LegaSea

Page  <12345 93>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:32pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Bazza

Go to http://www.legasea.co.nz/contribute/index.php if you want to use a credit card
or ring Trish at a reasonable hour on 09 8186205  if you want to make other arrangements.

Sticky sounds good to me.  There is a bit going on this time of year and one of the Legasea Stars is shooting off soon to Norway.  Thanks Kaye for you vision and drive.

JohnH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

That was easy ..... all done.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:51pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Bazza

Well last week was strange. 

Looks like snapper stocks in the BOP are in trouble, while they may have started to increase, it still may rock the boat later this year. 

A major re-write of the tarakihi report, but without a good handle on how abundance has changed and a better idea of where the older fish go, management on the east coast of the North and South Is has stalled. 

The number and size of trevally surface schools has been declining for many years.  The investigation of available data has finally been accepted but there will be no review of trevally stocks this year. 

However, the challenges that we may face later this year may surprise.

Support   www.LegaSea.co.nz   and become part of the solution.

John H

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:38pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was shocked and saddened to see the Item on TV3 showing a live basking shark no the trawl deck of the Oyang 77. They had ripped the tail right off trying to winch it back over the side.
The high grading and dumping of quota species I suspected happens quite a bit BUT 40 or 50 tonnes a week! from one vessel. 

They have to put 2 NZ observers on every Foreign boat fishing in our waters and charge teh companies for the service.  The Quota System has disconnected quota ownership from the people who catch the fish. Rent seeking behaviour from quota owners that want the least cost catching method.
And it is not just deep water. Already high powered (NZ) trawlers are coming further inshore and are out competing local commercial fishers for tarakihi, snapper and gurnard. Sweeping huge areas from East cape to Wellington, sieving it through a 4" diamond mesh codend and legally dumping all the undersized fish that won't squeeze thru.  World Leading Fisheries Management System  my ass.

Who's going to blow the wHistle on them.  The Ministry for Primary Industries ?  The fishing companies  ?  Maori who lease most of their quota?? Don't think so.  All have a huge stake in promoting the virtues of quota system.

I guess its up to You and Me and www.LegaSea.co.nz   
We do need your support.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:56am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

give it back to NZ to do is all i can say, we need the jobs, its time this thing was settled once and for all...
it is total bulls--t that our fish/our boats/our workers are locked out of this mega rip off by the owners of this quota...
give it back to NZers to look after, it bloody belongs to us anyway...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tugster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 2:56pm
Tugster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just a heads up, there's going to be follow up article on tonight's 3News to the piece they ran last night about selective fish dumping, here's the online article to the first story:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Selective-fish-dumping-costing-millions---experts/tabid/1160/articleID/254120/Default.aspx

They've used some of the footage we shot for the ITM Fishing Show of Snapper being dumped in the Hauraki Gulf last Spring, it's enough to make the blood boil what some of these mongrels are getting away with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote graham 99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:39pm
graham 99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

they should take the quotas back and sell them to owner operator fishing boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:52pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think they could lose their quota if convicted of a major offence. But now fishers don't have to buy or lease quota, they buy a one off annual catch entitlement (ACE).
The whole premise behind the Quota System was that if you owned the catching right for now and in the future, then you would have an incentive to look after the resource.  Because if you stuffed the fishery  you would only devalue the catching right. 
It all falls down though if you have chartered boats with low wage crews with no real understanding of the rules or why they are there.  Even the NZ fishing corporates make decisions on short term thinking and pressure to grow profit for shareholders.

There needs to checks and balances in the system.  In my veiw free market trading of all fishing rights will not give the best management outcomes, just greater control to the major players.
Sooner than you think we will need a strong voice for the non-commercial fishing public.

John H
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:46pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just read a really funny article from Professional Skipper Mag. Cheers Keith.

Amatuer Fishing into the Quota Management System? by Lea Clough. If you have some idea of how the commercial fishers were shoe horned into quotas - don't miss it.

The LegaSea stand at thios weks Boat show is in the Hauraki Fishing Hall 1, stand 194 any day. 

Great team there to tell you what it is about.

John H
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:31pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great comments in this thread so worth kicking it back up, rather than starting again.
Thanks to all those on-board with the goal of more fish in the water for future generations.

There will be a quarterly progress report sent to LegaSea supporters soon.
We have had our resources streached a bit lately, but have enlisted some great people that have got their shoulder to the wheel Bringing Back the Bite to advocay and research.

The report card is out on snapper (plenary report 2012). Assessed as "is trying but good do a lot better. Grade D"
Our Reps have been at all the stock assessment meetings and there is still work to do on the model but more importantly we could produce more fish from SNA1 (North Cape to Runaway) if we rebuilt stocks further.

Age and growth for kingfish has been established (Ministry funded).  Stocks in coastal waters lack middle aged fish. Have they have been caught or moved offshore?  NZ Sport Fishing Council and Legasea has supported ongoing monitoring of kingfish catch in the Bay of Islands that suggests that good numbers of 7 and 8 year olds are around and staying inshore.

