Kaipara...when a plan comes together

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaipara...when a plan comes together
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 2:28pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really early launch on Sunday to catch top of tide and beat the ramp rush saw a slow motor down the channel in very thick mist. Came across two of these setting long lines on the edge of the channel. The only lights were little ones on the buoys themselves. Seems they are more concerned with the longlines being driven over and not themselves 🤔...oh, by the way these were kayakers, not that you could tell till you had almost driven over them.

Had a good bait and burley sesh with keepers from around 40 to 50 including a nice little trev.

When the breeze and bite slowed I started drifting the banks and little channels with softies...thanks for the tip mate😉.
U

Picked up a nice one in the high 40s and on my next pass the biggest of the day grabbed it close to the boat and went on a ripper of a run. In just 2m of water they really power away.

Another great day on the Kaipara 👍

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:00am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice 1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:44am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some good solid harbour fish there

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:58am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The "King of the Kaipara" does it again ... nice pics BTW.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks bazza, kind of you to say but I think I'm still a very long way from being the king🤔. Every time I go out there I realize how much there is to learn. I think the trick is to be adaptable and have fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I fished out there for many years I caught some very large sharks including white sharks so there’s no way I would ever think of setting a long line out of a kayak madness
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

When I saw the first guy I went over to him to see if everything was ok, took a few tries but finally got the gist that it was business as usual. Frankly I was gobsmacked that not only were they in that spot but to be there in such bad visibility was a recipe for disasterj