Kaiaua fishing

Page  <1 23456 28>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 4:07pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How much longer will the snapper stay in the Firth for,do you think?
As in,what is the water temp trigger point to send them out to the deeper water?
Is the gurnard fishing OK in the winter?
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 5:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Brimel Brimel wrote:

Hi
Not quite kaiaua!, but a quick post, the old boy got a 20lb snap in Omaru Bay (5 mins north of Coro town) mussel lines on Saturday, on Squidgy Softbail, not the best photo, measured 83cms.

Top fish there Brim's Dad!Clap

Was it full off mussels?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 8:23pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

As in,what is the water temp trigger point to send them out to the deeper water?
Cheerz

hey 3rnzir,
I am pretty naff at keeping decent records but you can pretty much catch snaps all year round in the firth.
sure they may get slow and not bite hard and for very long but put in the effort maybe sb's or ya jigs over any bits of sign out there will do the trick..and good chsnce you might snag a jd or carrot.
hey its good too get out anyway!
here is report from last july

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/firth-not-skunked_topic92912_post1328278.html?KW=#1328278
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:47pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dragging softbaits seems to be a good way to target the gurnard in the firth.
The firth fishes well all year , you just have your good and bad days.I usually head further up the coast this time of year and fish alot closer to shore.

Omaru bay farms are an awesome spot , bush billy has posted some reports of some great fishing in that area in the past.

well done on the 20lber , beauty snapThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 10:02am
Brimel View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes full of mussels, old boy said his teeth were pretty much gone!

He always fishes on a line with no droppers, so was probably (on light softbait gear) the only way he would have got it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drakar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 6:11am
Drakar1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another great weekend in the Firth, plenty of kahawai and snapps still about. Water temp still at 13 degrees. Shot up to the mussel farm as the barge was working and watched some nice fish come aboard the 3 or 4 boats sitting in there. Popped out to the 15m mark and proceeded to bring up some fat healthy snapper. Equalled my pb for the firth with 2 at 63cm.
Get out and enjoy while the fishing is hot.
All fish had stomachs loaded with anchovies or pilchards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 9:56am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeehaa...nice report Drakar!- sounds like its going real good out that way.
Typical when Im finding it hard to get outUnhappy
Thanks for report..(I think!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 4:03pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

63cms Drakar1.
Gives me something to try and beat.
Good job cobber.
You using bait or lures?
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 9:42pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Cheerz

Last winter I found fishing in the firth pretty good. In some ways better than the summer as less of the smaller fish around.  I tended to fish either a bit deeper or right in close to some foul. Usually fished there once a week or sometimes more and it was good right through.
Can't tell you about this year as i am no longer in the area but from reading through various threads on here seems pretty good.
Good luck.

As for gurnard......did catch a few but if you want better ones hit the manukau or anywhere on the west coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drakar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 6:57am
Drakar1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

3rnzir,
Just using lures - so much easier and cleaner.
Last year my 63 was on a softbait in about 5m of water near the mussel farm.
I'll try to report each time I go out and post the temp - so a bit of a record can be kept.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 7:51pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone been out today?
Plan on heading out tomorrow and possibly Monday.
Will post a FR (Fishing Report) all going well.
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Couta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 3:08pm
Couta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Launched at Guy C Goss ramp at 7.15 yesterday and shot up to the farms to have a look around and decide what to do. The wind was up around 12 to 15 knts and a bit lumpy so softbaiting was out. The wind was with the tide so hooked up between the ropes with 2 hooks and had a perfect line for the burley and a strayline. Colin was down first and hooked up before i even had my line in the water a nice fish about 3 pound. A steady flow of fish came aboard for the next 2 hrs and we had our limit for the 3 of us. Biggest was 9lb with 3 around 5 or 6lb and the rest 34 to 40cm. Plenty of fish put back between 30 and 34cm we all had a ball a great days winter fishing. Got back to the ramp at 11.30 just before we ran out of water to get up the creek, stopped and had a cofee at kaiawa and home by 2pm, perfect day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 4:12pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff couta!Thats good going to get out before low tide also.
Neat to know still fishing good..
where do you find is the best coffee up there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 5:13pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We went early from Waikawau this morning, Went out to the farms off Kerata. Heap of burley but only managed  2 keeper snapper in 4hrs. Went out past the farms and got a couple of KY.
Came back to the ramp 1 1/2hr before low but still had to push the boat up the creek.  Clogged up with debris from last weeks storm. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 7:42pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

we have had to push the boat 2hrs from low ever since the last cyclone. Even after they dredged we still had to get out at the red pole and push around the corner. Used to be able to come in at dead low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drakar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 6:50am
Drakar1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Took the kids out for a fish on Sat. Left GC Goss at about 11:30 - Couta, must have seen you leaving as we headed out, and gave the kids a good intro to Kahawai fishing. Tide very low and just made it out. Not so many snapper about (kept 3 from 35-40), but must admit didn't concentrate to much on that - was assisting the kids too much. Just followed the terns and sooties. Fish still full of anchovies. Fishing in 10-15m of water just off the mussel farm. Water temp still around the 12-13 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 7:09am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always good for the kids, Water temp seem very cold where you are Drakar, We didn't get below 15.4 the whole day yesterday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drakar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 1:06pm
Drakar1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep - very interesting as I have spoken to a few others whom have 2 temp gauges on board. They stated one was reading 14 and one at 17. So must admit my isn't calibrated.
Mine is reading hole degree - don't have one to 1 or 2 dp. Plus its just a cheap fish finder. Waiting for the misses to buy me a new one for my Bday? Fingers crossed......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Couta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:58pm
Couta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes  Drakar1 was watching you heading out digging another chanel at the entrance with your prop sure couldn't have been any later was a real low tide on saturday.
One of my mates got stuck at the entrance going out, they had to sit it out for 4 hrs for tide to go out and back in LOL
My temp reading was 12.5 so same as you, interesting?
Caught our snaps in the farms so must have lucked onto the spot, your kids were full of excitement leaving the ramp they couldn't wait to get out there was great to see, glad you had a good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Couta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:04pm
Couta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes  Drakar1 was watching you heading out digging another chanel at the entrance with your prop sure couldn't have been any later was a real low tide on saturday.
One of my mates got stuck at the entrance going out, they had to sit it out for 4 hrs for tide to go out and back in LOL
My temp reading was 12.5 so same as you, interesting?
Caught our snaps in the farms so must have lucked onto the spot, your kids were full of excitement leaving the ramp they couldn't wait to get out there was great to see, glad you had a good day.
Page  <1 23456 28>