Lockdown landbased reports

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockdown landbased reports
    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 5:58pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Managed to wet a line at my local today. Loved every minute of it. Kids got some playtime, the Mrs got some sun and read a book and more importantly we all enjoyed some time away from the house.

I had two kahawai hook ups. Both jumped in the surf and both threw the hooks which sucked. Still a lot of fun and promise of more to come.

Let's see your reports.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:39am
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice...havnt been to hamiltons gap in a long time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 5:52pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grabbed a couple of hours at Whangarei harbour. A few bites and one undersized snapper but damn it was great to enjoy the wee fish mission
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 7:34pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another harbour hunt for us today. I was confident about everything, but not a single bite. Hard times!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:34pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No land based fishing in Auckland at the mo with this crap weather around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MB maybe all this fresh water is having an effect ? 

Yes lots of waterfront properties in Auckland at the mo 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 11:15pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Glad to see others out there doing it. Agree the weather has been crap. Some easterlies coming though so west coast should be nicer than it has been. I'll hopefully remember my sand sinkers next time. Rookie mistake leaving them behind on Sunday.

What's your favourite surf trace. Sinker top or bottom one hook or two. I had a couple old set ups. But lost both fish so figure I need to change out something.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:22am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

MB maybe all this fresh water is having an effect ?

Sounds reasonable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

What's your favourite surf trace. Sinker top or bottom one hook or two. I had a couple old set ups. But lost both fish so figure I need to change out something.

I like a single hook pully rig with breakout sinker. Unfortunately, the fish don't agree, they prefer a running rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 7:50am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I start with a two hook dropper style as if lots of pickers , feels like I have a better chance. But if long wait and bigger bites the single hook clip in my go to. Get further distance too. Two rods with each set up is my ideal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 8:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No land based fishing in Auckland at the mo with this crap weather around.

Depends where one is. Days have been fine, a little breeze.
 The guys off the west coat beaches have been nailing it, a 18lber landed along with 1/2 doz other big snaps an KY.
And seems to be a common theme from everyone.

As to flooding lots rain.. only got extra 800L in the tank here ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 9:08am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

haha Steps that’s how I see rain, as litres in my tank. Replaced the water in the spa at just the right time. On the down side two rows of carrot seed have washed away. I maybe harvesting carrots at the bottom of the garden this year….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 9:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have had enough consistent rain on and off that works well with the gardens... Planted out the dawf butter/ top crop beans last week, should have been up yesterday or today.. maybe soil just a little to cold yet.
 When we brought the place, got a little digger in re shaped the section to how was original shaped when house was built.. as per site plans... In real heavy down pours some gardens went under water , and would get into mms of going under the shed door...and we brought on the top of a hill.
Brought on tops of hills, solid ground for .. well since 70s when 'global warming' was becoming an issue.

Ever noticed, most, over 3/4 of rain happens at night?
Which makes good days for fishing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:31am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my dwarf green beans are up, slopped bed facing north. Spuds up too. Broadbeans are at 20cm already. But today’s cold snap plus days of rain will have put the brakes on. Globe artichoke seedlings keep getting re buried with bark mulch with flooding water. Should have waited till bigger before transplanting. Pooling water on a hill would suggest heavy clays not far under topsoil. I have same issue and on a hill. Going to let plants help. Sunflower, corn, daikon all great at penetrating soil with roots which helps water, nutrients get down an break up soils…we’ll that the plan anyway. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My issue is great deep volanic soil and excellent drainage ..which means nuitants wash thru quicker.. soln heaps of compost to hold and continuous fertilizers as plant out.
 I bit shallow, with clay.. have done this at several homes over the yrs.. Dig over bring the clay up , then add heap compost, gypsum,turn over with a fork.. clay is where tap root plant bring minerals to the surface then they die leaving them there...
 lay the border with railway sleepers to take up the bit of extra depth, and the depth that happens over the yrs as the garden gets compost etc added to..
 Once the 1st lot organic (compost is in ) I just turn over a patch , throw a layer about 1 to 2" deep on the patch then plant into that..and a handfull of fertilizer around the plants.
 Going to smaller garden now.. family left home.. Im now planting on groups rather than rows.. get far more produce per area.. and is easier to.
Tomatoes planted out couple weeks ago, slow but ok.  broad bean near waist height,  last winter cali, broccoli are coming ready to cut, beet root spinage doing well.
 I dont do carrots, peas, sweetcorn anymore, as cheap to buy, and (espec carrots) take a long time to mature using lot of room that can be be more productive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:17pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some good tips there. I do the no dig and lasagna styles of vege production. No wood edging unless untreated, also this reduces slugs. I dont dig and hardly weed. Maybe a couple pulled every month. Mulch is everything. I never fertilise in the traditional sense. I have consumed enough Petrolium products without adding it to my food. So organic is the go. The deep rooters break the clay and the next crop grows down the same holes and access nutrients and encourages deep rooting great for dry periods. 

I have added a small lasagna garden on top of a area where a shed was and it’s a concrete slab. It’s cropping well mainly shallow crops at the mo as my green, manure, carbon layers build up. Radishes, lettuces and the like, the main garden is growing size wise currently approx 20x20metres currently with corn pumpkins watermelons etc to yet be transferred from seed trays.

This years excitement is planting my first asparagus plants always thought they take too long  (3 years for good cropping) which had put me off. Green and red varieties asparagus,also red popcorn heirloom I’ve never tried before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 5:50pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got the space use it... previous veggie gardens , when all the children at home.. split into 5 sections each around 7/8 m wide and total around .. total length about 40m
 If have the space, chicken run .. 4 brown shavers.. start with 5. Floor get to know a wood turner... then eventually that goes in the compost to break down couple times a yr.
Had an asparagus plot.. end up being rather a limit novetry rather than practical.

This actually a "Lockdown landbased report" ?
 We are in lockdown, gardens are land based.. not growing kelp..
yeah it is Cool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:14am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i have a 2x1.5 aspargus bed been in for 5 years ,picking every 2nd day.its worth the wait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 6:01am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

i have a 2x1.5 aspargus bed been in for 5 years ,picking every 2nd day.its worth the wait.
Dad planted a asparagus bed 1yr ,yep heads popped up and next minute gone.The bloody cat was biting of the heads.Who would of thought cats like asparagus??
Page  123 4>