FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kahawai, Snaps, Johny's and a couple little rats..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fishwisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahawai, Snaps, Johny's and a couple little rats..
    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:13pm
fishwisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A fun day in the little FC - Kahawai, Snaps, Johny's and a couple little rats....
With a few weeks of catching Snapper Pea and I decided it was time for a change, the plan was to try and get a few livies and drop them down the berley trail in hope those tasty John dory would show up or maybe even a King or two. Most times we just head down the bay to a few spots we know hold them but we also decided to head a little North and try a few of our old school spots on the Northern side of Whangaparoa.
We launched just after 9.00 in a white out, the fog was thick so the little Lowrance Ti7 proved to be invaluable as we headed to a near by point. We use to fish this spot often and when the Gannets flew high near by we new there was good bait schools, anchoring in 5-6mtrs we would catch livies and send them straight back down only to be smashed with in minutes by Johny's and Kings. We were hoping this spot would still fire for us and dropping the pick and berley only time would tell.
This place bait fish wise can be absolutely insane at times and this is why the Kings and Johny's hang around here. Being a little more late in the season I knew the Johny's would probably show more than Kingfish but the Johny's were the main reason we were here. Waiting for the berley to work and bring baitfish in we decided to flick a few baits out for some Snaps while we waited, the plan was to also try a couple of livies for some bigger Snaps if we got the chance. It was pretty airy sitting in the fog but it slowly lifted through the morning.
We were having a bit of fun on the Snaps when my livebait rod gave that telltale sign something was interested, it slowly bent over and I knew then this was hopefully going to be our first Johnny. It wasn't a biggie but it was a dory and we were on the board, being in only 4mtrs of water I could see the berley and pumping it every now and then I could see the bait fish come in. Occasionally we would see that hazy figure we were after, Johny's would come in and investigate our Mac's. Pea was next to hook up onto one which was a lot nicer size, our old spot was defiantly still producing the goods for us.
As the fog lifted I could see we were in a little closer than I thought and where we use to fish, with no more interest in our last two livey's after 10mins we decided to do a little shift further out. It was pretty quiet and spotting some birds working we quickly up anchored and trolled our last to livebaits around, they got smashed but only by Kahawai. We were hoping there was a King or two in the mix but no, losing our livey's Pea went to the stick bait for a bit of fun. Instant hook ups to Kahawai once again although it would of been nice for a King Pea was happy to bin a couple for tea. We decided to head down to Army's to see if there were any workups that way and a spot of fishing around Welly reef. With no bird action and some nice sign showing up on the Lowrance we dropped the pick once more, dropping the berley over the side we had what we thought was yellows come in instantly until we could see that bluey color of Koheru.
We had to change from our sabiki rig to a single hook, mushing up a pillie they would come in and we dropped a little bit of bait in amongst them to hook up and use for fresh livey's. They are quite hard to catch at times as they seem to know the bait isn't natural most times, it's easier to just float a baited sprat hook in the trail for them.
We set our livey rods once more but once again with it being quiet we started flicking out some baits, we even had rat kings picking up scraps of pillie and following up our Snaps we were catching. Every now and then our livey's were grabbed by Johny's but mid fight they would let go and got very frustrating. We must have dropped a good 5-6 of them, The snapper started to really come on the bite and a couple hours in our Johnny plan fell away like the ones we dropped and just concentrated on the Snaps for a couple hours.
We had a couple nice fish show up for us before we left to - It was an awesome day out in the little tin with a good mixed bag of Kahawai, Johny's, Snaps and although the little kings were to small to take we had a bit of fun on them if they decided to gobble up a little cube of pillie we dropped for snapper.
Although our Johnny plan didn't fully have great results it was great to see our spots still hold a fare few even though most were lost. We'll be back soon on another Johnny hunt hopefully with better results...
Tight lines