Kaimai Kapers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamstring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaimai Kapers
    Posted: 10 Nov 2002 at 11:41am
hamstring View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The pages are looking a bit bare in here so I thought I might post a bit of a speal on my latest trout fishing exped . My job took me down to the Kaimai mamaku area around Paeroa for the week just gone and I managed to smuggle my fly rod in .Got down to the ohinemuri for a bit of a poke around and found a slightly discoloured river , blind fished some bouldery runs with a beadhead hare and copper and picked up two small rainbows , saw two others also . all fish caught and sighted were about the 1 1\2 - 2 lb mark . Caught another one over in the waitangaue river , this one was again the same size . Some really nice looking water round those parts but not a lot of fish that I could find , still a nice little outing , I've been a bit starved in the flyfishing since moving to Auckland from CHCH but at least the sea fishing makes up for it .

Happy fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lollypop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2002 at 6:08pm
lollypop View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

howzit hams

sounds like u had a bit of fun, was it very windy? im a threadliner and i find the wind dificult, hate to thibk what its like tryin to whip a flyline into a gap between two willows while the wind trys to catch yer line. i was on the manuwatu river on thursday learnt my lesson about keeping my hooks in good condition(im shamed to say it but they were a little rusty) lost 3 fish. im sure that there are some good spots for trout fishing, near auck go to fish&game and ask. oh and why oh why did u move to auck? bet u miss those south island browns.  all the best . cya lolly

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamstring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2002 at 8:04am
hamstring View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah it was a bit windy down there. And that always makes it a bit tricky to put your fly where you want it , upstream breeze though so it was nothing like trying to punch a fly into a canterbury nor wester. the conditions were pretty good for threadlining , a bit of colour , good flows and heaps of white bait and smelt/inanga (?) things swimming around.  I couldnt fish some of the bigger pools very effectively and a spinning outfit would of done well there I reckon ,

Any way , tight lines Lollypop.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote awa355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2002 at 8:18pm
awa355 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Hi Hamsting, I have just returned from 4 days in sth cant. Where's the water down there???  Most streams were almost dry.  I fished the Te muka river and Opihi. Landed two smaller ones. Beautiful scenery tho'. The kaimais have some nice rivers. If you ever come over this way give me a call. Te Awamutu / sth waikato has some lovely streams.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gordon G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2002 at 10:02am
Gordon G View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all

I've been fishing some of the dams in the Maniototo in Otago recently.  Water levels are all pretty good and there are some nice fish.  So far my record at landing them has been pretty dismal but I've hooked a couple I'd estimate to be at least 5lb.  Good fights with some rainbows going completely bananas and leaping like they were chased by 'couta and a  brook char (least I think it was from about 20 meters away) tail walking for yards.  I didn't mind losing them at the time, it seemed a fair fight, but the next one on the bank is definitely going in the pan!!  This has all been on spinning gear and I've just bought my fly gear so I'm off out for the weekend to make an arse of myself as I try and learn to cast (classes were all booked for a while).  Here's hoping it continues....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamstring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2002 at 7:14pm
hamstring View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've fished the opihi and the temuka bout 7 or 8 years ago and the water levels were not the best then , Sad to hear not much has changed however its a bit worrying to note the low water levels this early in the season , doesn't bode well for the salmon , maybe in the surf though. Nice rivers those , smallish trout from what I remember , I spent about twenty minutes casting to a monster in the opihi which turned out to be a salmon having a rest . and I was wondering why it was turning its nose up at all my flys . Might be down that way at xmas (chch), will be good to get back to the old stomping ground for a bit.

Happy fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waikatowanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2002 at 11:52am
waikatowanderer View Drop Down
New User
New User

hey hamstring

well if your looking for a good place to flyfish thats not to far from auckland, how bout trying the upper waihou river from state highway 5 (just outa tirau) upwards to the blue spring offers some good dry fly spring creek fishing or even threadlining using a small veltic, you can find some reasonable sized rainbow trout with a very healthy pink flesh. also a good thing to not is the lastfish i took from there was chocka with freshwater crays

hope this offer you some interesting opportunities  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hamstring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2003 at 1:20pm
hamstring View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks WW , I might have to check it out .  Had a good couple of days over xmas around the waipapa area , second day there must of caught about 20 trout , not huge ones but most were good munching size.Have got a trip coming up back to the Kaimais soon for work so should be able to get some more action in then, Will keep you posted.