable with white caps everywhere.

Still some decent fish to be had!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 12:25am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Mr Gurnard. We were out today, launched at 3.30pm and back by 7.30pm, all for 5 snapper. I took some friends out fishing who were visiting from the South Island. Fishing in Milton isn't that great and we visit them sometimes and they visit us sometimes. Needless to say, whenever the weather permits, visitors to the Hillbilly Mansion usually get treated to a fishing session.

Today was a stunning day but our guests have mobility issues so despite the conditions I had to be careful about where we went. Conditions weren't quite glassy but not too bad so we went to an old favourite spot on the northern side of the Papakura channel off Big Bay - a kilometre or two west of the tripod. We anchored in 7m of water.

My friends enjoy fishing as most kiwis do but it is a treat for them and they need some pretty intensive supervision. So I was kind of busy.

It was a long haul and after rebaiting their hooks at least one million times (no need to exaggerate Smudge), we finally caught an almost 30cm snap. This is a big deal for these guys so in the bin it went. In these situations I always chuck out astray line and once hooked up I hand it to one of the guests, next fish to the other guest etc.

After 3 29.5 to 32cm snaps in the bin my rod buckled over and after a bit of a tussle a 60cm snapper joined us on board. We got one more fish after that, a 36cm snapper. Dinner sorted for tomorrow night!

Another very slow day on the big muddy but that isn't unusual for this time of year. We have done three trips in the last 5 days and each day has been slow. Each day though, we've had a 48cm or bigger fish which have been bigger each time, all in vastly different locations.

When I figure out this fishing lark I'll let you know!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 10:02pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kept the Grandkids up late to try flounder spearing.......... we saw 2 eels and nothing else, we walked the length of Waiau pa Beach, not even a little one.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 11:21am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bugger, I haven't been spearing in ages, must give it a crack
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 2:19pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a couple of hours out on the muddy yesterday .
Not my favorite time of year for snapper fishing in the harbour , nor was the big tide but when you have flat clm days , well.....

Thought I'd try a different approach to hopefully avoid the pesky little snapper at this time of year .
Softbaiting on the drift in deep water seemed like the thing .

A quick check of the softbait collection I've acquired over time suggested I had enough for the day LOL

The Papakura reefs seemed the most obvious location with depths of 20-30 meters , the hot afternoon sun wouldn't put the fish off .

There were a few boats up around but not on my favorite anchoring spot , so it was easy enough to drift past them and run over a bunch of marks of significance .

Had a few hits but nothing stuck on my first drift .
On my second drift as I slowly went past an anchored boat I noted that was only catching throwbacks , I hooked up .
I might have put a bit more drama into fighting the fish for my spectators , but I doubt if I'd win an Oscar LOL

A nice 420 snapper on the Z-man curly tail was the result .

A few more drifts resulted in a few more hits , but nothing stuck and in the end I headed for home to get out of the heat ( and a few hydrating beers as an after thought !)

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:51am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hit Clarks Beach 2-days straight and the fishing was tough.  I spent Saturday morning concentrating on catching a King and slow trolling a live bait.  The channel was very busy.  There were a number of boats heading through the channel to do a spot of game fishing.  

Sunday morning I couldn’t catch a livie, and I straylined in the channel to catch a couple of snapper.  I also caught a scallop.  

Overall, fishing was tough!  I spoke to a number of anglers at the campground who also found it hard.

The shallows from Tokoroa Point to Pollock were teeming with mullet and stingrays.  There was also the odd shark.  Big tides at the moment.  I’ll be back next week and try again.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:52am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Skoti. I have also acquired a few alternative softies and jigs/sliders over the years that I have yet to really try out on the Muddy. Might have to try a similar approach with the sliders soon. 

My tow wagon poo'd the bed (seems to be a regular occurrence for me in the last year or two) over the weekend. Hopefully just the alternator which we replaced last night. Need to try and get out again soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 7:55am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Schecter Schecter wrote:

I hit Clarks Beach 2-days straight and the fishing was tough.  I spent Saturday morning concentrating on catching a King and slow trolling a live bait.  The channel was very busy.  There were a number of boats heading through the channel to do a spot of game fishing.  

Sunday morning I couldn’t catch a livie, and I straylined in the channel to catch a couple of snapper.  I also caught a scallop.  

Overall, fishing was tough!  I spoke to a number of anglers at the campground who also found it hard.

The shallows from Tokoroa Point to Pollock were teeming with mullet and stingrays.  There was also the odd shark.  Big tides at the moment.  I’ll be back next week and try again.  

That is a good result given the larger tides! Straylining for scallops is a neat idea ClapWink

Saw heaps of boats heading out to Port Waikato on Saturday too. The bar's must have been busy. I opted to surf instead. Hopefully will get a mid week fish in weather depending.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 6:22am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Had a couple of hours out on the muddy yesterday .
Not my favorite time of year for snapper fishing in the harbour , nor was the big tide but when you have flat clm days , well.....

Thought I'd try a different approach to hopefully avoid the pesky little snapper at this time of year .
Softbaiting on the drift in deep water seemed like the thing .

A quick check of the softbait collection I've acquired over time suggested I had enough for the day LOL

The Papakura reefs seemed the most obvious location with depths of 20-30 meters , the hot afternoon sun wouldn't put the fish off .

There were a few boats up around but not on my favorite anchoring spot , so it was easy enough to drift past them and run over a bunch of marks of significance .

Had a few hits but nothing stuck on my first drift .
On my second drift as I slowly went past an anchored boat I noted that was only catching throwbacks , I hooked up .
I might have put a bit more drama into fighting the fish for my spectators , but I doubt if I'd win an Oscar LOL

A nice 420 snapper on the Z-man curly tail was the result .

A few more drifts resulted in a few more hits , but nothing stuck and in the end I headed for home to get out of the heat ( and a few hydrating beers as an after thought !)

Nice work Skoti, didn't you have an imitation bullet tuna softbait to use Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 6:55am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Nice work Skoti, didn't you have an imitation bullet tuna softbait to use Big smile
If only ! !
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Page  <1 280281282283284 289>