LegaSea

Page  123 93>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LegaSea
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 1:28pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just read the weekly ITM show newsletter and in it was a bit about a new LegaSea organisation.

So what are they about?
How are they going to help recreational fishers?
How are they going to help maintain fish stocks? and our ability to fish them?

how do they differ from our current recreational fishing organisation/s?

Do you think they will be successful?

I have only had a quick read but no doubt some one on here will be far more up to date with their aims and how they may be able to help give the recreational fisherman a voice

http://www.legasea.co.nz/index.php

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 2:23pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To me it feels like a fresh approach in a smart package that should appeal to all sorts of people prepared to help promote more fish in the water and a healthy marine environment.  It’s a Kiwi solution to the perennial problem of sustainable funding to have a stronger voice in management decisions and allocation of marine space. 

It is run by an established organisation, NZ Sport Fishing which has been recognised by SPARC as a national sporting organisation, and an idea like LeaSea needs someone with a track record and clear accountabilities.  For too long the burden of funding professional help for rec organisations has fallen on the 59 fishing clubs. 

http://www.legasea.co.nz/news.php

There are plenty of projects that would make a difference

Example: Work on the next Snapper One (East Northland, Hauraki Gulf, Bay of Plenty) stock assessment model has started.  All the decisions on model inputs will be made by the Northern Inshore Working Group.  As we found with Kahawai the model results go a long way toward forming the management options available.  Fishing Industry and ToKM have their own scientists at the meetings to “advise” the Ministry of Fisheries.  I have represented NZ Sportfishing Council at these meetings for the last 12 years.  NIWA do a good job of the modelling and stay impartial but there is a hell of a lot riding on a tweak of an estimate here and there.  I’m encouraged by the approach made at the start but some extra, paid help on the technical stuff would be a great help.  Tarakihi and Trevally are next for stock assessments.

Believe me, I am not touting for more work - but more help.

John

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:51pm
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Johns right,

There are groups out there doing the work, but LegaSea is a funding tool to get dolloars behind the NZSFC's fisheries management, advocacy & education arms.

I understand its a way of being involved without having to be a member of anything.

The message is - if you want to help build on / secure our rights, put your money where your mouth is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellsfishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 8:10pm
smellsfishy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Legasea is the name of my boat, so your forum name grabbed my attention. No idea about the organisation, but the vessel is  lean mean fish hunting machine :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:07pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah there is a few people using LegaSea.  Was such a good fit for this group it was hard to go past.
You should hear more about this LegaSea soon, only launched 2 days ago, and one of these cool decals would look great on your boat.   http://www.legasea.co.nz/merchandise/index.php 
J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 11:29pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks bloody awesome these guys..

Spread the word. I'm actually thinking of doing a monthly payment of 20 bucks for a year. Seriously.

It's worth that much to me to have fish in the ocean. 240 bucks fuel one day, bugger all fish..... Or 240 bucks to these guys could be the start of a new era, where there is fish to catch, and less money spent on fuel to find them.

Could actually make you money back many times over.

Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:13am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Plow.  Great enthusiasm. Pass it on.
Also Derrick @ NZFisher. He knows better than anyone how much work is required to get real change for rec fishers and representation.
Reminds me of a quote.  These men are in the arena...

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.."

Theodore Roosevelt "Citizenship in a Republic,"

Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

www.LegaSea.co.nz 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:31am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll be ordering a t-shirt and hat when I get my credit card back in order ... quite like that design ... a NZ fishing related design without using snapper or kingfish, must be a first :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 12:18pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Legasea's credibility will build if it has clearly defined action plans focussing on clear and present issues that really currently exist. It will need to stay away from addressing issues that have yet to happen, because they will become even more hidings to nowhere. I'd like to see a specific set of Legasea's CURRENT objectives and their current projects and future planned projects along with SPECIFIC deliverable(s) for each project before I sign-up.

I've read the website, and the objectives under the vison are too vague and broad reaching to be manageble.

We need to move away from this emotive idea of fish for the future, identify what exactly needs to be done right now, and set up plans for how those issues will be tackled. If that doesn't happen then even more funds will be wasted trying to solve problems that don't currently exist. The Kahawai legal challenge is an example of that.

The Quota management system, whilst not the greatest tool in the world, has brought the Hauraki Gulf Snapper population back to what it is today. It's also proof that once a species gets to the brink it can be managed back and is arguably easier to do so because all stakeholders agree the problem exists. It came about as a solution to a clear and present issue that everybody agreed existed.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 1:59pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bigfishbob
You are right that there will need to provide specific and tracable odjectives, deliverables and summary of results for LegaSea to prove its worth.  At this stage its an bit Chicken and Egg - resources and results, which comes first?

