Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 260261262263264>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:44am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Yeah might have to take a trip out </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Huia/Cornwallis</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Interesting to hear you've been having success </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Titirangi</span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"> area, thought it was too far inward.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Yeah was tryna fish during the day East. Maybe I'll give night time a try.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Not a real fisherman though cause scared of the cold LOL</span>

Grew up in Titirangi. Takes a while to figure out the area and a lot of it is trial and error. Now I live on the other side of the harbour and its vastly different again. The Titirangi side has a lot more rocky areas whilst the Waiuku/Awhitu area is more beachy, quite the contrast.

There’s a guy on YouTube, darkmoon angler, who does a lot of fishing out those ways and is probably one of the most successful land based harbour fisherman On the muddy. He has lots of tips on his videos too. Unsure if he is a member here ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 6:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Many times Ive headed out from Kaitarakihi bay, just before Huia.... theres always someone there landbased fishing

Also worth checking out Lawry point. Go to Mill bay, walk around the shoreline towards Armour bay. Most times I have seen guys fishing there way before dawn
Try floating baits under a cork or something else
Ive caught kahawai & trevs on small jigs, just cast & retrieve, most are caught mid water upwards

Also worth doing sight fishing for flounder during the day
This is something I will explore when I get the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mX3yQMQZQg
This fala does it on east side... no difference doing it west side
Theres a heap of guys been doing sight fishing for flounder the last few years & very successful with minimal effort
From what I have seen in videos, flounder are very aggressive & readily take lures when dropped in from of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtZDmogG70

that's a very interesting post you put up there Bananas, thank you.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 4:18pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Huia or Kaitarakihi better than Cornwallis?

Heading out there tomorrow to see if I can catch anything
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 6:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'd choose Kaitarakihi, targeting kahawai and trevally
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 6:57pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I'd choose Kaitarakihi, targeting kahawai and trevally
Use to go there early morning still day,low tide and cast out and get gurnard,november from memory,about 1990s went several times.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah low tide is a good time to start
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:33pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

to the left there is rock people fish off and to the right a bit of reef coming out,use go centre of beach,when no one there.Might have to go again one day.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

Went to Kaitarakihi for a few hours. Didn't get a single bite and got super discouraged and went home lol.

Got some tips about positioning from the locals/regulars though. Sounds like no one there caught anything today not just me, so I feel better

Will try another day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 9:28pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You get days like that. That’s fishing ! I didn’t have much luck either today and that was on a boat in the middle of a mussel farm. Southerly wind didn’t help.

Keep at it mate. Half the fun is the chase and the learning side of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 4:50pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We ventured from home in the early hours of the morning at 4am, and launched at Waiau Pa. We stopped at various spots in Āwhitu, Grahams beach, Wattle Bay and the Manukau heads.  

Many gannet workups were spotted along the way and we used various methods to catch the fish beneath them; Straylining with pilchards, ledger rigs and casting softbaits.  The Gurnard and Kahawai that we caught were very fat.  As much as we tried, we didn’t land a legal Snapper.  

This is my first boat trip in the Manukau and it didn’t disappoint.  It was great to reunite with the boys, as this is our first get together since the 3 Species Challenge in April. It was also great to explore potential fishing spots for future kayak trips.  The currents that rip through Big bay and Orua bay are next level, and unfortunately some of the spots would be too dangerous to venture on the kayak.  

Finally at home safe and sound with a good feed and great memories.  I’m keen to do another round at the Manukau very soon.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 5:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Schecter. Those gurnard look pretty fat to me especially the one second to left. Did you measure them?

By the look of the sea that must have been Friday or maybe Saturday? Lucky you were out on small tides or the current would have been way worse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:05pm
Bronze
Bronze

4 days at Kaitarakihi now and total 1 bite LOL
I'll get there.

Took a bbq and the girlfriend with me this time so it was much less boring haha

Also, I've been Snell Knotting my hooks but had a couple snap off. I'm using 10kg line, and even when I pull the knot tight it's snapped sometimes.

I think perhaps the eye of the hook where it joins back to the hook is sharp and cutting my line? You guys ever had this trouble?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, that can be an issue. If it is a clean break then that's the most likely cause. If you have a 'pig tail' on the end of your line then your knots are slipping. Fishing from the shore takes dedication. Keep going, you WILL get there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:58pm
Bronze
Bronze

I notice this guy uses some "chafe tube" on his snell knot to protect against the join

Not sure if chafe tube is a specific thing, but I have some glow tube so I'll give that a try see if it helps protect the line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That guy kind of knows what he's about :)

He's tying a hook for livebaits for king fish and marlin. If you're having problems while fishing for lesser fish I'm guessing there is something else going on. What line weight are you using and what knot are you tying?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 1:55pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out for a fish with the incoming tide on Saturday. Not a single snapper/gurnard or trev caught. But the Kahawai were so thick on the Te Tau Bank you could pretty much walk on them. Great Fun!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 3:08pm
Bronze
Bronze

@Smudge: I'm using Black Magic Supple 10kg mono and doing this version of Snell Knot https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/easy-snell-knot

(you start the wraps from the bottom and go up... which is the reverse of the previous video I mentioned. But my fingers couldn't wrap top to bottom without it slipping out all the time, so switch to bottom-up)

Just pulling the knot tight resulted in a snap/cut sometimes.

I'll tie a few more tonight with a few different hooks. Perhaps the particular hooks I was using had a nasty sharp bit. Some experimenting is required to find the cause
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:19pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When land based fishing, especially around rocks I always use a leader and heavier line than 10kg.

Usually I’ll go with 15kg for my main line from the rocks and 60lb trace. Heavier if it’s big snapper and king territory. I’ll go lighter if I’m targeting Trevally though.

This time of year use burley. And try different baits. Mullet and bonito is good on the manukau and will more often than not result in a few Kahawai and Trevally this time of year. Small 4/0 circle hooks and cubes of bait, usually fish one rod with a ledger rig and try another with a stray line setup, small ball sinker on top of the hook. A running rig can also work and avoid using big baits. Just some things that work for me.

Things will click into place mate. Gotta do your apprenticeship as they say.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 6:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Gurnard is fishing the same way I do from the sound of it. At the moment the harbour is full of kahawai and using berley will certainly draw them in.If the know is sometimes breaking when you tie it and snug it up tight then something is going wrong or maybe it's not the right one for you. The most reliable knot for me is a uniknot, perhaps learn to tie that first rather than a snell, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 9:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or improved clinch. Tie droppers with a spider hitch, cut the droppers to length down to one strand , cut from the bottom of two strands.
 And then cut down remaining strand to length. Then tie a nice improved clinch knot to hook putting a free running lumo bead behind the hook. Use 24 kg trace to do this and most things you want catch won’t get away or break it.
Page  <1 260261262263264>