Kaiaua fishing

Page  <1 2324252627 28>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:59pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I didn't want to be accused of posting photos of death piles, but here you go Skunk. Just to pre-empt any comments about "where is the ice", this photo was taken post final count and immediately prior to 2 bags of ice being deployed on top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had an early morning session down in the shallow end of the Firth with Drakar and his neighbour sunday morning.
Was comedy at the launch with a bit of muppetry resulting in the boat floating out at the quarry ramp not attached to me by rope.
We could swim , wait for some one else to come and launch, hope that it drifted close to some where we could get to, or best idea was make a lassoo and act like john Wayne.
The neighbour was a good cowboy and had soon rounded up drakar 1 for us .
He must have wondered what he had got himself into!
Anyway only delayed by a few minutes we cruised down to the spot and had a very solid morning pulling in snaps until the tide turned and the norwester pumped up a messy sea and hopeless set for straylining so chucked it in with a great bin of fish by that stage.
Az made a pig of himself with a great 70cm snap,pulled like a schoolboy in the sub-4m water.
Next best was 53cm and all over 34cm.
Fantastic skinny water results again from the firth.
Sorry about the very average bin photo.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:06pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good work Skunk. That area sure is producing the goods lately. Would have been a crack up to witness the antics at the ramp.....don't suppose you have video do you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:44pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Boyo Boyo wrote:

..don't suppose you have video do you.

Nah sorry ,No pics so didnt happen .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick report from this morning's excursion..
Good early start ,so had lines in the water just after 6 I guess.
First snapper was a healthy 50cm +
Was a slowish bite but keeping 36cm and over had us gather a nice feed.
The skipper Az had a nice shark on that miraculously turned into a respectable kingfish of just under a metre.
A great first for us down the firth shallows and we're eating well with kingi,carrot and snaps.
Pulled the pin early and back in at 11 as the souwester was really starting to pump..
Good luck to the boys launching when we came in .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:08pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice bag Skunk! Guessing you weren’t in the mussle farms. Each Kingi I snag amounts the ropes parts ways pretty quickly. I hear 80pound line helps though. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:38am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good effort Skunk. Good to see the shallows consistently producing the goods. Was a bit rough to go south for my grandsons initiation into fishing so we took your advice and went north into the farms. Leytz hooked up first after a few minutes and landed a legal snapper then not long after he was struggling with a bigger fish that his dad gave him a hand with. The look on his face when it came over the side in the net was priceless and measured at 53cm...... another angler was hooked on fishing. Leytz ended up out fishing his dad and I at 5 out of the 6 binned. The conditions in the farm were not too bad water wise but gusting to 17 knots which makes for an awkward lie with the incoming tide. Good to see Fisheries at the gate checking catches when we left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:07am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Nice bag Skunk! Guessing you weren’t in the mussle farms. Each Kingi I snag amounts the ropes parts ways pretty quickly. I hear 80pound line helps though. 

No mate we were fishing right at the bottom of the Firth, sub 4m.
no issues with obstructions there!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:10am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Boyo]. The look on his face when it came over the side in the net was priceless and measured at 53cm...... another angler was hooked on fishing.
Nice mate, that's wicked and what its all about.
Good result for the poop weather yesterday arvo.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:21pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out yesterday to the mussel farms. I’m a Lifetime Manukau harbour fisherman so rarely venture anywhere else but the forecast looked sheltered over by Waikawau so I thought why not.

I found a little spot straight out in the farm not far from the ramp, tied up and spent the next 4 hours trying very hard to put dinner in the bin.

We only managed a few tiny snapper and one undersized gurnard. Also got a couple of hammerheads.

Tried fresh caught jack Mack’s both as bait and livies, squid, mullet, kahawai but nothing decent. Even had the barge right next to us for an hour or so doing maintenance but still couldn’t get past the pickers.

Thought about moving but saw others moving a lot so thought they may be having a bad day too.

Wasn’t till we got to the ramp and saw that the other boats had cleaned up on decent fish. Went home with my tail between my legs.

Tried ledger rigs and stray line rigs. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here! Second time ive been zilched in the farms though now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a bugger Gurnard. We all go through patches like that from timev to time
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:58am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

That's a bugger Gurnard. We all go through patches like that from timev to time

Yep. I had a pretty good run last year actually and I seem to have lost my mojo quite a bit this year. From breaking things and having issues here and there accompanied with poor catches. That’s fishing though and when I start having good runs again I will appreciate it a lot more
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's a bitch Gurnard but it does happen - the mussel farms are not always hot. If there are no harvesting barges then look for rows with lots of buoys sitting up high and the smell of rotting mussels in the air. This normally indicates a recently harvested row which may hold fish beneath. Fishing out deep beyond the farms can be productive at times but at this time of year the shallows hold some really good Snapper and usually Gurnard. I launched from Kaiuau on Sunday morning and bashed my way south to a position in line with Pak N Save at Thames where there was good sign but I was preoccupied helping my novice crew so never had a chance to do much fishing myself. Drakar was fishing nearby and looked to be doing ok.
What were the conditions like at Waikawau on Sunday because in the morning on the Kaiaua side it was ****.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 3:37pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Conditions were pretty good Boyo. A bit of wind obviously but sheltered from coro.

I thought about going to the shallow end of the firth actually. May give it a shot this weekend depending on what my mates up to. How long does it take launching at Kaiaua to get to the shallower bottom end ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:17pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

6 to 8km in the direction of Piako River mouth from Kaiaua. Until you have 4m under you. That is where we have had consistent results in the past. How fast you do that distance will give you a time. Under 10 mins for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 10:41am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Gurnard

Depends on conditions. On a good day about 15 minutes from the Guy C Goss ramp. On Sunday it took 30 minutes there and 40 back. There is a ramp at Kopu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 6:05pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ahhh thanks guys. What’s that Kopu ramp like? Plan is to head out Monday at this Point. Although may be tempted to head to the Manukau 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:03am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kopu ramp used to be OK. Have not used it for a over a year. Avoid the very bottom of the tide - my leg trapped once in a hole between big stones. Strong current can make it tough for a solo. Takes quite a bit longer to get to the spot I mentioned than from Kaiaua (preferred). My patience finally rewarded with a Guy C Goss membership so that's where I'll be going now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:58am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last Friday I dodged work and headed up to the farms with my good mate Jimmy with the idea of targeting Johnnie's and maybe picking up the odd snapper bycatch. We launched to a stunning sunrise and made the short trip up to the farms. With Jimmy at the helm we selected a recently harvested row and deployed the hooks. I couldn't believe it when Jimmy declared he'd left the berley pot sitting on the fence at home but luckily he had some onion bags. If that wasn't bad enough he then discovered the live bait pump wasn't working so we were going to be swapping between sabiki rod and Johnnie rods all day. It wasn't long before the first Johnnie inhaled a livey and up came a nice wee 40cm fish well hooked in the gills. There were a couple more Johnnie's that devoured a livey but they weren't hooked and they spat it out when they saw the boat....one them felt like a stonker too. After a long pause Johnny number 4 struck and we boated a nice 49cm 4 pound 11 ounce fish. Love it when a plan comes together.
We did get some nice pennies as well.
Off the water at 11am and off to the pub for a quick beer and a bite to eat before the trip home.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:59pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one boyo, I love those jds😋
Page  <1 2324252627 28>