Lockdown list: your top 3 jigs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockdown list: your top 3 jigs
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:38am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can't left the soft bait anglers have all the fun!* 

What are your top 3 jigs?

*Just messing around! I know most of us use both techniques.

- Kaveman Micro Ridgeback Orange Lumo (30g)
- Edge Free Fall Jigs Orange Tiger (60g)
- Kaveman Jedai Orange (80g)

In no particular order, it very much depends on the depth of the water and mood of the fish. I have all of those lures in different sizes, but since it is a top 3 list, those are my choices. I catch 99% of my fish with these lures.

The Micro Ridgebacks are dynamite in water to 20 metres. I mainly use them in summer when the fish come in shallow over sand. Cast and work them like a soft bait. 

The Edge jigs are good in deeper water where the fish are actively chasing bait. I fish them vertically. The Jedai jigs come out when the fish are lazier or not really on the bite. Also fished vertically with a very slow retrieve. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:03am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok

1. Smith CB Nagamasa
2. Zest hardy long
3. Hot’s drift tune (work well on tuna and the like)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:00am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1. Shimano Baku Baku Kabura Black, 120g
2. Some weird $10 300g cuttlefish-style jig that has somehow survived the Wellington Razor Gang for over a year
3. Zest Curved Slider silver 300g
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:59am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

1. deepliner spy N
2. Deepliner CX
3. anything else except a kabura or inchiku!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:57pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have probably used every type of jig that has been produced for the last 10-15 years
My personal favourites are micro jigs, slow pitch and inchikus. Kabura sliders are my least favourite but they do work well.
Lumo stripes do work awesome BUT some days they are next to hopeless so pays to have both with lumo and without. Could save a skunking
1. Any micro jig model in Red Lumo colour( this is my standout colour for our area) Favourite model at present is micro Hornet(wouldnt leave shore without a few)
2. Any slow pitch jig that has lots of flutter, especially in Orange colour
3. Inchiku in Orange or Blue
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 11:30am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Worth mentioning I always keep a few Kaveman Whippets in Black, Blue or Silver Lumo handy... if we come across any birds on the way out I just flip one over the side and it's instant fresh Kahawai for bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 12:46pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't use kaburas very much because I'm constantly clipping lures on/off and they don't lend themselves to this. There are workarounds, but you end up fishing the lure in a way that was not intended. I also find that they catch smaller fish for some reason.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I don't use kaburas very much because I'm constantly clipping lures on/off and they don't lend themselves to this. There are workarounds, but you end up fishing the lure in a way that was not intended. I also find that they catch smaller fish for some reason.  

I've been rigging mine recently in a manner that allows clipping them on and off; I note that some Kaburas come with a short length of kevlar through the head (Catch springs to mind)... both of these ways of rigging do not allow the head to slide up the mainline. I guess my question here is.... does it actually need to? I don't think I've ever had a bite on the drop with Kabura other than in a school of actively feeding Kahawai - when I'm actually fishing it, the head is hard up on the skirt arrangement anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't know the answer to that Rozboon. I agree though, on the retrieve, the weight will be up against the assist hooks. 

A nice marketing video, this is discussed at 4:20.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:09pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kaveman's red lumo hornet is must for me caught my pb snapper with it
Random color kabura
Random color inchiku
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:22am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't know the answer to that Rozboon. I agree though, on the retrieve, the weight will be up against the assist hooks. 

A nice marketing video, this is discussed at 4:20.

See this just compounds it for me... he's like "ahh yes the slider slides and that's how the magic happens".

Something about deploying the "fly" (skirt etc) deep? I suspect the fish are biting at the head as much as the skirt itself. 

A reasonable test would be to deploy some of those Black Magic Snapper Snacks, which are basically a Kabura skirt without the head made into a ledger rig, unbaited, and see if they catch much?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:36am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe the yama****a guys filmed some experiments with snapper and kaburas. They almost always hit the head. Kaburas are like the modern ledger rig for me, good if you want to get a feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:52am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

I've been rigging mine recently in a manner that allows clipping them on and off; I note that some Kaburas come with a short length of kevlar through the head (Catch springs to mind)... both of these ways of rigging do not allow the head to slide up the mainline. I guess my question here is.... does it actually need to? I don't think I've ever had a bite on the drop with Kabura other than in a school of actively feeding Kahawai - when I'm actually fishing it, the head is hard up on the skirt arrangement anyway.

I was the first to bring kaburas into NZ about 2 years before OA, my first model was very similar to Catch's present one. Short length of assist cord with head that could only slideup to the solid ring which you tied leader too.
Some of my original clients, liked this model better.
Sliding head brings its own problems, namely scuffing of leader if no insert (OA) and any friction/ rubbing on the braid if head passes over the braid to leader knot.
Braid does not like abrasion and is a lot more expensive than leader so pays to keep an eye on your bottom 3-4m of braid. Kaburas arent cheap unless you buy mine.  lol
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve tied a long loop on the end of the trace using a spiders hitch, then treaded that through the head then looped around the ring at the top of the assist cord. Haven’t had any problems and means you can change the kabura quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice, I did experiment with loops at one stage. Not to use with kaburas, but as an alternative to quick change clips for softies. A clip on a softie just doesn't look right to me, I'm sure the fish don't care, but it's not about the fish! Unfortunately, none of the loop knots I tried were able to beat the uni knot (or my version of it) for strength. I didn't try the spider hitch, so will give it a go Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also interesting to see on this thread that some people are using long rods 8.5 foot. What’s length rods are most guys using.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For micros, just a 7' soft bait rod. For vertical styles, around 6'6". I find longer rods a bit of a pain in the arse in terms of transport, storage etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:17am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Also interesting to see on this thread that some people are using long rods 8.5 foot. What’s length rods are most guys using.

For micros and softbaits , i use a 8'2" rod that i developed, wicked for casting and 2 piece so good for transporting
Takes a bit of getting used to if fishing solo when netting fish but would go back to a short rod now
Fishing inchikus and sliders, we have a 6'6" model
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks when we’re allowed out fishing I’m going to order some of your jigs and give them a try, I’ve really only fished SB and a bit of Slow jig / karuba. Silly question do you have a preference for rigging them by the head or tail. I thought obviously by the head for casting by what about when fishing them straight under the boat, tail might be better.

What’s a good jig for around Whangaparaoa 20 30 metres and the tiri channel