Light stickbait rod wanted

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light stickbait rod wanted
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:04pm
Mono View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After a rod to suit 5000 size reel with pe2/3 braid. The longer the better, pe 2/4,anyone got something to move on, really like coltsniper but $500rrp is out of my price range, have looked at importing same rod landed in nz for $260 any one else done simular?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:23pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did almost exactly that, with a 9'6" Major Craft Crostage shore jigging rod from Japan - to use with 30lb braid and a 5000/6000 reel. For casting light poppers etc for smaller harbour/estuary kingies. It's a nice rod with Fuji K guides etc. Made in China, but most of the mainstream stuff is, these days.

The import experience was excellent. Rod was packaged expertly in a tube and arrived quickly.

As long as the total is less than NZ$400 you won't get pinged for GST and other import costs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:38pm
Mono View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that, I've never imported before preferring to support locally but price difference is nearly half, I know high end casting rods aren't common in nz but surely they could compete.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check out the daiwa lateo 1100mh. I imported one from Oz a while back. Really nice rod, until I high sticked it while unhooking a snapper....
Check out motackle, they have 15% off every now and then, and you also get 10% off if you’re buying from Oz.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:11pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mono Mono wrote:

Thanks for that, I've never imported before preferring to support locally but price difference is nearly half, I know high end casting rods aren't common in nz but surely they could compete.

Which site are you looking at for the coltsniper? On plat the coltsniper is a pretty similar price to nz when you take shipping and potential GST into account... but there is a much cheaper model, the ‘BB coltsniper’ on plat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:32pm
Mono View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nz Asian portal & Rakuten and yes possibly bb model but info was confusing showing s1000h but saying bb, perhaps I was seeing what I wanted to see haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:50pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM sent
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:52pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Originally posted by Mono Mono wrote:

Which site are you looking at for the coltsniper? On plat the coltsniper is a pretty similar price to nz when you take shipping and potential GST into account... but there is a much cheaper model, the ‘BB coltsniper’ on plat...

Free rod shipping from PLAT on most rods now.
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tourleymunro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:45am
tourleymunro View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate,

I've got a Dakau Longtail
11 foot
Pe3-4
Fuji titanium guides
X flock grips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:27am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have a model that we use for shore casting, 9' long Japanese toray carbon with nano composites, all fuji K guides and reelseat, 2 piece mid join in a neoprene travel bag brand new for $279 plus courier $10
pe1-3, lure 20-70g, max drag 11kg

Way better rod than some of the ones available in shops
I get them built for my KavemanTackle company
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:30am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I did almost exactly that, with a 9'6" Major Craft Crostage shore jigging rod from Japan - to use with 30lb braid and a 5000/6000 reel. For casting light poppers etc for smaller harbour/estuary kingies. It's a nice rod with Fuji K guides etc. Made in China, but most of the mainstream stuff is, these days.

The import experience was excellent. Rod was packaged expertly in a tube and arrived quickly.

As long as the total is less than NZ$400 you won't get pinged for GST and other import costs.

All imports now get charged 15% gst, it is added on at all major storesWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 11:03am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Revisiting an older topic:

Have just sourced a 6000 size Shimano reel that I want to become a back up Topwater set for inner Hauraki Gulf work - casting at shipping buoys etc. Will be using off my 15' tinny so can't be longer than 8'. Thinking in the PE2-4 range as don't want a heavy broomstick. Budget is in the $200-250 range.

Suggestions welcomed.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate, hope all's well. I hope all of this is over in time to bump into you somewhere out by the islands in spring!!

That reel sounds perfect. I have a Shimano Biomaster in that size and it's a good one for 30lb braid. If you haven't got braid already, have a look at the Tasline Elite White that Kaveman has on his site. Very nice NZ-made and highly regarded by topwater guys overseas. He's got it at at great price.

I did a lot of looking for rods of the weight you're after, in a similar budget. I ended up getting a Samaki Vanquish 25-40lb rated rod from Australia which has turned out to be a very nice rod, but locally I reckon it'd be hard to go past the Penn Ocean Assassin in that size/weight range. It's 7'4" and certainly got nice guides and reel seat. Ideal for a smallish boat like ours. I reckon it'd go nicely with a 2oz jighead and a 10" Z Man Heroz, as well as lighter hard body lures. Smart Marine has it in stock. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 7:33pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I reckon it'd be hard to go past the Penn Ocean Assassin in that size/weight range. It's 7'4" and certainly got nice guides and reel seat. Ideal for a smallish boat like ours. I reckon it'd go nicely with a 2oz jighead and a 10" Z Man Heroz, as well as lighter hard body lures. Smart Marine has it in stock. 

Agree!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have a shimano backbone elite 50 to 80lbs
Rod hardly used.
Will let go for $150 if u keen.
Located in manurewa 02108256334