Jet Ski Collars

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet Ski Collars
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:32pm
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Collars are now installed.  Tested yesterday on the Waikato river and ready to find some rough stuff in the weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Chris, very interesting to see the addition of the collars.
Where did you get them and how much difference do they make to stability and fuel consumption??
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:59pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for posting SD. Were they easy to fit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:52am
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got them in from Australia, Jet Ski Fishing Mob.  Stability is much better and the ski feels especially stiff at my fishing cruise speed of 20 - 30 knots.  The manufacturers claim an increase in economy but I am sceptical about that because you can notice a bit of extra drag at low speed, won't know for sure until I go for a serious fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:55am
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

They were a bit fidely to fit, took about 2 hrs plus for the first side but only an hour for the second side once I got myself sorted out.  The big test will be how durable they are with them being made of closed cell foam, they do have a substantial alluminium frame inside but I will need to look after them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:35pm
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gave the collars a serious work out today.  15 plus knots of wind over tide went right around Ponui Island so tried them out in all sea angles including the normal steep slop at the bottom end.

The extra stability at speed and when drifting is amazing.  I think the fuel consumption is slightly higher at speeds up to about 20 knots due to the extra drag in the water but over that there is no difference because only about the rear 50 cm is in contact with the water except in the rough.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 11:51pm
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Update

At this stage I can not recommend these collars. 

Performance is excellent but durability is a problem.  The manufacturer in Australia is good to deal with but it appears there is still development on going and I think they have come to market too soon.  They are now coating them in a poly-urea product which is sprayed on.  I have also had issues with the mounting bolts snapping once I got into some serious conditions.

I have some ideas about fixing the issues which I will have a go at but right now they are standing up in the corner of the shed.  Haven't given up on them yet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:04am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to know, let us know how you get on..
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyson22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:50pm
Tyson22 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A long story short. I took my son out fishing a few weeks back, we lost our balance for a slit second and came off the jet ski, he was fighting a tuna at the time and we just got a bit over excited. With the box on the back it took me few minutes to get back on to the jet ski. He got back on in a flash, but I had a bit of a struggle. This freaked him out totally. It was just too much weight for the VXR with fish box and the boy on the back. I decided to order a set of Jet Ski Collars and they will be arriving this week. I'm hoping they will work for us and get the boy back on the jet ski. Any tips on the fitment? Have you worked out why your tie down bolts snapped?   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you SkiDudes, thanks for posting. I hope jetskifishingmob sorted you out . They seem reasonable in the correspondence I've had with them, but have a feeling they are selling prototypes rather than finished products, same with the pods that I nearly purchased. 

Tyson22, your capsize sucks, especially with your son on board. Glad you were both OK. 

Updates on the collars appreciated Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:30pm
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

MightyBoosh is correct that what they are selling is more like a prototype than a finished product ready for market.

That said I still have not given up on them I just haven't had the time to sort things out. 

My initial thoughts on improvements are:

-Put in as many bolts as possible, more than what they recommend, especially towards the stern.
-Accept that they are not that robust so wave jumping at 25- 30 knots is out.  Don't go hard out.
- Look at getting them coated to make them more robust and last longer.
- I will consider cutting away part of the foam that angles down on the rear meter of the collar.  This is because when underway there is a huge amount of pressure created by the water coming off the ski contacting the collar.  If I can eliminate this I think I can prevent the bolts snapping.  Stability under way is not needed as much as when sitting still and the amount of reserve buoyancy is huge so loosing a bit shouldn't be an issue. 

They will certainly prevent your capsize situation in all but the most **** conditions. 

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tyson22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
Tyson22 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My Collars arrived on Wednesday neatly wrapped in bubble plastic and boxed up. The collars are completely covered in a rubber coating, the foam not visible at all. I installed them on Thursday, and it took me about three hours. The step by step installation video made it easy, Rikko recommended I use a tire jack to push the collars up before drilling the holes in the mounting bracket. This worked well. I had to redo some bolts and nuts as they seized up when I used a cordless screwdriver. (He did mention in the installation video not to use one) 

We took it for a run yesterday afternoon and they are amazing, I was surprised by the amount of stability and no problem getting on to the jet ski. We gave them a good run at speed and in chop, less water spray from the side and not as much lean in the turns. Massive improvements all round. The collars are a quality product that will make a huge difference in our families fishing expeditions.

I can only comment on my personal experience with this company. I spoke to them before placing an order and they were upfront and honest. Rikko checked back with me about four times while I was working on the installation and was very helpful and easy to deal with.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 6:13am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Chris, did the supplier compensate you in any way given you are having to modify the product/use additional fixings etc?
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkiDudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:43am
SkiDudes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No but thats the risk I took when purchasing from off shore, no consumer garantees act applies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyson22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 4:43pm
Tyson22 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Chris, have you spoken to Rikko at all? I find it extremely hard to belief this is the same bloke I've been dealing with. He's very passionate about his Jet Ski Collars and it makes no sense that he will leave you hanging! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote JFM_Aus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:31pm
JFM_Aus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just want to start by thanking all our customers for their ongoing support. Anyone that had dealings with us knows that my phone is on 24/7 and I'm always keen to help out. If you have a problem with our product then I'll recommend contacting me directly. It's in our best interest to insure our customers are well looked after. We have supplied over 100 sets of Jet Ski Collar in our first year and have a heap of satisfied customers all over the world.  
If you had dealings with me personally then you'll know I'll never leave you hanging. Yes, we have upgraded our fitment brackets and we have upgraded our Collars, they are covered in a thick rubber coating protecting them from wear and tear. Most of our upgrades was recommended by customers and we value any feedback (positive or negative). We are always looking for ways to improve our products. 

Chris I'm not upset with u mate, it's a fail on my side for not sorting you out. I've send you a few email since you bought our Collars and somehow must have missed the once that you were unsatisfied with our service. Your more than welcome to contact me directly and lets have a go at getting you sorted.

My Mobile: +61 423 422 309 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:16am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reall well said...sounds like true customer support to me..
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Page  123>