Jigging

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging
    Posted: 03 Aug 2002 at 11:41am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I started "jigging" well over 10 years ago with an old friend of mine Sean Power and the results were amazing , worked just about everywhere. I must admit I have not done much since but from what I gather it has got harder. Good results seem to happen now mainly where there are big workups and plenty of surface fish activity.This doesn't happen too often in the inner hauraki gulf.

What I would like to know is if there is anyone who does well on the open sands/ wormbed areas . Obviously you have to find the fish and a rather high resolution depth sounder is probably essential. what about the channel areas ( eg Rangitoto, Motuhie). I am planning targeting snapper with the standard "yoyo " technique so I may need to wait for the big spawning schools to arrive. Perseverance is probably the key not giving up after half an hour as is usually the case.

One day about two years ago fishing the middle grounds 15-20 m 0ff east coast bays I was jigging and my mate was bait fishing and we pretty much matched each other. We were drifting and picking up the odd fish sign on the sounder. Interestingly I was catching plenty of undersize snapper hitting jigs not much smaller than themselves.

Would be interested in anyones comments.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 7:51am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi ya Russell...

Jigging is a great pastime!...almost always have a jig tied onto at least one rig (normally braid with a mono shock leader)! We do a lot of drifting with a sea anchor in tow, so one of us will drop baits and one will drop a jig...more often then not it is the jig that gets the most action!

We have a spotx around Little Barrier, that produces good quantities of both snapper and kingies on jig!...I think the best day we had jigging on that spot was T&R of 14 kingies and many many snapper over 15lbs all on jig!...ya arms feel like they are goin' to fall off....but...hey all in the name of good fun!...
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 12:37pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kerren

Do you know where you can get braid by the meter without spending 100 bucks for miles of it?

I note you were having great success but in deep water?Have you had any consistent results closer to home?

Thanks for your reply

Russell

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 1:05pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just speaking with Pat Langevad of Auckland - Fishing Tackle, he will do braid by the meter!..in fact has a special on 80lb at the present!...I wouldn't think you would need to go that heavy for jigging purposes, but he has plenty of line classes to choose from...so call in and let him know your requirements!

671 Great South Road, Penrose - 09 579 7901....tell him I sent you and he might charge ya extra or even kick you out of his shop...

The only jigging we have done "close" to home is under work-ups or significant activity on the sounder!!

The other place jigging has proved effective is out on the Westcoast in the skipjack work-ups...heaps and heaps of fun!...skippies hit hard and fight tough on the right gear!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 5:58pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kerren

Thanks for that - I work in Neilson Street ,Penrose so that is real handy.

Russ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 5:59am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Russel, Check out www.trademe.co.nz always worth a look
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 12:27pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Kerren on 06 August 2002
Just speaking with Pat Langevad of Auckland - Fishing Tackle, he will do braid by the meter!..in fact has a special on 80lb at the present!...I
Gee Pat must've finished up with NZFishing mag?
Light Tackle Weapon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 1:36pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you are not wrong Pro_Fish!!......if you look at the Staff Photo section of the F.News you will see Peter Francis' mug-shot instead of Pat's!!