Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 191192193194195 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 2:39pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done John.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

92 cm ky  that would have been atrophy ky even back in the 60s and 70s
73 cm is the best (wife ) has got 8 yrs ago off Pakatoa

66 was the best off the coast a few days back
 That is huge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

92 cm ky  that would have been atrophy ky even back in the 60s and 70s
73 cm is the best (wife ) has got 8 yrs ago off Pakatoa

66 was the best off the coast a few days back
 That is huge.

It’s a kingfish Steps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:48pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Well done John.
thanks thats the fifth in last 3 weeks and first legal one largest till today was 73.5 - can tick that off the bucket list arms are a bit sore...
(Saw Liz watering your garden today)
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 3:15pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm not getting out as much as  I'd like to of late, but we did get out on Sunday.  Had to stay in the harbour as the good old South Westerley wind was blowing up a hooley  . . . as is usual this year.
Tucked in close below South head but with no fish biting, decided to head out into the rough stuff and fish off Paratutae and Nine-pin over low water.  Although it was pretty bumpy and we copped a few waves over the stern it was worth the effort: Did 3 very slow drifts and caught a dozen snaps between 2 of us.  All were caught on fresh piper or frozen squid and right down in the depths at 45-47m.  Nothing big but all in the 34-38cm range.
Came back into Little Huia and got chatting to a certain TimThe Eagle whilst retrieving the boat.  Nice to put a face to the name Tim!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

I'm not getting out as much as  I'd like to of late, but we did get out on Sunday.  Had to stay in the harbour as the good old South Westerley wind was blowing up a hooley  . . . as is usual this year.
Tucked in close below South head but with no fish biting, decided to head out into the rough stuff and fish off Paratutae and Nine-pin over low water.  Although it was pretty bumpy and we copped a few waves over the stern it was worth the effort: Did 3 very slow drifts and caught a dozen snaps between 2 of us.  All were caught on fresh piper or frozen squid and right down in the depths at 45-47m.  Nothing big but all in the 34-38cm range.
Came back into Little Huia and got chatting to a certain TimThe Eagle whilst retrieving the boat.  Nice to put a face to the name Tim!

thanks for posting interesting story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:52am
Titanium
Titanium

Went out this morning outer harbour from Little Huia - choppy and wind building very quiet - then this fella came in - 82cm.
Quiet cause all fish running scared....
LOTS of land based fishos around Little Huia - most I have seen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 11:31am
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice meeting you and your fishing buddy too Alex.  Another guy at the ramp had a lovely kingfish that I would estimate at 20 kg and 1.4m.  He was catching livies to put out under a balloon in the harbour.  The kingie hit the livie just before he got it in the boat.  Great and very lucky catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey tim the eagle was that 20kg fish you saw .was it last sunday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:53pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yep thats right gumboot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 6:06pm
Silver
Silver

In that case that would have been me with that king.
Went just shy of 22kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 6:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

Pleased to meet you gumboot.  It was a good one mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:27pm
Silver
Silver

Yea likewise mate. Harbours been good to me lately.
Hopefully get out sat morning. If ya see me dont hesitate to pop over for a yarn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olfishbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:38pm
olfishbelly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where and how do you catch livies in a boat around Little Huia? Is it better to catch them from shore before you launch? Off Cornwallis wharf? Advice much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:37pm
Silver
Silver

Burly in a shallow bay or off the bricks will turn up bait fish . Piper small trevs,ky etc are all there.even here there are a few macs & Koheru around just need to look. Iv spent days & days on the harbour learning when & where. I used to fish huia point of the bricks nearly every weekend but those cockroaches have over run it so now have to fish out of the boat. Leaving there rubbish , line etc all over the rocks very sad to see
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 11:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, some god stories! we fished hard all day. First up for snapper - we got 8 that we kept in the Papakura channel between 28 & 36cm, got a few Jack macks as well which went into the live bait tank.

Next stop was our never fail trevally spot. we failed.

then off to nab some big snapper but the dreaded red weed beat us and we managed a nice fat zilch.

So, kingfish time! Nothing.

Let's try for a gurnard then. We caught one. At only 660g it was still good enough for a day prize in the Counties Classic.

this comp runs for 3 days, tomorrow will be better.

Highlights for the comp for the harbour:

Biggest harbour snapper 4kg
Biggest king  13kg
:Biggest KY about 2.6kg
Biggest gurnard 0.76kg
Coxie got a decent trevally but was beaten by Mars with a fish close to 3kg

Biggest snapper off the coast approx 3kg
1 X marlin tagged at 112m - bugger that it was lumpy as.

Two more days of it. Team Smudge will make a late run

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 11:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Team Smudge will make a late run

Yeah sure you will Smudge...
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olfishbelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:17am
olfishbelly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, gumboot. Yeah it sure has become competitive around the point there. And at Cornwallis. I was there last week and a fullah had FOUR rods spread all around the end of the pier. And he was using another one to catch live baits. People have different ideas about how much public space they're entitled to take up, that's for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 5:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

Went out in outer harbour today entrance/bar looked rough but harbour ok - kahawai around and biting so got a feed but no kingis today, ended up fishing under a drifting dead cow!  bit stinky but quite a workup nearby on sounder - no bites though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:56am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any updates smudge?
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Page  <1 191192193194195 288>