FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koi in East Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BigBossMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koi in East Auckland
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:43am
BigBossMan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just in case anyone is interested, we have a booming crop of koi carp in East Auckland right now.

Given that these are in a stormwater drain, and are recent arrivals, they look like a deliberate introduction. We've been feeding the ducks here for years and the koi appeared a wee while back and are absolutely big enough to catch - they all seem to be 1-2 lb and are a surprisingly fast fighter on very light gear.

I took my boys with me yesterday and this is how it ended up - very pretty, but completely noxious fish:

Anyone wanting exact location, send me a message and I'll take you to the exact spot - it's about 200m from my place and there are plenty left. Just need to wait for levels to go back down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 12:54pm
spin king View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bit of bread under a float?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigBossMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:27am
Bronze
Bronze

Not even under a float - just a bit of bread squashed onto a hook and thrown in.

Here's yesterday's effort - 5 minutes is all it took.

Bigger than a legal snapper.

Given the recent overflow from that pond, I'm expecting there to be a lot more further down the system over the next few months, so will report when that happens!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 4:50pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see Koi for sale in PnS in Hamilton, now and then - also catfish.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:08pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I didn't think they were able to be sold seeing as they were a noxious species
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:33am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

I didn't think they were able to be sold seeing as they were a noxious species

Surely allowing them to be sold would be an incentive to fish for them thereby reducing the population so long as breeding them is outlawed.

Used to be a place in Nth Waikato that used to sell them frozen for bait & many reported it worked well for them but personally I found it to be useless.

As for eating them cannot imagine how the revolting smell could be overcome but many Asians seem to manage to ( maybe as a welcome change from bats ) & was told they are revered in Romania where they are mostly only served on special occasions such as weddings / birthdays etc.

Apparently Adam & Eve were the first   that did not bother to read the Apple terms & conditions !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:50am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I met an old Polish guy near Karapiro dam and he asked me where he could catch carp. He said trout were so tasteless and only good for sport fish.
They would catch them in mid-December and keep in a clear-water pond and eat them as a Christmas treat. What do we know??
Definitely sold at PnS, Hamilton along with Catfish, but not for sale that often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:37am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

I met an old Polish guy near Karapiro dam and he asked me where he could catch carp. He said trout were so tasteless and only good for sport fish.
They would catch them in mid-December and keep in a clear-water pond and eat them as a Christmas treat. What do we know??
Definitely sold at PnS, Hamilton along with Catfish, but not for sale that often.
That PnS at mill st has an awesome range of seafood ,do wonder what people do with of the fish sold though?
Sex at 58.Lucky I live at 56
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 8:39am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have eaten carp from a clear mountain lake and it tasted like ****! I believe the eastern Europeans keep them alive in a bath for a week before slaughter so they can purge themselves. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BigBossMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:12am
Bronze
Bronze

Just a quick update - still oodles of koi about, and they've got a lot bigger, as you'd expect.

Pulled a couple out this morning that were about 2 kg and I can see a 5kg one that refuses to touch a bait - might have to break out the bow for him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Use dynamite.

If your not obliterating then your not looking after nz.

Any posts supporting fishing of them is blasphemy.
It's bad enough there here, worse you want to fish them.
You should be reporting them as a pest species and destroying them.

Get with the program.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:58pm
spin king View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

pull ya head in mattoo that came across as aggressive I hope it was tounge in cheek.....
what a ridiculous post, the op knows this.... they are everywhere as soon as you take all them out of a place they are back in a week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:03pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wish we had some in Northland LOL TongueThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No tongue in cheek.
Have to blunt on this one.
It's like possums and rats etc.

Take a hard line.
Let us get our country back with provisions,

My provisions are awkward for me as I like pig and deer.

But crap food,

Terminate.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah they are a pest Mattoo but don't rain on the guys parade. We may as well catch them!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 1:54pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you fish for them, then kill them?????👍😂