Lure reskirt

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure reskirt
    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 6:46pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With weather how it is, have been reskirting a few lures.

An observation is the new skirts are longer than older. This should make the lure more lazier. Is there a formula formula for length vs diameter.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:04pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shorten them till you've gone too far then glue back on. Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:09pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rule of thumb. Remove thumb before closing scissors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 10:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Is there a formula for length vs diameter?

And you're asking this on a fishing site
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Is this the comedy club forum? Clown

No idea on the answer to that Yknot. My guess is that the head shape and size (Shocked) would determine the optimum length of the skirt and as you say a long skirt is likely to result in a lazier lure so I'm also guessing there must be some optimal ratio. 

No idea though as I'm not much of a game fisherman.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:00am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is this a Scottish skirt Smudge.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:12am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a quick comment -

If you find the lure is a bit lazy with the length of the skirt dampening action, try cutting about a centimeter out of every 2nd tassle in the skirt. You'd be very surprised at how much this lightens up the lure.

And don't worry if you get to the end and there is an odd number ..... just leave that extra one!

For some reason the skirt opens up and doesn't seem to stick together for lack of a better description.
That tiny bit of trimming makes a huge difference.

At other times, agree - you have to bite the bullet and cut the length to get the right action to lure ratio.

Start small before getting radical.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:29am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm not sure how much longer I can contain myself, so please excuse me if my resolve fails me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:57pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the input guys, JAPIE will try that.

I am now accepting that I must accept the extra length.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 5:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The trouser or skirt length.

If it comes to lures, it's only a base tool that requires tuning.

To achieve the performance you require behind the head you choose to fit it to, and the conditions your in and the position it sits in your spread..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 5:04pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, the humour is worth the price of admission.
This site never fails to deliver. You take the good with the bad :-)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:22pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To add something vaguely serious, as I understand it - if you want high speed trolling lures, leave the length on. Otherwise action is probably more useful.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:58pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Is this the comedy club forum? Clown

No idea on the answer to that Yknot. My guess is that the head shape and size (Shocked) would determine the optimum length of the skirt and as you say a long skirt is likely to result in a lazier lure so I'm also guessing there must be some optimal ratio. 

No idea though as I'm not much of a game fisherman.

Soooo Knee length about right then. Too short and the head action becomes overly enthusiastic and attracts unwanted predators and becomes too hard to control in even the best of conditions. Too long and it will have an adverse effect on its intended victim, inso far as that it may well go unnoticed in a spread of otherwise more appealing lures, thence getting it left out of further spreads, and awaiting its rediscovery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This thread has to improve. Surely. :-)
Honestly - I have left them as they come off the shelf. But that may be no recommendation. But obviously - they don't expect you to run them longer than that. Only Q is whether you want shorter.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 4:24am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wouldn't the logical thing be to trim the new skirt back to the same length as the old one, assuming you were happy with how the lure was running with the old skirt length. If totally different skirt material then you have a problem and should go and do some sea trials.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 6:56am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Wouldn't the logical thing be to trim the new skirt back to the same length as the old one, assuming you were happy with how the lure was running with the old skirt length. If totally different skirt material then you have a problem and should go and do some sea trials.

Marli gator that was my thought also, was a head I acquired, not yet run. Skirt to fit is extra 60mm longer, lot to cut off. Take it for a swim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:01am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes take it for a swim, if it is a lure you run off the short or long corner, then nice and easy, but if off a rigger then a pain as you will need to take an outrigger. I am assuming you still have a trailer boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:08am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to your original question.
There maybe a formula.
I see two paths for you.

Firstly you could use your own lure stock to measure head diameters and skirt lengths.
That would give you a baseline.

Secondly you could pm Peter or Bonze.
Or any lure manufacturer.
They will have some baseline principles for there construction that may improve your understanding.
Page  12>