Report on kahawai age and growth funded by the Ministy measured the rapid return of kahawai to the Hauraki Gulf. 

Inshore Fisheries Plan has a top priority to assessing trevally stocks next year.

NZ Marine Reseach Foundation has produced a report on the decline of yellowfin tuna in NZ and possible causes from fishing in the wider Pacific.  The NZ Ministry will table a summary of this paper at the next meeting of the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission.

NZ striped marlin catch rates from the recreational fishery (Billfish Logbook Scheme) will be used for a fisheries assessment and management measures by the Commission in the SW Pacific this year.   

NZ Sport Fishing Council if helping send reps to the Australian National Recreational Fishing Conference.
Aus rec fishers are facing massive changes to their fishing access in the next year including 10% Marine Protected Areas and capped recreational harvest.  How will rec fishers respond?  Will they be able to use fishing licence fees to help fight the Govt? 
Better to support independant fighting fund like LegaSea for NZ fishers  www.LegaSea.co.nz

John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:39pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good to see this research going on,and kahawai coming back in the gulf. One of my favored fish.
How do they access snapper stocks for example in the gulf where much of the population appears to be non resident and seasonal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 9:41pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update John and good to get an overview of just how much is going on in the background to benefit every one of us that fish. Legasea is certainly worth supporting  - it's a group of people working for all of us but like anything needs funding and our backing. Good work  Handshake
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ-Kayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 10:05pm
NZ-Kayaker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting to note that there is a documented decline in middle age kingfish in our coastal waters. This supports a very rough coconscious that I had come to this season - having caught literally hundreds of juvenile (70cm) kingfish over the last 12 months I have yet to catch a single legal fish during this time, despite more than 10 days of targeted (jigging and live baiting) fishing.

Perhaps some work is needed to find out where these bigger fish have gone? 

Mob: 027 668 9904
Facebook: www.facebook.com/nzkayakfisher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 11:20pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cirrus  The new snapper assessment assumes some movement between E Northland Hauraki Gulf and BOP based on tagging data, each area is treated as sub-stocks with their own catch rates and population age structure.  It seems that there are some fish that leave the HG and some that stay.

Kingfish have been tagged and recaptured for a while. They tend to stay in prime habitat, especially the larger ones. The 70 cm fish move around a bit more and may end up on exposed headlands and offshore islands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trish9147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:09am
trish9147 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks John for the info & update

The LegaSea report is expected out in the next few weeks. 

Meantime we are getting point of sale stuff organised to go into shops and businesses that have a lot of people passing through. This stuff will look good sitting on the counter and will include a mix of LegaSea brochures, stickers, cards and TAG pads. 

If anyone can host LegaSea stuff in their high-traffic area let us know. We need to get the word out & lots of people on board supporting LegaSea. To achieve this we need profile. Call us 0800 LEGASEA.

Get in with your $20. It will be the best investment you make all year.

Go you good thing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:43am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup, good report thanks John.
Another variable in the numbers and location of north east coast kingfish and snapper (IF confirmed) might be the report of the BOP commercial boats that net jack mackeral for export being displaced (Rena) and extensively fishing the schools from Tutukaka to Pakiri. So many variables, it must be tough to be a scientist!
I was wondering if amongst the LegaSea business supporters if there was someone willing to put up a flash bit of tackle each month, or a trip somewhere warm with loads of fish, for a draw from existing and/or new members. Just an idea. I'm happy my contribution is an investment in mine and my childrens fishing future, but these days it seems a little more incentive works a charm and it would be a great way for a corprate sponsor to wear an arm band that has integrity. Unless corprate sponsorship in this form is problematic (exclusivity etc).
Keep up the good, naye, GREAT work.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

DF thanks for the suggestion, I will pass it on.

The NZ Marine Research Foundation report on Yellowfin Tuna is now on the web @

http://nzsportfishing.org.nz/index.cfm/pageid/296/ViewPage/Reports#yel

We have used sportfishing club records to show the decline in yellowfin catch and look for fisheries in the SW Pacific that expanded at about the time or fishery started down the slippery slope in the early 2000s.

Fact is that all the longine fisheries north of NZ expanded about that time.  We had a reasonable season in 2005 but nothing much since. 

I presented the draft report to the Ministry Highly Migratory Species Working Group and asked for the NZ delegation to the Commission meetings to support reductions to tuna longline effort on yellowfin, bigeye and albacore in the SW Pacific.  The WCPFC Scientific Committee meeting starts in Busan on 7 Aug.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:05am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I donated my $20 the other day and about 2hrs later got a personal call from one of the LegaSea support staff to thank me for my donation (well he thanked my answer phone but the thought was there ) I've never had that level of feedback from anything else I've donated to, nice one LegaSea
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 10:10am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Service with a smile EB
Thanks for contributing to ur fishing future.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 3:35pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John will we get a personnel reminder when the year runs out so we can refresh the donation?
Page  <12345 93>