FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kina, fulltank...fish view

Page  <1 174175176
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 6:48pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cheers guys, it was again smooth as smooth today, so much bird and general activity in zones where fishing is not supposed to be, perhaps the fish know about our cables? But with the activity so widespread, many many miles, drifting the wide open areas safely outside the red lines was a real pleasure. No noisy gannets thumping beside you, no dolphins puffing loudly, very peaceful. Good bite after high tide and then____ a few hrs later, a real lull. So a some fresh snapper filleted on the drift just out from Tiri, and a quick sprint home letting the engine drink at maximum rate for a while, just cos.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:10am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Grant,   How are you finding the IRT reel.  Have thought about getting one for a while. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 11:02am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I would like a little more time, particularly with putting the bigger ones under duress, and hopefully if they are releasing smaller ones I can get to try, but after just a few weeks my impressions are an excellent top end reel. I had a jig clang against the gold reel on the rocket launcher on a trip home the other day (pretty sure), jig paintwork ruined, reel fine - the anodising is great. The reels are slightly heavier than say a Stella for their size, but they have a heavy duty I'm going to outlast you kind of feel. Like driving a V8 muscle car rather than a turbo/supercharged 6cylinder kind of thing. Really nice looking, great sealing too. Build quality is very high. Maybe not quite as smooth/quiet as could be but perhaps that's because of the grunt/torque approach these have. Seem to be well engineered. I am checking the drag as the 300 seems a little light on maximum drag, but very consistent and smooth and I rarely use max drag on any reel. I like them a lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 7:19pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Just spooled up an IRT500 with 36lb braid, 50lb mono leader. Jig rod. Keen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:13am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A little window opened, so I peered through...hmm go wide and chase the mighty beaked one? :) Got lucky went 2-2-1. Just using a little 30w, on Acidwrap jig rod, and a Squidwing. Good times.

A second marlin must've been on Nitrous, around 700m first run, still going to the horizon but had sorted things quickly and was just starting the chase, line broke.

All good fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:53am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Stunner day yesterday in the gulf, conditions you could get used to :)

Fishingin general was slow, so a slow troll was the call.

With the change to cool morning air, things should amp up from the summer slumber very soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 3:33pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Fish on the chew scattered around the gulf this weekend, pretty cool to watch this scene unfold, lots of fish species hanging around underneath

The real deal of Autumn in the Hauraki Gulf should be underway soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:48am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A few days up at Whangaroa, man was that hard to leave, what a place.

I'll be back.

:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:56pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That full moon just passed    didn't do the general bite much good, eastside anyway, not sure about west. Looking forward to getting back out after this current blow and the moon chilling out...a marlin briefly hooked on a jig and live kingfish, some ridiculously large kingfish sounder sign (with only very wary inquiries) just a few days ago, big makos using the prop as a tooth pick - and now those tiny white terns working baitfish, local shore out from my house - surely this is a true beckoning to go fishing? :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:03am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Missed you at the boat show but the team got me into some liveys and stingaz. Must say I'm converted after only 4 snapper in the last trip and all on that cheeky assist hook! We've also been East Side and not doing too flash the last few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 8:49am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Would've been good to meet at the Boatshow, crazy good those few days, wow.
It stunned and still does, how many fish are caught on the little stinger hook on the Stingaz jigheads. I figured they were good when testing and developing, but wow, to have so many people send in pics of BIG fish just hanging off the 2nd hook, very cool. So irrespective of brands and all that Ford/Holden carry on, I do think it has a lot to do with a predator wounding, then eating, which means using a setup that has this in mind.

A tad windier today than yesterday out there! Over 40kts and building...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:19am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Out to Gt Barrier and back again for a looksie, lots of dolphins inner gulf area, and some good but fleeting kingfish action out at Barrier. Light tackle and patience, this one was on the little gear :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishingChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 12:48pm
FishingChris View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Grant, I picked up a few Catch jigs a couple of weeks ago and with the wisdom in this thread and in your reports I managed my personal best snapper this past Wednesday - 68cm! Got it just this side of the shipping lane...between Tiri and Flat Rock. First time I've been out without bait on board. It was amazing...just as you describe...dolphins and a few birds working the water and just dropped a kabura next to all of this. Man, the head shakes and runs it went on were awesome! Thank you for all of the tips in this thread :) Cheers, Chris
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:34am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Chris, how good is that, 68cm! Yeah I reckon that'd be an awesome battle, nice indeed, cheers man :) . Pity it's peaking at 36kt NE winds at the moment..but next week looks perfect for doing it again.

Here's a good kingfish from the other day, put up a great fight - apart from it's own inherent strength the hooks had mouth and side of gill plate hooked (not exactly as pictured) so he had great leverage on me, sure made me feel it! Really enjoying mixing up the tackle and approaches and either a) throwing 'logic' out the window and just trying random stuff or b) thinking logically but discard 'current knowledge'...see semi-random :) . A tad cold and blustery all over NZ today, gear preparation for the next time. Keen as to fish the winter workups in the Hauraki..the Bluefin are tempting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:55am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice king Grant. Just shows there are some nice ones in the Gulf - did you get a length measurement at all?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 12:14pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

No measurement for this one (outside the local gulf..sometimes I venture :) ) , and yes there sure are good sized kings in the gulf, caught a similar one last week out solo on a day off so to speak, no picture. Speaking of venturing I've got sailfish in mind and a much warmer clime for a time. Pretty keen to see if a cast 'n retrieve can lure one in, haven't targeted a sailfish, they look stunning. Saw one well out the back of Gt Barrier a few years ago, just basking, waved it's fin and got me hooked!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Ahha - thought that was from the home patch.  Need to get you a DB Export measure for those big ones and as a thanks for 176 pages of such a great thread - flick me a delivery address and I'll get one up to you.
Page  <1 174175176