Knots for braid

Page  <1 234
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote speckledknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:56pm
speckledknob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D3EB4lNcs0

Alternative to Big Angry Fish and Aussie guy's versions of FG.... kinda a reverse FG - how I learnt to do it. Tie off mainline to eye of rod and turn reel handle to get tension then way you go... a hell of a lot more half hitches than needed it seems? probably pays to watch all 3 if you can be bothered...

Interested to see what some of the more experienced guys on here think of the above variation? Has done the trick for me so far (which isn't saying much).

On the water I generally don't have the patience and use the 5 turn surgeons.... bit clunky through the guides but strong fast and easy. wouldn't want to cast big poppers or stickbaits with it for extended periods of time tho...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read thru this current thread
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/line-knot-issue_topic107355_page1.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nathchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 7:58am
nathchef View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any ideas for braid to braid? Both identical 10lb, just want to turn 2 spools of 100mtr into 1 spool of 200mtr.. double over then back to back uni?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaytheham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:58am
jaytheham View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've found the J knot to work well for braid to braid, it's the third image here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots?image=2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nathchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:32am
nathchef View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one, cheers Jay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:59am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I use Improved Albright knots joining braid to leader all the time. It's important to double the braid so it gets a proper grip on the leader (and I have found a tied double is much better than just doubling it and later trimming at the knot).

It's also important to lubricate it with lots of spit and to pull it up really tight, pushing the wrapped braid as far as you can back towards where it came form. I usually go 9 turns up and 8 turns back.

Not only has this secured many horses of snapper on 10lb braid/20 or 30lb fluoro, but we also use it on our 24kg braid/80lb leader kingfish jigging gear.

Lots of practice means I tie the knot very slim and trim it really close, so it slips through rod guides easily. The only failures I have had in the last few years have been where I've trimmed the line in the knot - but that's been maybe twice in the last 3 years.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 3:29pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nathchef nathchef wrote:

Any ideas for braid to braid? Both identical 10lb, just want to turn 2 spools of 100mtr into 1 spool of 200mtr.. double over then back to back uni?

Either that or make two doubles and cats paw maybe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:09am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

10lb braid to 10lb braid - I find a blood knot with plenty of turns works as well as anything, though admittedly it's better with the limp rather than fused braids.

Its huge advantage with these light braids is that it ties down very small, so doesn't catch up the rest of the line on eg small baitcaster spools (or line guides), so doesn't hinder casts.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tortise01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 4:48pm
Tortise01 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use the figure 8 on my line and Uni Knot on the braid.
It hasn't failed me yet.
Page  <1 234