FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockdown list: your top 3 softbaits

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 11 minutes ago at 6:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a pretty comprehensive jighead collection, Dan. I recognised the Trokar Flippin, maybe an Atomic Seeker or two, plenty of Nitros. Maybe a Mustad Darter?

Here are some interesting jigheads i've bought from overseas. I'm keen to see if the coloured heads, and in particular the bold eye, adds an x-factor. 

Pic 1: the first two are TT Lures 'Big Eyez' which use Mustad hooks - the first one is pink (but looks red in the pic), second one is black on the 'back', silver on the side; and the eyes on both are lumo. 

The second two are ZMan Redfish Eye jigheads from the US- use Mustad Ultrapoint hooks. The white eye is lumo. So far, i've caught some really nice fish on the chartreuse eye. Not easy to get the body on the hook, but once on they don't come off. They do a Trout Eye too, on a smaller hook which look fantastic with a small minnow or paddle tail in work ups. Got a skipjack one up north about this time last year. 

Haven't had a chance to try the TT lures yet, just arrived 10 days ago!!

Pic 2 is a TT Lures 'Demonz', which comes on a lighter gauge Gamakatsu hook. Keen to try with a Bruised Banana or Houdini. 

The TT Lures jigheads have the headlock design specifically to stop the stretchy Z Mans from slipping. I've been impressed with their plain jigheads, so thought i'd try the coloured/eyed ones.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 2 minutes ago at 7:05pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fish most methods around Whangaparaoa depending on the wind and depth. I find drop and drag works well on the sand along the front of Orewa and down the southern side of the peninsula on the worm beds with both curly tails and paddle tails And I even had pretty good success with paddle tails out at the 40 metre mark with the big cyclops style heads.

No matter what style you like the first thing I make sure of is my bait on the bottom.

Shads work good for cast forward but curly tails work fine to. Z Man for me New Penny Bursied banana and Nuked chicken in early spring I carry other colours depending on the time of the year. I do like the mustard darter heads, lightbulbs split the curly tails and are really only good for drop and drag IMO.

Sometimes I like to fish a stiffer rod if l need to work the bait a lot and I use a 8 footer for cast ahead, I like big long casts along the front of the peninsula in the tiri channel just off the weed on the sand at low tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 36 minutes ago at 8:31pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

2: zman 5" electric chicken paddle-tail

I've always wondered why Electric Chicken is seldom mentioned as a killer colour, given the combo of that limey-green and pink - and its high UV reactivity. I haven't really given it a good go, but have a packet in my collection.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 27 minutes ago at 8:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

[QUOTE=The Tamure Kid]

I guess there's a couple of other things you can do with a softie, I would add trolling for the sake of completeness. 

Forgot to mention, the afternoon before lockdown a guy we had around to our place to unblock a drain (thank GOD we got it done!) is a huge fisherman, and he showed me pics of two very nice kingies he got out near the Noises two weeks ago trolling 7" Z Man Nuked Chicken shads through bait bust ups. They still had the lures hanging out of their mouth in the pics. 
He said the top water guys were coming up empty...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MightyBoosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 24 minutes ago at 8:43pm
MightyBoosh View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some more random thoughts.

1. I gave unweighted softies a good go for kingies (Hogy) and snapper (big Gulp). Unfortunately, casting distance was rubbish and in the case of snapper fishing, I just couldn't tell where the lure was in the water column which was problematic.

2. Check this guy out. A real thinking angler. He's recently moved to Florida, but was based in New York state. I've done a lot of fishing over there. Different fish species to NZ, but a similar environment. His standard soft baiting approach is very different to ours, but catches a lot of fish. I was tempted to try the bucktail/Gulp combination and it worked very well for snapper fished vertically.

3. How have people got on with other patterns that we haven't discussed i.e. shrimp? I
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 59 minutes ago at 9:08pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Some more random thoughts.

3. How have people got on with other patterns that we haven't discussed i.e. shrimp? I

See Muppet's post above, with his 'seldom use' box. Z Man Shrimp, and some Chasebaits squid - which look fantastic. you'd think they would go off around the rocky coast when squid are on the menu.
But I saw in a review of the Chasebaits that they are very fragile - and that is never a good quality when snapper are involved!

i believe JW, now a charter skipper, did quite well on the Z Man shrimps with opaque body and chartreuse tail, especially first thing.

Below is an Almost Alive Lures softbait that I had big hopes for - got a couple of snapper in a harbour up north as soon as I put one on dragging and when we pulled the pin it had teeth marks all over it and hadn't come apart, but for some reason haven't given it a good try around Auckland.
My purpose for buying a couple in an order of various stuff from the US was actually to cast one from the shore for flats kingies in Tauranga when on holiday at Waihi Beach. And they do look amazing on a jighead, bouncing right side up and disturbing the mud, with a pale belly flashing. No kingies around that day, though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MightyBoosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 53 minutes ago at 12:14am
MightyBoosh View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes lures look good to us, but not the fish, and the other way around of course!
Page  <1 234