Light tackle Think Tank

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by dirtyharry dirtyharry wrote:

And if Mooch gives foot rubs in the front cabin then where was mine?

Who said anything about feet?LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:43pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 4kg outfit is a an overhead, ducro 10 which casts nicely and is set up mainly for inchicu fishing with braid.  Have done snapper to line weight on it so far and can't wait to tackle a legal kingi or a skippy, very nice drag and plenty of capacity for such a small reel.  The rod is a T-curve revolution, not too sure about this longterm so any suggestions are appreciated.

DON'T LAUGH, my 3kg setup is a FX2500 and a Eclipse, $60 from kmart, I've got two of these reels after breaking one rod, one with 3kg stren braid and one with 3kg maxima mono.  I've caught Snapper to 8lbs and an 8lb porae on it and a few rats too. I believe Moocha got a bit moist on a rat kingi with it during the Nats, ****e drags just take more finesse Wink  I said DON'T LAUGH, I will be upgrading as funds allow and advice flows in from this thread.

Save yer Money mate, you already know that rods don't have to be flash. Upgrade yer reel by all means. I've done full circle and for light tackle am just as happy to use almost any rod that looks like it will do the job. When fishing light nylon you need a rod with a bit of give.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 11:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I kind of disagree  BFB, I once bought a Shimano FX2500 ($35 dollar reel?) on a Jarvis Walker 4-6kg spin rod that was in the bargain bin at KMart, it had a price tag of $10.01 but it had no tip section for the rod. Also in the bargain bin was a tip section for the very same rod for the huge price of .... $10.01 so I got a nice little set for $20.02

I loaded that sucker up with 1kg mono and fished with that outfit for three years, my best fish going 2.6kg (kahawai). While it did the job, the extreme angle of the line through the guides no doubt added a lot to the wear and tear of the line. While it could manage one fish of that size no problem a 4kg kahawai would probably not have gone for a drive in my car. It would have busted the line I'm sure.

A well built rod would probably have been much better suited to it. My best fish on that reel by the way was an eagle ray of maybe 10kg and the reel handled it no problem although it was loaded with 3kg mono at the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 11:12am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sappercatcha - I also have a partner and stepdaughter who fish so yes there are a lot of rods and reels but to a certain extent by having various spools for the spinning reels with different line weights you can fish a number of line classes with the same outfit, for example my Okuma X Factor soft bait rod and okuma VS40A reel combo I would quite happily fish 2,3,4 and 6 kg mono line as well as use it as a softbait outfit, with the same outfit.

Fishing Addiction - most soft baiting reels now come with a spare spool, also if you go into a tackle shop they often have a spare spool for that reel lying around or just ask on here if anybody has a spare one. I use normal 1/3 drags, but find most rods are overated by about 1 line class, so a 4-6 kg rod I feel is more like a 3-4 kg, I like stiffer rods where you can put some hurt on if you need to, especially if you have a fair bit of string out you want a rod with some guts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 11:45am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

15 Kg isn't really light tackle for stripies - had 12 on my Tica 30TWs and seen to land as quickly as 24.
We lost one on 10 kg when it jumped on mainline - thought we had it.
Also had an est 80 kg mako take a skippy lure on 6 lb Fireline braid / Tica lever drag SST - just took my time.
Weather can be the deciding factor when to use light tackle.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 5:40pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

12 mono roy or braid, if 15 was not really light as you describe many people would be using it specially at comp time for the points funny not alot do and yes 15 may not be light to you but you fish on a twin screw charter vessel bit different from Joe blow who is a weekend warrior.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 6:28pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DON'T LAUGH, my 3kg setup is a FX2500 and a Eclipse, $60 from kmart, . I believe Moocha got a bit moist on a rat kingi with it during the Nats, ****e drags just take more finesse Wink

yes mate I had a ball and a box of tissues was required.

well you were in the front cabin and no such behavior occurred as you well know... there is a rumored tea bagging which occurred else where on the boat  which I was neither the victim or perpetrator but details are slim although word is there may be a photo of some description ?

Am thinking 4, 8kg and a 10kg set next year what say you savage WinkLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 7:00pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice to see things moving on a bit in NZ. Recall being shot down in flames a little while ago for suggesting 37kg is way too heavy for the average fish you guys get and took all of the angler and boat skill out of the equation.

We fish a lot of 8kg, proven gear is Stren 8kg, Tiagra 16s, Tcurve 10kg rods. Fish in the 70 - 110kg range, mainly on skip baits, switchbaiting or lives.

Skulldragging on 24 and 37 is boring as bat****. Bring some skill back into the game.

Do you guys have line class categories for tag as well as capture ?

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pashy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 7:03pm
pashy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

me and couple mates do a sprat rod challenge at easter. Head to warehouse buy a sprat rod under $20 then go fishing. Last year we hit the bricks and got 12 snapper between 30-45cm was classic as! also hooked and landed a rat kingy around 55cm funny as off the bricks with a few beers and not a lot of water! but normally fish 8kg max for anything really but do have kingy rod onboard...
dad reakons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, and the rest is just good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 8:36pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by igfafly igfafly wrote:

Skulldragging on 24 and 37 is boring as bat****. Bring some skill back into the game.

