Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 264265266267268 269>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 6:40pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good score helping another fisho out when needed

what depth were you fishing
hanging out to fish my local again, has been stink for me last few trips
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work Tonto. There are some good trevs in the harbour, I weighed one for MARS yesterday that went 2.57kg and he had a pile of them. He gave me one for dinner and it was very much appreciated. A quick scallop mission after that and a crafty strayline over the beds scored us a trev too.

We crossed the bar two hours before high today and headed out to 60m. We stopped on the way to nab some kahawai out of the big work ups between 20 and 40m. They were herding up anchovies, exciting stuff on light gear. We motored out to 58m in a nasty little chop and had a very quick catch of snapper. Nothing as big as a month ago but just as many. All too soon we were smashing our way back in, taking a wave over the front for the first time ever on this boat at least.

The harbour was nasty all the way back to Te Toro but we still stopped to get some scallops. Big and tasty. A good day out but I'm sore and tired Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 2:21pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried various depths and baits    but just wasn't our day, mostly fished in 4 to 5m.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 6:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Tonto2, cheers mate, good to know

smudge, trevs over the scolly bed you say ?
I must give this a try, theres easy access to a bed by my place.
Are you using a meat berley or something different like kina mussel.... I guess shellfish for baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 9:18am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Scallop gills or whatever they are. Small squid is a good bait too. Any sort of burley should work, just get it down on the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:56pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nabbed a couple of decent trevally straylining on the channel edges this weekend our buddy next to us also got a couple of good sized gurnards as well as a bunch of snapper in the low 30's, lots of undersized ones went back. Plenty of Kahawai around but lots of small ones. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 8:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tinfisher Tinfisher wrote:

Nabbed a couple of decent trevally straylining on the channel edges this weekend our buddy next to us also got a couple of good sized gurnards as well as a bunch of snapper in the low 30's, lots of undersized ones went back. Plenty of Kahawai around but lots of small ones. 

That's good to hear Tinfisher. A workmate was asking me today where the fish were at in the harbour after he fished for 5 hours without a bite. Apart from a sneaky trevally we've been saving our petrol pennies for the coast so haven't done much at all in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 9:00am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sounds like some hard fishing in the harbour and the usual over the coast.

I haven’t been out in a long time. Reading these reports I think I’ll try and get out into the deeper channels over the next week if this brisk wind ever dies down and report back to see if they’re fishing better than the shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 8:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

i 'have to' go gurnard fishing this weekend. Sunday is looking horrific. But I can do that Big smilelet me know if you're keen Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 7:47pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would be keen Smudge, unfortunately working however OuchOuch

Monday looks okay at this stage. Will get the little tin out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 9:20pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally got out on the Harbour this evening after a couple of months.

Launched at Waiau Pa, they’ve revamped the facilities and it’s looking awesome.

It was a bit choppy in the 12ft Frypan on the way out of the river but a bit of spray was welcomed as it was pretty humid. I left the fish finder at home today, hardly ever take it out anymore in the little tin as I only have two real spots close to the ramp that I fish anyway.

My ideal plan was to fish the depths in the Papakura channel this time but I launched just after the tide change due to sleeping a little longer after my night shift overnight.
Therefore I set out to one of my winter carrot spots to see if there were any early snapper here.

I anchored in about 3m and deployed two straylines.

I didn’t expect much and thought I was too shallow, I got ready to pull pick and move a bit deeper and one of my rods was nodding away in the rod holder. First fish was a modest pan sized snapper.

Second fish came not long after, putting up a decent fight. I got it to the boat and realised it was a nice sized gurnard! Sweet!

I continued casting out the back of the boat and picked up a few more pannies and a couple of Kahawai, one falling off the hook as I attempted to pull it in…that’ll teach me for being lazy and not using the net.

Enjoyed the afternoon as it glassed off a little making the ride in a lot smoother. The tin really flies with the newish 15hp merc. Only used about a litre of gas if that.

Good to see snapper showing up. I had a couple of throw backs which mr shag stolen for his tea. Those fish were all legal too. Nothing of decent size today but a feed none the less, currently sitting on salt ice awaiting the filleting table tomorrow morning.

Was awesome to get back out. I’ll try get out a lot more and report back regularly. Usually I fish the deeper channels but since I got rid of the lazercraft and downsized dramatically I think straylining the flats will be my go to this summer. Hoping to get a king too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 6:08am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good too see you got out Gurnard. Fishing close to the 'red pole' by any chance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 12:58pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Good to see snapper showing up. I had a couple of throw backs which mr shag stolen for his tea. Those fish were all legal too.

Shag managed to swallow a legal size snapper?? That would have been a laugh to see. Crazy what birds can fit down their gullet.

I caught a decent size piper the other day and a seagull grabbed it when I wasn't looking. Turned around and saw the piper nose poking out its beak as it ran away LOL

Is their airway not also the throat? Surprised they don't choke themselves
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

gurnard - yay, the snaps are back in town.... hanging out for a feed of muddy snaps

Just looked thru my journal, it was 28/11 last year was my earliest on the muddy off Jenkins, 4 of us in kayaks kept 23 snaps between us 33-35cm water temp that time was 22.5deg on the banks, outgoing tide with a slight northerly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:58am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Haha yeah it was a 27cm snap so barely legal and caught it mid air as I threw it back. It struggled to inhale it but not long after it drifted away trying to swallow the thing it returned for more. It was a bloody big bird however.

Straylined cubes of mullet and squid did the damage for me. I did have a yellowtail mack fillet out the back which resulted in a decent Kahawai but no big snapper. They’ll come…
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I always used to say that when the cicadas sing it is the start of snapper time on the Big Muddy. I've learnt a thing or two since then but I heard my first cicada last weekend Big smile

some great trevs in the harbour right now. October/November is the best time IMO but you can get them all year round
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 7:49pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok Manukau boys/girls. This Sunday suppose to be N/NE 10/12 am thinking might go up towards the airport,papakura channel??where it rises from 23m to 12m and fish the edge. Thoughts? 3.9m tide 9.50am high,thinking fish last of incoming and bit of out going.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 10:22am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's going to be shabby on the outgoing especially if wind gets to 15 knots. Harbour is fishing well and lots of trevs if you know where the shellfish beds are. Not that I've fished the harbour recently but some good trevally getting caught. Still a few carrots around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 12:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Haven't done the muddy since Sept, got the kayak out off blockhouse bay. Stacks of sign, most Ive seen at anytime on the muddy, no bites on my go to spot, current was ripping thru there, water was dirty, which it usually is on the outgoing, half tide down... gave it an hr with no bites then paddled back in
Headed over to Kaitarakihi by Huia for change of tide, water cleaner, both places 18.6 deg, got bites on the incoming, kept a 38cm trev & a snap of 36, few throwbacks & baits being stripped clean without the rod nodding. The water got lumpy in the variable breeze just as the bite was coming on, so paddled back in. Both fish on frozen mullet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 4:06pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good work BananaBoat, sometimes you just have to switch it up and change your game plan on the muddy. I was out on Saturday morning fishing the incoming tide from Cornwallis in the Wairopa and Te Tau banks area. Plenty of small snapper with only a couple over 30cms that came home. Around the turn of the tide large schools of KY were found under working Terns on the back of the bank which made for good fun on the light gear. Fished a little of the outgoing for a rat kingie and not much else.
Inner City Slayers.
Page  <1 264265266267268 269>