I have helped a bit with this project and the main project team were close to burn out after the launch last week getting all the content and functionality into the Website, merchandise, displays, then the Launch.  The detailed content will be up on the website in the next few weeks. A couple of current projects I have been working on with help from the LegaSea team and NZSFC are:

The Snapper one stock assessment.  I attended the MFish Northern Inshore Technical Working meeting in Wellington on 24 January.  Experience tells us that it is really important for rec fishers to be represented at the ground floor for these models and not just accept the result at the end.  Also really helpful when writing submissions.   The question of what the target biomass for snapper one is really important and will have to be made by stakeholders and MFish  (not science working group). We will be working toward a target of 40% virgin biomass for snapper one.  My report from the meeting goes to NZ Sport Fishing Council Management Committee but the terms of reference for Working group meetings prevents these from going into general distribution.

The other area I have started on is preparing for a review of the billfish regulations.  A meeting is planned by MFish in the next couple of months to discuss the industry demand to be able to retain for sale dead striped marlin. NZ Sport Fishing Council want all marlin caught on NZ commercial vessels to be returned to the sea including fish caught outside the 200 nmile zone.  This closes a current loop hole. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob.f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:15pm
Bob.f View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got the window decal, going on the car when can.  Brilliant idea.  Glad someone else is willing to do the hard yards
Si ego cado is est non terminus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weighmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:37am
Weighmaster View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clap
now i can leave something for the next generation
my lagacy will be

my gifts to Legasea

Clap

trolling one knot faster, one degree off course, is where we should have been yesterday? or !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:04pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

$50 donated a while back from me to help the work on our behalf by the Legasea team.  Thumbs Up
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 7:46pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

I'll be ordering a t-shirt and hat when I get my credit card back in order ... quite like that design ... a NZ fishing related design without using snapper or kingfish, must be a first :)

yeah me too.. im getting ready to kit myself out.

proudly too.  Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 7:55pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brand/logo looked awesome on NZ Fishing today...awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

The question of what the target biomass for snapper one is really important and will have to be made by stakeholders and MFish  (not science working group). We will be working toward a target of 40% virgin biomass for snapper one. 

This is a really good SPECIFIC target, getting specific defines the goal and gives people something to aim for..

awesome stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tiri4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 1:16pm
tiri4 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There's been some great points made in this thread.

The need for accurate problem definition and well directed action plans. History is littered with examples of poor advocacy caused by the failure to direct action to the actual problem. However I wouldn't include the Kahawai Legal Challenge in that Category.

The problem arising from the 1994/5 Kahawai decisions was that the rights of the fishing public were unclear, and in respect of Kahawai appeared to be treated as a proportion of a depleted fishery. The Courts were asked to clarify the situation, and did so.  Today, thanks to this challenge, the public rights are well defined and understood, and on review the Minister decided to manage the Kahawai stocks at unusually high levels to benefit the public. Repeated characterization of the Kahawai Legal Challenge as a failure does nothing for the wellbeing of the fishing public, at any level, and I'm at a loss to understand the attacks.

Lifting biomass targets for other species through advocating modification to the Harvest Strategy Standard to better reflect contemporary science is another example of action directed at a defined problem. The point at which a stock is considered growth overfished is now plainly wrong.

I appreciate any and all efforts that are directed at benefitting the fishing public, and as with the Westpac Helicopter, don't wait for an audited review of efficiency an effectiveness before contributing, preferring to accept benefits will flow from the service.

LegaSea needs similar support to deliver comforting definable outcomes and relies on a generous spirit from an interested public that would like to see their grandchildren inherit a healthy, abundant, and accessible marine environment. Get aboard and help make a difference! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:05pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We have a project proposal for a Yellowfin Tuna project for the NZ Marine Research Foundation. 

Also interseted to see a new wesite for cooperation on tuna and billfish management in the SW Pacific at

John

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:11pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well I've donated.

Any of you other fullas donated anything? Just wondering if it's still just a good idea for many people or if you've actually done anything.

Do it now fullas, then hit the sack tonight knowing you've done your bit for your kids and grandkids, so they can be inspired by the thought of going fishing, just like you do.

There will be prizes for anyone who can tell me what the 7 dollars is about.  ;-)

Plow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:52pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just donated $40 , and feel that all those anglers who care about fishing in the future and are interested in helping the recreational sector get good representation and advocacy for their rights should also make a donantion.
Page  123 93>