Steve

caught a lot of marlin and no matter what line I have used I have yet to find a fish boring what I did find boring was watching a show where they were catching marlin both black and striped on spinning reels calling it light tackle sport fishing and yes it was sport fishing but then lifting the caught fish from the water to hold for a photo and being able to hold them up with one hand, never really say the skill in that.

no we dont have line class for tagged only weighed, was a reason I pulled all the 15k gear and went back to 37, same points same funWink and a healthy release.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 9:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I kind of disagree  BFB, I once bought a Shimano FX2500 ($35 dollar reel?) on a Jarvis Walker 4-6kg spin rod that was in the bargain bin at KMart, it had a price tag of $10.01 but it had no tip section for the rod. Also in the bargain bin was a tip section for the very same rod for the huge price of .... $10.01 so I got a nice little set for $20.02

I loaded that sucker up with 1kg mono and fished with that outfit for three years, my best fish going 2.6kg (kahawai). While it did the job, the extreme angle of the line through the guides no doubt added a lot to the wear and tear of the line. While it could manage one fish of that size no problem a 4kg kahawai would probably not have gone for a drive in my car. It would have busted the line I'm sure.

A well built rod would probably have been much better suited to it. My best fish on that reel by the way was an eagle ray of maybe 10kg and the reel handled it no problem although it was loaded with 3kg mono at the time.

No worries Smudge, we're not actually disagreeing mate. The point I was trying to make, albeit not very clearly,  is that there are alot of pretty decent rods around at the moment at really great prices. The cheapy he has at the moment may not actually be that bad. HOWEVER, their actions vary alot and you still need to shop around. Buying a more expensive rod doesn't necessarily get you a better rod when it comes to light tackle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 9:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by igfafly igfafly wrote:

Nice to see things moving on a bit in NZ. Recall being shot down in flames a little while ago for suggesting 37kg is way too heavy for the average fish you guys get and took all of the angler and boat skill out of the equation.

We fish a lot of 8kg, proven gear is Stren 8kg, Tiagra 16s, Tcurve 10kg rods. Fish in the 70 - 110kg range, mainly on skip baits, switchbaiting or lives.

Steve
Agreed mate, Have caught a few Stripies on 37kg meself and it's been pretty much a lett 'em run and wind 'em in sort of deal. Have to say the Stripies I've caught drifting livies at the kings on 37 made me work a bit harder. I think most guys have switched to 37 these days as a precaution against a Blue getting involved. It seems to me that a lot of comps these days don't do the points thing based on line weight. Major prizes go to heaviest or tagged fish so people are just fishing 37 and being done with it.

Although I haven't caught a Marlin on 15 myself, I've never really regarded 15kg as light for them either. 10Kg or less is more what I would have though was light a tackle.

Doesn't really matter though chalenging yourself to fish and actually land fish on lighter and lighter tackle is what's all about. If you normally fish 37kg, then catching your next on 24 is light tackle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 7:01am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

12 mono roy or braid, if 15 was not really light as you describe many people would be using it specially at comp time for the points funny not alot do and yes 15 may not be light to you but you fish on a twin screw charter vessel bit different from Joe blow who is a weekend warrior.
15 kg mono, Steve. I also have another Tica 30TWS with braid. 
Had 2 on 15 kg (TLD25) on a 15 ft tinnie. Actually a trailer boat can chase down a fish pretty well.
We got 2 on 15 kg last trip and wished I'd taken my 10 kg outfit. (6 of the 10 were on braid)
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:48pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just as easy to run up the line as it is to back down on the fish BA. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:29pm
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have done a little bit of light tackle stuff, and still do most of my fishing on 3kg gear, my daily rod and reel combo is a saltiga15 with a carbontex drag washer and a Kojak Custom 3kg acid wrap rod.
For 1 kg I use a Daiwa spinning reel in 1000 size that daiwa imported for me and the rod is a Kojak custom built on a Zero wieght fly blank.
For 2 kilo I use a Daiwa Branzino on a Kojak custom rod and for overhead a shimano tyrnos 8 on a fully rollered Kojak custom rod.
I have spin and overhead up to 6 kg ,
For marlin I use Penn 16VSX reels on Kojak custom rods built on Jigstar blanks (fully rollered with aftco lights.We troll with a set of 5 of these, and they hook up real good.

I agree 15kg is not really light tackle, but people have to start somewhere, I am happy to offer any advice to people on light tackle fishing and the gear used to do it, you may lose the odd fish (less than you think), but its really rewarding and good fun.
Great to see some interest in this side of the sport
Peter Pakula loves light tackle marlin fishing and has been a big help to me in the past.
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:24pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How do you find that over head 2 Kg set up Panga ? 

Have you made any drag of modifications to the reel or is it just stock ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote too much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:21pm
too much View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I DO ALOT WITH 3 KG LINE ..GOOD FUN ..9.8 KG ALBICORE BEST FISH TO DATE ON THE OUT FIT ..WANT TO TO TRY FOR MAKO ONE DAY  A BIT OF FUN..CALCUTTA 400 REEL AND KILWELL 2 TO 4 KG ROD 
GO HARD STAND TALL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:27am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

My 1st thoughts with light Tackle would be to upgrade El Donna to this ! !

I now see where JB is coming from ! ! lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:15am
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have not found that going light means fish are released to die - most of our stripeys on 8 are done within 45 minutes to an hour - and that includes a day of 5 off Port Stephens fishing with Peter when he got his Australian record of 110 or 111kg on 8 in a double hookup....none of the 5 took more than an hour. Releases swam away healthy and kicking strongly.
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Panga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:24am
Panga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

How do you find that over head 2 Kg set up Panga ? 

Have you made any drag of modifications to the reel or is it just stock ?

Alwyn (Big Als rod and reel repairs) sets up all my reels, he made some modifications to the tyrnos drag system to maximise it for the required line class, the fully rollered rod is hard to beat for light tackle fishing, although you can get away with SiC guides(which I use on quite a few rods.
New line every season is important as 1-3kg line deteriorates quickly.
I ONLY FISH HANDMADE KOJAK CUSTOM RODS.
Page  <12345>